Thread: Napoleon TW - Worst ever picture of Napoleon?!

Default Napoleon TW - Worst ever picture of Napoleon?!

Fantastic news about Napoleon TW, I've been waiting for this ever since the series began, and i'm sure it will be an incredible game,

But one thing made me laugh out loud when I opened the SEGA email was the terrible image of the man himself, which looked nothing like Napoleon at all !!!

Didn't they look at any pictures or paintings to attempt a life-like image ?!

Can't wait to see what 'Old Nosey' Wellington is going to look like...

It's going to be a long 6 months waiting
    " What a lovely country " - Napoleon at his first sight of Torquay, July 1815

Default Re: Napoleon TW - Worst ever picture of Napoleon?!

what makes me laugh is that theyre busy working on the expansion and the core game is crap, The campaign is still buggyas hell,The units that came with the game are just sad with very little historical uniqueness they are pretty much the same for all factions?! Oh but the DLC that we had to Pay for. I know, big deal it was only 4 bucks. Multiplayer is just a flat out disgrace its completely unstable, MP functionality and ease of use is very bad. Getting into a stable MP game and playing it from begining to end is nearly impossible.

The game is basically still a work in progress and CA expects its customers to slog through this mess to be thier beta testers

Now here comes NTW. How much are we going to have to pay for this?? an add on campaign maybe some new units $10-$20? I think CA ought to be paying us for going through all the frustration of playing the game.

But we'll all pony up the cash again and get yet another unfinished rushed to release game

CA please fix the game itself before expanding it

Thanks~
    Last edited by Nelson; 08-20-2009 at 00:57. Reason: language

I've supported ETW. I've tried to tell people it's a fun game. I haven't experienced too many bugs. But I am flat-out not going to buy any sort of expansion until the CAI is fixed.

I was having fun, trading, being mostly peaceful but still invading poland (whihc had taken the east half of europe, i had the west) and then all of a sudden the marathas, russians, and ottomans all DOW me. They were my trading partners ever since the start of the game, and all of a sudden they decided to be idiots.

The battle AI is decent enough to almost offer me a challenge, but i'm always frustrated at how the units have so much trouble following orders. Having them walk forward at the proper pace is hard enough, let alone *gasp* moving over a small fence that is all over the maps. The unit refuses to fire until that one guy shows up 10 minutes later, making the whole unit "tired".

I'm sorry CA, but you have lost another supporter.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Not falling for another one. Will not buy. Also, is it legal to post or link to the picture yet? It would be helpful for those who didn't get that email to see waht you're talking about. Also, I love how thsi has turned into a 'why I won't buy NTW' after the OP.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 08-20-2009 at 03:15.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I goto admit guys

when this game first came out I was mr glass half full because I saw the potential if the game was fixed

the game had alot of issues

but now I see the patches are slow coming, the update activity has gone quiet, MP is still the unwanted mongoloid child under the stairs.

and now talk of an expansion - already - excuse me

Im starting to think their (CA) idea of how a total war game plays and mine are miles apart.

I look at the patch which made the game like M2TW border war diplomacy and steam roll the world strategy, CAI to frustrate and hinder player - but with no actual programmed goal or idea how to win its own game against the other AI nations let alone the player

The philosophy behind these games has changed in the last two titles

and I dont think the game in the CA 'completed' form is a game I will want to play, with any challenge or replayability or GAMEPLAY

these guys think this is how the game should play - like some retarded suicidal hinderance to the player

and the hope dies

Last edited by Yun Dog; 08-20-2009 at 03:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

anyway, sorta-back-on-topic....

I signed up for the email stuff, is there any reason that I never get it? I check my spam filter, but I still don't recieve updates so I never knew about NTW until this thread..

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Just show me the picture. You've made me cutious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is the full email:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Link: http://www.sega.co.uk/games/napoleon-total-war/
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-20-2009 at 13:23.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Yes, they did overmasculinize his face quite a bit but I think they were going for a post exile older angrier Napoleon.

