Thread: Help needed with MedMod v4.07

Default Help needed with MedMod v4.07

Hello, I'm currently trying out Wes's MedMod v4.07 (I'm sure there are other professional mods for mtw1 but I am only able to try out one at a time!). I downloaded the mod from the official site:

h t t p : / /
    w e s . a p o l y t o n . n e t / (without all the spaces!)

On that site, there is a file to download and install for the mod (v4.07, 19 Megs). I have downloaded and installed this file.

Below that, there is another file to download (v4 Stratmap). However it then says beneath v4 Stratmap 'Note: This file is not needed if you set your strategic map resolution to one greater than the default 800x600'. I play at resolution 1600 x 1200, does that mean I require v4 Stratmap or not? I have not so far downloaded or installed this file.

I started early campaign playing as the Aragonese. I noticed that the campaign map is somewhat strange, with regions sized differently from standard, although this is not noticeable just by looking at the campaign map. I also noticed just east of the papal states, there is a port that appears to be sitting in the sea. Is this how the mod is meant to be, or am I missing something?

Another strange thing I have noticed while observing with my agent units the armies of other nations is that the English military armies are comprised mostly of Claymore units (i.e. Scottish units), while the Scottish and Welsh armies are comprised mostly of Fyrdmen units (i.e. English units)! Again, am I missing something here?

Please could someone with experience of this mod clarify the issues I have raised.

Thanks!

Default Re: Help needed with MedMod v4.07

Welcome to the .org daviduk109,

The strategy map issue is quite simple, as there is an 2048 x 1536 pixels image and a 4096 x 3072 pixels image. You need to download the larger strategy map file (yes the wording on Wes' site is confusing in that respect).

The Medmod campaign map has a differing province layout in some regions (.e. new provinces added and some provinces resized or removed). You will be able to see this clearly once you've downloaded the larger map texture.

The port sitting in the sea problem is also due to the map texture, Venice would be about there as a little island (zoomed) in a box.

Your last point is due to rebelling troop mixes. This is a known issue in the medmod and is probably due to the strict homelands the mod uses for units. The only way to resolve this is a bit of home modding. In general the Medmod is one of the best mods for MTW, but it requires more tweaking than some other mod.

Thanks for the quick reply. So for the v4.07 medmod from wes's site, what files do I need to download and isntall and in what order?

I guess this invalidates my current campaign!

Another question, is it the case with all mods and all versions of the game, that when a faction's army is attacked and decides to 'retreat', that the army always retreats out of the province even if there is a castle that the army could retreat at least some of it's units to, thereby losing the province to the attacking faction? I have played XL mod quite a bit but I can't recall if that was the case with the XL mod.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daviduk109 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. So for the v4.07 medmod from wes's site, what files do I need to download and isntall and in what order?

I guess this invalidates my current campaign!
    You just need to download that 25MB campmap file and you're done. You can carry on with your current campaign then.

Quote Originally Posted by daviduk109 View Post
    Another question, is it the case with all mods and all versions of the game, that when a faction's army is attacked and decides to 'retreat', that the army always retreats out of the province even if there is a castle that the army could retreat at least some of it's units to, thereby losing the province to the attacking faction? I have played XL mod quite a bit but I can't recall if that was the case with the XL mod.

Thanks
    In MTW the AI often abandons the province entirely instead of retreating to the castle, it's just one of those things. Modding has no real effect on this.