Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586
Results 2,551 to 2,558 of 2558

Thread: Pirate Ship Mafia [Concluded]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pirate Ship Mafia (Concluded)

I just noticed, that the quote for the Fanatical Loyalist reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatical Loyalist
    It’s your call, Bill. I’ll back you either way.
    ~ Colonel Saul Tigh, to his commanding officer
    AWESOME

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tratorix View Post
    The idea of Split/Tincow fanfiction is both hilarious and disturbing. The game room sure has gotten weird these days.
    Are you insulting my woman?

split is a pretty, pretty princess!

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Default Re: Pirate Ship Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Well...[snip]
    But Louis, that screenshot is dated at 10/21 don't you have anything of that conviction earlier...

I'm not going to sit here and argue against you knowing everything and just getting gold.

I will disagree fully with your support of the town group being successful (and four extra Mafia members not doing anything, really? ). When you say "we" figured everyone out, you must mean you, because as far as I could tell in the thread, only Yaropolk strongly had the opinion I was Mafia, aside from that brief voting period which was rolled back just as easily.

As for the Four Horseman and their role, I will let the most eloquent Kanye finish it for me:

Yo Louis, I-I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but the Four Horseman were one of the best Mafia killers of all time! One of the best Mafia killers of all time!

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

Great game everyone! Too bad that vig group took me out early on, I really missed out on some action. GH, those write-ups are awesome.
    Strikeout!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I'm a klutz. I just discovered and read Page 83 (at 30 ppp) for the first time. As a lot of that had some interesting commentary, here's some more of my thoughts regarding balancing and such:

-edit- Hmm, in the middle of typing this and it's going way longer than I originally expected it to be. I guess you can count this as my traditional "state of the Gameroom" essay I've been doing after my recent Large games (Mafia VIII and Godfather 3).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I can now say from firsthand experience that hosting these kinds of games is a pain. Highly rewarding, yes, but still a pain. There's so much preparatory work to be done. I knew this was coming and had been working on it on-and-off since May 2008 (which is earlier than some of your join dates. I feel old), but when the time came to finally write up all of the roles and do the entire night phase process, from processing to writing to sending out the feedback PMs, I was still shocked. This was so far from a typical GH game that it felt like it wasn't mine anymore.

I did implement several measures to reduce the possibility of this game turning into a repeat of Capo III, and I think I was successful at this. While the results may have been same, the methods that achieved them were not, and in this I take solace and claim victory. First of all, there was the entire treasure aspect of the game, which forced people to choose their priorities. I'll get to this later. Secondly, which has been mentioned numerous times, was the nerfing of the protection group's power. It was a strict 1-for-1 trade, with no single group being able to thwart multiple kills. In addition, if the mafia or town vigilante groups ever brought more than the minimum amount of firepower, protection groups would have a greater chance of failure.

In addition to this, I totally masked divining other players' actions through your own feedback PMs. Anyone in a protection group that received a night PM from me can attest to this. First of all, whether the protections were successful or whether they were just inconclusive, they read the same way: "XYZ is still alive." Secondly, you received the amount of gold you were expecting to receive, so you wouldn't know if anything went wrong that way. For example, if you sent orders in for a protection group that had 4 people, and only 3 people sent them in, you still only got the 7 or 8 gold instead of the full 10.

Moving away from the groups, the forced recruitment mechanic also helped. One thing the mafia are always concerned about in Capo is, during their recruitment efforts, going after a target that would end up exposing you all (I believe Andres and Louis are intimately familiar with this). In Pirate Ship, you're either susceptible or not, and you get no say in the matter. Once again, I think this mechanic proved to work quite well when CA and the British loaded up on recruits early on and looked to compensate for a sagging Maven team. They were even lined up to get a third, Lord Winter, and I think they found taka susceptible too at that point, but were unable to get it through thanks to a chronic case of Four Horsemen-itis.

I was asked about how I think things would have went had it not been for the presence (no pun intended) of the Horsemen. Ultimately, I don't think it would have changed the end result, although things would have been a lot closer. Say gibson doesn't get whacked early on. Sigurd still gets lynched, but he and Reenk team up to kill for a while, and his presence provides another lynch buffer. Meanwhile, on the British side, ricera still gets lynched and CA still gets targeted by CR's network, but they have one original member alive in scottish. Sasaki may or may not have survived by this point, but I think the ultimate result is two weakened teams by Day 7 instead of just Reenk allying with a desperate TinCow. From there it's anyone's guess, but ultimately CR was still too entrenched for the mafia to really cause chaos.

