Thread: Light Infantry, how do you fight with them and why?

Question Light Infantry, how do you fight with them and why?

Ok this is a shameless rip-off Fisherking's Line Infantry idea here but for Light Inf. They seem quite useful as a flanking or screening force in Early custom battles and in the campaign to support the line. In Late battles they seem to be out classed by the rifle armed units.

So how do you use them, am I missing the point of them.

And on a sort of related note what are the prose and cones to putting them in wooded areas?

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: Light Infantry, how do you fight with them and why?

I believe you mean 'Pros' and 'Cons'.

anyway,
    I personally don't really like light infantry until rifles become vailable, and I say that for 2 reasons:

1. They are only half the size of normal units. This means that if they get in either a melee or a shooting match with any normal sized units, they will lose.

2. They don't have too much higher of a range than normal line infantry. Because of this and slow reloading times, they might get off 1 shot at a marching enemy before that enemy (assuming they are standard 70-range line infantry) is able to fire back. So, combining that with the half size, and the fact that at a distance of 90 (feet? metres?) most of the rounds wil miss anyway, you end up with only a couple men dead, and a ton still advancing at you.

However, I have also used them to great effect in several examples:

They are a great city garrison for a well-controlled, easily protected city where the enemy will not attack. especially in Crimea or Russia.

If you aer fighting an all- or mostly- cavalry army, light infantry is what you want to use; can deploy stakes mid-battle, have a bit longer range than line infantry, and cavalry + stakes + current A.I.= lots of dead horses. This happened with an insurrection in Crimea once:

So I have 5 units of light infantry (extremely low upkeep BTW) and a howitzer when a rebellion pops up. "no biggy, they probably just used a ton of melee cavalry", well I was right. So, I advanced in a pentagonal formation, with the howitzers in the center. Once I get in arty range, I open fire on the enemy. obviously doesn't do much, but it makes them attack me.
    So, I move up a little more, place stakes, and wait. After a litle more 'enticement' from my arty, they finally charged. They might as well have charged over a cliff. massacre and a very short melee ensued, in which i lost a couple men. after the army routed, i moved on to take the general, who routed after my arty bombarded him.

So yes, Light inf. have their uses, but they are very limited.

I suppose using a couple on the flanks to fire at the enemy while they are engaged with your line isn't a bad idea, but with certain formations it's difficult to do (namely the shallow 'V' formation)
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

I was very surprised recently when 2-3 full units of my Pandours and a understrength Streltsy unit fought off 3 full line infantry units in/around a small village. I had the pandours set on 'light inf' behaviour and kept moving them to keep them out of melee (as the skirmish function doesn't work properly...) but despite their lower shooting accuracy, they did a very good job (so I'll try not to call them them 'smurfs' any more).

Their ability to move stealthily while walking and to hide easily in most terrain probably meant the line infantry were initially surprised (when the pandours fired on them) and attempted to redeploy only to come into range of other pandour units which opened fire from enfilade leading the line infantry to redeploy yet again (effectively stopping them from firing back all the while suffering losses).

Cheers,
    Dreadnought2

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    I believe you mean 'Pros' and 'Cons'.

anyway,
    I personally don't really like light infantry until rifles become vailable, and I say that for 2 reasons:

1. They are only half the size of normal units. This means that if they get in either a melee or a shooting match with any normal sized units, they will lose.

2. They don't have too much higher of a range than normal line infantry. Because of this and slow reloading times, they might get off 1 shot at a marching enemy before that enemy (assuming they are standard 70-range line infantry) is able to fire back. So, combining that with the half size, and the fact that at a distance of 90 (feet? metres?) most of the rounds wil miss anyway, you end up with only a couple men dead, and a ton still advancing at you.
    I quite like the light infantry actually (until the rifles become available).

• They are more nimble than line infantry and much more responsive and effective for flanking (and protecting flanks). On the same note, they're great at HIDING in the flanks, creating an illusion of unprotected gaps.
    • Most of the light infantry types have high accuracy and reload (except the very early ones) so their firing isn't that slow. Just stretch them out thin for better punch.
    • Several early light infantry types can hide while walking, making them even better for flanking/ambushing roles.
    • Exploding mines and fugases can rout several enemy units. Especially, if the icing on the cake is put by a well timed canister shot (to coincide with the explosion or happen just after).
    • The upkeep is less than for line infantry.
    • They're poor man's cavalry for the purposes of catching routing line infantry and militias (in the early game).
    • In early North American wars, the native musketeers work great as cheap "extra fire" when deployed in front of line infantry. Who cares if some get killed by friendly fire. They're cheap.

TIPS:

• Don't leave them in a one-on-one duel with line infantry. use their speed to get them away from danger. This means micromanaging though. In my opinion, the skirmish should kick in to keep the light infantry out of musket range, not out of melee range.
    • One can set up an ambush for AI's cavalry by deploying 3-4 early light units hiding somewhere (preferably bushes or tall grass) away from the main army. Put a single cavalry unit in front and watch the AI cavalry go for the bait. Just walk (or run) your cavalry through the hiding lights and watch the AI cavalry perish. Not that it would not perish anyway (by charging your cannons), but it's still a fun thing to do.
    • Once proper light infantry becomes available (not pandours & the likes), in defensive battles, don't forget to deploy mines in front of your artillery (not too close, just in about the musket range).

