Thread: The tech tree in NTW

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default The tech tree in NTW

So, if the tech tree carries over to NTW, obviously some changes are going to need to be made. I'd feel quite silly if Napoleon attempted to take over Europe without first having bothered to equip his soldiers with bayonets.

Things like light infantry, rifles, and so on would already be in place.

So, I see three solutions:

First, either CA is lazy and just starts off with all technologies researched and disables the tech tree.

Second, CA comes up with a new tech tree.

Third, CA is really, really, lazy and just starts us off with the default techs.

What say you, Orgahs?
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Default Re: The tech tree in NTW

Better damn well have some new arty Tech. Maybe battle tactics and logistics tech. Also I feel it annoying when one has to research wedge when its been in use since roman times. Kind of silly if you ask me...
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Logistics tech sounds plausable since in one of the articles I read it stated that you will have to manage your resources and supplying your army.

Maybe you can go from using one horse to using two horses to transport goods! It should take at least five turns to do because everyone knows you can't just use two horses to pull transports over night, that takes at least a year or two game time to figure out.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 08-23-2009 at 21:08.

I think the tech tree is a fundamental part of ETW and I sure hope they have a new tree. I don't know too much about techs in that era, so I can't suggest anything. However I did find it silly that you first year or two is often spent researching the ability to make fences around your farms...

However while the wedge formation was used since medieval (or pre-medieval) times, the new age meant that most cavalry also had swords instead of big lances. My guess is that perhaps they had decided to skip out on this tactic for a while, and now you can research it because it is making a comeback in terms of usefulness.

Once again, I don't know much about this era historically, these are just my guesses.

There's something else I was going to say but forgot...

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's more of a case that farms were private owned and it took two years to pass a bill or something.

I mean, it takes 4 years to write a book on warfare. Hasn't that already have been done?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

From what I understood, NTW is a whole new game, not an expansion to ETW. If so, I doubt they'll use the same tech tree. They might even scratch the whole thing.