Thread: 1.3, Grenzers still NOT in the campaign game!?...

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default 1.3, Grenzers still NOT in the campaign game!?...

I thought, this was explicitly stated in some 1.3 related CA note, that Grenzers will finally be available in the campaign game.

I'm playing Austria and no Grenzers, despite having researched the necessary tech and having the highest level barracks in Austria. I know, I can mod them into the game, by fixing the 'non-existent' region stated as their training place. But still, how sloppy (patching) is that!?... In 3 patches CA has not been able to fix such a basic glitch.
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-21-2009 at 21:50.

Default Re: 1.3, Grenzers still NOT in the campaign game!?...

Did you start the campaign before 1.3 was released?

Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    Did you start the campaign before 1.3 was released?
    No, after!

And, opening the units.db, I can easily see tha the same error that was there before 1.3, is still preventing Grentzers from appearing in the strat. game...
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-22-2009 at 05:53.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I made a post on this some time ago. Not only do they not show up but if you look at the tech required to get them it also makes no sense because they don't have rifles.

They have one more point of morale than Jaegers and better melee is all.

Austria has no rifle units at the moment. Their Jaegers should be rifle equipped but they took them away in 1.2.

They have only the two air rifle units (Windbüchse Jaegers) and they require Austria's unique tech to build.

Just like the lack of French Dragoons and the presence of French Riflemen, it points up the entire lack of historical reality with regard to this game.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

There seems to be a bug in the building of grenzers, I found if I rebuilt the military governors building in the right area I could then recruit them,if I already had the right building in place before researching the tech to unlock them they wouldnt appear.

This is with a vanilla ETW install no mods etc

The important part is they can only be recruited in 2 areas if you read the description but I only recruited them in croatia, I think it is, not from trannsylvania so no idea if both areas are like this i've never seen them in the latter area.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Thanks for the info and Welcome aboard icecolduk.

That is helpful but I don‘t know if they are really worth all the bother.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Fisherking, Grenzers sure are worth "the trouble". Due to the double-barreled muskets, Grenzers have double the fire-power of Jaegers. They're killing machines...

Here's a simple way how to get them (one would need the db editor that's floating around the modding forums).

If you open the units_db file, you'll notice that the entry for the geographical region for grenzers says "grenzers" (that's the bug). For the air-riflemen the same entry says "austrian_starting_territories" (or something like that). If you paste the entry from the air-riflemen into the corresponding field for grenzers, grenzers become available in Austria (I had the top level barracks there, but I do not think those are needed) and in Hungary (military governor's building).
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-22-2009 at 17:02.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icecolduk View Post
    There seems to be a bug in the building of grenzers, I found if I rebuilt the military governors building in the right area I could then recruit them,if I already had the right building in place before researching the tech to unlock them they wouldnt appear.

This is with a vanilla ETW install no mods etc

The important part is they can only be recruited in 2 areas if you read the description but I only recruited them in croatia, I think it is, not from trannsylvania so no idea if both areas are like this i've never seen them in the latter area.

Go to TWCENTER.net and download imperial splendour. They provide a gameplay patch-up for these sorts of things. The units available are muuuuuuch better balanced and they include them all. Oh, the game is totally different and better than vanilla as of the latest release.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 08-29-2009 at 15:02.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is it a really good mod? Or does it just add units?

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    Is it a really good mod? Or does it just add units?
    It's a good mod, making the game much more challenging. However, if you play the mod, note that the team has been designed it for normal campaign and battle difficulty (there was no other way to minimize the over-aggressive AI on harder difficulties). On normal campaign difficulty Imperial Splendor's AI's unit upkeep costs are about 50% to 33% of what the player pays, so beware that you'll face huge stacks (in good numbers) while you'll be able to afford barely an army or two.

Also, beware that in IS autofire is not always the best option for line infantry. Muskets are much more accurate at close distance so, running up-close, releasing a volley and then charging can be much deadlier than exchanging volleys from a distance.
    Last edited by Slaists; 09-10-2009 at 16:14.