DISLIKES:

• The skirmish does not work when the enemy closes in for melee.
    • The skirmish does not work to keep the light infantry out of musket range.
    • Light infantry behavior is bugged so that light infantry if moved by "click and drag" faces in the wrong direction once they arrive at their destination.
    • Light infantry frequently continues shooting after the enemy has moved out of their range.
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-28-2009 at 15:00.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I like to put them in buildings during city/fort battles, with regular infantry guards. Their enhanced accuracy comes into play but you don't have to worry about losing half of them to a single line infantry volley.

Other than that, I find that putting them on the flanks and using them in the same fashion as RTW's skirmishers works wonders. Flanking musket fire seems to have quite an effect on morale. They can also sneak up and snipe at the enemy general if you can work it.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

The main role I give light infantry in ETW, is the same as it was in real life. I deploy it ahead of my main battle line in order to fend off the enemy light infantry and long range missile troops such as native bowmen and armed citizen militia who otherwise stand off and decimate your line infantry.

Once these infantry have been defeated or the main assault begins I withdraw them through the main battle line and either reform them as a reserve or move them to the attack the enemies flanks.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I think it's also worth pointing out that most light infantry use mass fire, which gives them a HUGE advantage over other infantry prior to fire-by-rank. On large units, they've got 20 more men firing than a regular 120 man line infantry unit (assuming 3 lines). And more accurately too.
    Actually the numbers would be a bit off due to the flag bearer/drummer/officer, but you get the idea.

So I'd say that, in the early game at least, light infantry can serve in the line as regulars, provided you've got somewhere to pull them back to when the enemy infantry comes in (Hooray for stakes).

Of course, that only applies to states that can get light infantry prior to the final tech tier where they reside normally...
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    I think it's also worth pointing out that most light infantry use mass fire, which gives them a HUGE advantage over other infantry prior to fire-by-rank. On large units, they've got 20 more men firing than a regular 120 man line infantry unit (assuming 3 lines). And more accurately too.Actually the numbers would be a bit off due to the flag bearer/drummer/officer, but you get the idea.

So I'd say that, in the early game at least, light infantry can serve in the line as regulars, provided you've got somewhere to pull them back to when the enemy infantry comes in (Hooray for stakes).

Of course, that only applies to states that can get light infantry prior to the final tech tier where they reside normally...
    This works ok in theory. However, in practice, light infantry does not have the staying power of a 120 line even before the fire-by-rank becomes available. OK, in the first salvo, the light infantry might have the advantage. Once they receive the response salvo, they're likely to lose around 20% of the unit; so, only 48 men will be delivering the second salvo whereas the line will still have 40 shooters (the rear rows filling in the gaps). Try it out, a light infantry unit does not stand a chance in an extended shootout against a full line unit (before fire by rank) if both units start in firing range.
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-29-2009 at 17:24.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

If I get a chance, this week I'll try to test out a couple battles with light VS Line infantry. see the minimum light inf. that can beat a standard line inf.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    If I get a chance, this week I'll try to test out a couple battles with light VS Line infantry. see the minimum light inf. that can beat a standard line inf.
    Well, light infantry 1 on 1 CAN beat a line infantry unit if you micromanage the lights (running them back after each salvo, etc.). If you have more than one light unit, it's even easier.

A horde of light infantry can kill line infantry with ease.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Two lights will make hash out of a line unit but that is not using them correctly.

They take a lot of management. You have to keep them out of range of line infantry to use their true advantage.

I use them to screen my front at the beginning of the battle and then withdraw them and put them on a flank. Their fire on a flank of the enemy force will shred the units within range.

Use them in pairs. If you are a stickler for detailed organization, you should note that they are only a half company or that line infantry are two companies so an actual battalion is only 4 line units with a light company and a grenadier company.

I try to use three in a full stack. In the Americas this will be much higher, obviously. The only difference between rifles and lights is the range. Use them the same way.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Windbushe Jaegers are the best.

They are I hate fighting them online as there a bit too good lol

Anyway when i said Light Infantry I meant the unit with 80 range not the rifle units :)

I did use some to good effect online about a week ago. I used 2 light inf and 2 Frei-korps which I left hidden an till my opponent had started shooting at my main line of Line inf and rifles I then attacked his right flank with cav and ran my light inf up to shoot into it wall his units were disrupted and could not fire back. It worked well but he wanted a rematch and as he knew what my army was and could do that time and I messed up he destroyed me

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
    They are I hate fighting them online as there a bit too good lol

Anyway when i said Light Infantry I meant the unit with 80 range not the rifle units :)

I did use some to good effect online about a week ago. I used 2 light inf and 2 Frei-korps which I left hidden an till my opponent had started shooting at my main line of Line inf and rifles I then attacked his right flank with cav and ran my light inf up to shoot into it wall his units were disrupted and could not fire back. It worked well but he wanted a rematch and as he knew what my army was and could do that time and I messed up he destroyed me
    When you rely on surprise it is hard to give it up and still have a chance.

The rematch using the same armies was not such a good idea.

Seldom does an enemy know the exact unit he will face but when he dose he is likely to win...

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Yep, but its all in good fun.