Moving on to the Faustian treasure offer of Night 7, this was something I had in my mind for a while, kind of a final safety valve to pull in the case of all of my other balancing measures failed and the town was looking supreme (it was, but not because of my balancing). The premise of it was to allow for one night's total breakdown in the testudo strategy and see exactly how much damage the mafia could cause. Gamey? Perhaps, but at the time I was a bit depressed at the game's direction and already treating it as a test run for Pirate Ship Mafia II. I sent the PM to everybody save for CR, Louis, and TinCow, who were the officers at the time, under explicit instructions not to mention it to anyone. Eventually word got out, but most people still went for the treasure. In all, there was 150 treasure waiting to be divided up. I originally thought that 14 players went for it, meaning everybody would get 10.7 treasure (rounded up to 11). However, upon rechecking my PMs I discovered a 15th, but at that point I was too lazy to go back and rework everyone's totals. Congrats on those who resisted the impulse, especially before the leak (only ACIN explicitly refused it before word got out, IIRC).

All in all, I think the treasure mechanic had mixed results. Was it a godsend for immersion and roleplaying? Yes, or at least I think so. However, did it make this game the game theorist's paradise that I dreamed of and Louis made a note of early on? I don't think so. The only time I really felt the game was truly providing the chaos and mayhem and agonizing choice-making I was aiming for was Night 7, when the treasure offer was sent. I attribute this to making the differences in rewards between protection and vigging marginal. If you sent in orders with the minimal amount of partners, you got the same gold, regardless. Likewise, if you upped your crew count by one over the minimum, the average gold given out for protections was 7.5, or 0.5 less than if you did a vig group +1. Combine this with the inherent difficulties of a vig group (lots of protection groups and the stewards/Quartermaster) and it just wasn't worth making up the essentially meaningless difference in treasure. As a result, the individual townie's strategy quite often matched up with the town's as a whole, which is not what I was aiming for.

In tweaking for the sequel, I am going to spend the majority of my time reworking on the above aspect. I want to create the distinction between individual and group motivations. I want the players to have to make difficult choices about what they do every night; almost to have them in Diplomacy-esque situations where you have to screw somebody over. I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to do this yet, be it through increasing the treasure total if you do vig kills, making it harder to gain treasure through protection groups, or more common but less large-scale Faustian offers, almost making them in-game random events. I don't know how it will happen, but it *will* happen.

ATPG mentioned in his wrap-up post that how we needed to shy away from the group games because they were becoming unbeatable. I respectfully disagree. It took me one Huge game to figure it out, but the groups can be overcome if you provide enough incentive for players to not join a group. I'm going to be spending my time figuring out exactly how to do this, and once I finally do, Pirate Ship Mafia II will roll around the corner and we'll be able to test out if I was right.

First, though, I will be returning to my roots and hosting the ultra-vanilla Mafia IX, where the town must root out the mafia purely through posting behavior and good detective work. But after that, though... well...

...the sky is clear, the decks freshly swabbed, and the ship afitted with new sails. Treasure awaits, laddies, and the Presence may just be ready for another voyage. I hope you'll all join me aboard when the time comes.

~ General Hankerchief
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Blog Entries

That was really interesting, and really enlightening as to how much work and effort you put into this. I've been thuinking about roles for my mafia game in the summer all day, and although I've got most of them down, I'm already pretty exhausted
    ...the sky is clear, the decks freshly swabbed, and the ship afitted with new sails. Treasure awaits, laddies, and the Presence may just be ready for another voyage. I hope you'll all join me aboard when the time comes.
    Arr, of course Cap'n

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Awesome game!!

Didn't stop reading despite my early death, even when the town was looking strong there was still plenty of entertainment and intrigue... Its no worries about my early death, I just feel bad I ended up taking woad with me...

Thanks GH!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

2 cute to execute Member Joooray's Avatar

Thanks a whole lot GH for hosting this game. It was great fun.

Also big thanks to all the other players for making this so enjoyable.

I'm happy our accidental group of four could at least function as a laboratory animals, though I'm still very sad we couldn't make more out of it. I blame you, Sasaki!! I was at that point convinced you, GH, had added a new special role after your slip up, with the sole goal of going after us. Really became paranoid over it, so I now have an idea of what playing as mafia must feel like.
    Still can't believe I was lynched over a maven, really gotta work on my playing skills, especially on convincing people of my innocence. Though the officers at that time and when w&f was about to be lynched can prove I tried my very best. I had also gathered a nice sum of money at that point so it's a real shame.

Well anyway, I'm looking forward to the next pirate ship mafia and will make sure to join the crew again.

Supreme Victory, The Shadow Fort
    © Crazed Rabbit

Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586