PS) Lol @ the Russia BS in the video. Tame the Russians...
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

The only thing I really care about that's related to this upcoming Napoleon game is how many folks (as in programmers) at CA are working on FINISHING ETW given the fact that the new game is due in Feb!? My wild guess, maybe ONE... That's if we're lucky.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I wonder what happens if Nap dies in a battle during the RTI-esque story that the game will have. For instance one time I tried to play episode three of the RTI and Washington died due to a lucky arty shot, yet when I won the battle, the game continued as normal eventhough my commander was dead.

I remember when that happened in my game, he was the first to die ina battle. Like no one else died, only him up untill that point. FF sucks...
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Blog Entries

I think Napolon was played by Chris Barrie. I think it is a uncanny resemblance to him.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-20-2009 at 23:01.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Looking at the INCREdible graphics in the screenshots you can see where 99% of the progamming budget has gone

I guess having scripted predetermined campaigns will make the absence of an AI less apparent

Man was I stupid... I bought ETW.. I shoulda known with CA you always wait for evolution stage

instead I got the pre alpha version of NTW

On topic: I thought Bonie looked like a chubby faced mommys boy? That guy looks like "let see what the ROCK is cooking"
    its pevergeren.

Blog Entries

Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Like this?

HA HA HA HA HA

good work
    its pevergeren.

rofl don't mess with mumsy!

on the topic of most ugly picture of napoleon, I don't know, normally all the Total War pictures of soldiers look like theyre all angsty, angry and constipated. So just making napoleon look like the rest of their pictures, although I must say good job on the movie, looks very realistic.
    Last edited by Durallan; 08-21-2009 at 10:38.
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Desperately Seeking Tamworth Member Ethelred Unread's Avatar

Good to hear the exquisite French accent dude from MTW2 too.

I love that guy.
    "The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials"

Quote Originally Posted by Durallan View Post
    rofl don't mess with mumsy!

on the topic of most ugly picture of napoleon, I don't know, normally all the Total War pictures of soldiers look like theyre all angsty, angry and constipated. So just making napoleon look like the rest of their pictures, although I must say good job on the movie, looks very realistic.
    Yes, the facial motion capture qas quite epic.

Blog Entries

Here is the new official facelift.

sorry about all the smiley but that is too funny, lol
    Last edited by Durallan; 08-22-2009 at 07:30.
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Personally, I think he looks even better than his real portraits. They gave him a meaner look but it looks good. I'm sure the historian purists won't like it though. I'm curious how they plan to use ole Boney in the game. Can you play him? if so, what if he dies? Or is his pic just there to inspire us all to buy the game?

As for the talk about coming out with a new game/expansion before ETW is fully fixed you have to remember that this is what CA has always done. They get a game out. Put a few patches out and then move onto their next in the series. Thats been their business model since they started. I dont see it changing considering they have yet to change their ways after all these years. I figure either they cant figure out how to fix their mistakes/bugs or too lazy to. Either way it doesnt speak well of them from an operations stand point. I kinda lean towards both. Just my own opinion though. They fix what they know how to in the early patches and then sorta give up on the other problems because they dont know how. They just move on to the next in the series.

apparently the campaign will be a bit like RTI in 3 parts
    first 2 you play boney on his march to emperor and third is like a grand campaign thing apparently and oyu can play his enemies or him

on the part about CA's business strategy, the only problem is if thats true, is thats like when you are building the foundations for a tower, oyu ingore the bits you did wrong and keep on building, and keep ingnoring problems that get worse and worse until in a strong breeze the whole thing comes down on ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Here is the new official facelift.

Now that's sucess!

Looking at wikipedia, Napoleon looks like a woman.
    Last edited by Alsatia; 08-23-2009 at 11:01.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

That's not saying much... All the later French monarchs looked like women.

That's even more embarrasing for English/Austrian/Prussian armies you know. They got trounced by a semi-obese short Corsican that almost looked like a woman. Then the Russians spanked him...

Blog Entries

I think I read somewhere that the Napoleon was not short, it was just that Englands and France's systems of measurement were different; what was 5 foot 7 inches in England was only 5 feet in France. Seeing as the only tailors who dared to take a measuring tape to him was french, it got confused.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 09-03-2009 at 02:52.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And there was a difference between the 2 countries measurement systems.