Thread: Insane AI dow's

Default Insane AI dow's

Is there a mod,or a patch as such that fixes the random stupid DOw's by the AI? As GB I took Berlin early,Savoy declared war on me foe some reason which is extremely dumb as it's now at war with Austria,france,UP and spain. Also the native amercians appear to be more war-like that anyone else,as I had the Cherokees down to 1 province and was re-training my army in preperation for the final push,when the INuit Nations declared war on me,and started sending one unit at a time to burn my towns,when I found extremely irritating..

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Insane AI dow's

I don’t know that there is a mod that fixes it. Everyone hates it but all I can say is in 1.3.1 it is better than it was in 1.2. That is no conciliation, I know.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Default suggest

Could anyone suggest a good printer for my IBM.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oz_wwjd View Post
    Is there a mod,or a patch as such that fixes the random stupid DOw's by the AI? As GB I took Berlin early,Savoy declared war on me foe some reason which is extremely dumb as it's now at war with Austria,france,UP and spain. Also the native amercians appear to be more war-like that anyone else,as I had the Cherokees down to 1 province and was re-training my army in preperation for the final push,when the INuit Nations declared war on me,and started sending one unit at a time to burn my towns,when I found extremely irritating..
    If you have some stupid, random DOW that you feel you cannot live with, reload the auto-save from the last turn. I do it on cases, when, for example, I play as Britain and Poland (or my trading partners Prussia, or Sweden...) declares war on the 13 colonies. This happens routinely in 1.3.1. Guess what, reloading the auto-save eliminates the random, nonsensical DOW (in most cases). As a warning though, the reload tends to be more successful in regards to AI declaring a war on your allies/protectorates or allies going to war with allies; not so successful when a major AI faction declares a war on YOU...

Of course, it is disheartening to reload an autosave if you had to fight several big battles on the turn-start BEFORE the stupid DOW...
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-24-2009 at 16:07.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had to stop the game. Two of my protectorates keep wanting to declare war on each other and it is annoying me, as I don't want them at war as it means I lose one of them as a protectorate.

One iss Morocco, which I conquered North Africa, then gave give it to them, so I get money and don't need to do upkeep/hassle of it. The other is Portugal where I conquered Spain and Gib and gave it to them.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-24-2009 at 19:00.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I had to stop the game. Two of my protectorates keep wanting to declare war on each other and it is annoying me, as I don't want them at war as it means I lose one of them as a protectorate.

One iss Morocco, which I conquered North Africa, then gave give it to them, so I get money and don't need to do upkeep/hassle of it. The other is Portugal where I conquered Spain and Gib and gave it to them.
    That's (when two protectorates go to fight each other) exactly the case when an autosave reload could save your setup. Not sure about this particular one though. Gibraltar seems to be the hard-coded key province for a guaranteed conflict with Morocco. Either the faction that holds Gibraltar declares war on Morocco or vice versa... One solution would be to give Spain to Portugal, while Gibraltar gets shoved to some uninterested 3rd party (Georgia is a good choice), but it seems, it's too late for your game since you've given Gibraltar to Portugal already. One way to salvage that would be to trade Gibraltar back from Portugal and then give it to Georgia.

I had a similar buildup. I conquered Southern Italy and gave it to Portugal. However, France (at war with Portugal) held Rome and had a big stack there ready to wipe out Portuguese from the peninsula the minute I left. So, I destroyed the French army and gave Rome to Georgia (no relationship to me, as Britain, whatsoever). Interestingly enough, that removed the Spanish army approaching form Lombardy aiming for Naples as well. Still, some 40 turns later, Georgia holds Rome developing the province. Neither the French, nor the Spanish, nor my protectorate (Portugal) have gone to war with Georgia. Neither has Georgia declared war on any of them. As a side bonus, Rome's wealth has given Georgia a boost and they've conquered Russian Northern Caucasus, Dagestan, Armenia and Azerbaijan...

It seems, that a faction having any kind of relationship (trade agreement, alliance, military access, etc.) with the player faction is a "red flag" for AI's aggressiveness. So, if you want to create a safe buffer between your protectorate and the AI (or two protectorates), or just secure a flank for your own faction, throw in a faction from a remote theater that you have no agreements with... Peace is likely to endure.

Silly, I know. But that's the way the game is now...
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-24-2009 at 19:43.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I decided to go to war with Morroco, I can patch it up later.

However, now I got a dreaded CTD caused by something the Iroqui's are doing. However, being in Europe (I am Sweden) and nothing in America, I can't see anything causing it. I went to war with them but it seems not to have solved the problem.

The reason I do the protectorates thing, is simply because I don't want to actually own those provinces and to safeguard my interests, my idea was to get a protectorate in the area, and remap the whole location under my rule. For incident, I unified Italy under the rule of the Italian States, who is my Protectorate. The Iberian is now under Portugal. North Africa (where the Barbars were) is now owned by Morocco.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

The DoWs have annoyed me so much that I don't play any more. Perhaps if they manage to fix the problem I will start up again.

I found that when you get to about 25 provinces or so, the admin costs become so high that it is only worth keeping rich ones. May as well give the crappy ones away to protectorates, you get money at least, for no cost, and hopefully the protectorate gets stronger and annoys the enemy more. Often though they just lose them by not garrisoning them.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Quote Originally Posted by aimlesswanderer View Post
    The DoWs have annoyed me so much that I don't play any more. Perhaps if they manage to fix the problem I will start up again.

I found that when you get to about 25 provinces or so, the admin costs become so high that it is only worth keeping rich ones. May as well give the crappy ones away to protectorates, you get money at least, for no cost, and hopefully the protectorate gets stronger and annoys the enemy more. Often though they just lose them by not garrisoning them.
    Hmm... You must be doing something wrong. You can make ANY province rich if you do your research right and minimize nobility taxes at the start of the game. In my Turkish campaign, I had 25 provinces and by 1760 or so, they were all cranking out way more in taxes by (20-30 K per turn) than I was spending on the military and that was on VH.

I concentrated my research on the enlightenment and industrial side + max developed every economic building I could. By 1760, my tax income would jump up by close to 1000 per turn just from economic growth.

That is really cool.:smiley2

And Courland is suicidal.