Thread: Big Concern due to game mechanics differences

Default Big Concern due to game mechanics differences

Ok, i have extensive rtw and to a lesser degree mtw2 multiplayer experience. Years spent in Arcani which was and still is an elite level tournament clan in TW games.

Heres the problem with med2 that you guys want to know about. In med 2 a dynamic was introduced regarding archery that made crossbows ineffective if another unit was placed between a x-bowman and his target. No probs sounds accurate...

the problem is that this applies to regular archers and horse archers also, im not sure about javs, the problem as you might imagine is now horse archers will be gimped being used (best) firing at certain angles into the rear of heavy infantry and whatever else.

furthermore, i believe it was the practice in some armies to deploy archers behind the main infantry line (?) and fire over friendly troops in volleys at the enemy. This wont work in the current system... or it will with dramatically weaker results.

just pointing this out and if you guys have a found a way to deal with this, then great.

let me know whats up guys.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Big Concern due to game mechanics differences

Are you refering to the fact that archers shoot in ridiculously steep parabolic arcs?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I don't quite understand the issue, because I've tested with archers, horse archers, javelineers and horse javelineers and didn't see any difficulty in firing over friendly units. One thing that happened in RTW as well is if a friendly unit is engaged in melee with an enemy unit, the missile/skirmish units usually stop firing, but if you order them to keep firing, they will.

Can you explain more explicitly (screenshot, drawing, etc) how the situation that you mentioned occurs? Thanks.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

well nothing on hand as med 2 has been on the outs for awhile now. best i can think of is to talk to some of the men and get more detailed for you that way, we might have something about this in our strat forum, that is unless we left it behind when we switched forums.

i'll ask tho. cheers.

As for the steep parabolic arcs, yes exactly you'll notice that they have nearly 0 effectiveness when that happens. basically archers try to shoot over anything in between their target and themselves, using those arcs and being rendered basically useless.
    Last edited by Arcani_Bar_Kochba; 09-22-2009 at 02:30.

so can this animation be taken out of game?

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arcani_Bar_Kochba View Post
    well nothing on hand as med 2 has been on the outs for awhile
    As for the steep parabolic arcs, yes exactly you'll notice that they have nearly 0 effectiveness when that happens. basically archers try to shoot over anything in between their target and themselves, using those arcs and being rendered basically useless.
    I'm confused: this doesn't actually seem like a massive deal to me, the steep firing arc is used by units in MTW2 that don't have a direct line of sight to their target. So yes, if there is another unit or a map object (e.g wall, building...) blocking that line of sight, the unit will fire on a much steeper arc.

That said, I'm not sure this does apply to line of sight as I distinctly remember lining up crossbow units behind each other on a bridge, at optimal spacing, so that they could all use the "horizontal" firing arc.

So i guess the "vertical" firing arc kicks in as an alternative to the (more effective) horzontal firing arc, when the later would be obstructed by another friendly unit or map object.

Panic over.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Its rather unrealistic but I beleive you can constrain arcs somewhat though you have to be careful or your archers become too picky and dont' fire even with LOS. SS has a realistic archery mod but the version I have is too strick and crossbowmen are incredibly finicky.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009