Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacred Band

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

Default Sacred Band

Does anyone know where this might be from? Is there a Carthaginian preview I am unaware of? The little symbol next to the dude on the far right looks like something from EB...

Parthian Nationalist

Default Re: Sacred Band

This is RS isn't it?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

I'd guess Rome total realism, they've got those glossy faction icons
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Yep its RTR

Roma surrectum and RTR have really beautiful units - sometimes I asked myself if they were MTW2 mods.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Will EB have awesome Facial Hairs like that?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Zradha Pahlavan View Post
    Does anyone know where this might be from? Is there a Carthaginian preview I am unaware of? The little symbol next to the dude on the far right looks like something from EB...

RTR Iberian conflict. refer to twcenter.net for more information
    From the markets of Lilibeo to the Sacred Band in the halls of Astarte, from those halls to the Senate of Safot Softin BiKarthadast as Lilibeo representative

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Will EB have awesome Facial Hairs like that?
    Actually, because many of us have trouble growing facial hair, we don't want our units to have the glorious beards we lack. We're jealous enough of the guys as it is.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paullus View Post
    Actually, because many of us have trouble growing facial hair, we don't want our units to have the glorious beards we lack. We're jealous enough of the guys as it is.
    well, if you have low self esteem, just do this. you will feel a bit better. (first 13 senconds)

speaking of sacred band: why are the shields the way they just plain white?
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-01-2009 at 00:42.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    well, if you have low self esteem, just do this. you will feel a bit better. (first 13 senconds)

speaking of sacred band: why are the shields the way they just plain white?
    I guees they look more badass like that...
    It has probably to do sth with white being the colour of death for the Carthaginians, so they would wan't to intimidate the enemy in such way...

A bit of the topic... Wil the Sacred Band remain in EBII? Since i think there are no historical records of them being used

Yep this sacred band appears in RTR: the Iberian conflict.

Alhtough there "ready" stance has changed alot - on this pick they use the Vanilla phalanx formation while in game they use overhand spear with shield wall ability. There the best infantry unit in the whole mod.

I also have heard that white was the Carthaginian colour of death and was ment to intimidate the enemy - I wonder if it really worked...
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Sacred Band

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    A bit of the topic... Wil the Sacred Band remain in EBII? Since i think there are no historical records of them being used
    The SB description in EB1 mentions them being destroyed in the battles for Sicily before EB's time-frame. However, later records mention an elite-unit that took the Sacred-Band's traditional position in the battleline. The name and identity of this unit are not known, so EB went with the older Sacred Band.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by HunGeneral View Post
    I also have heard that white was the Carthaginian colour of death and was ment to intimidate the enemy - I wonder if it really worked...
    Given the color white and an elephant, I would be more terrified of the elephant.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

I have trouble keeping it in check. I gues you should give the Germanics some fine looking beards.

IMHO all the "barbarians" should have nice manly beards, to frighten the "civilized" hellenes and other little boys

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    IMHO all the "barbarians" should have nice manly beards, to frighten the "civilized" hellenes and other little boys
    I think we should also let the nomads grow nice mustacheses to make them look more terrfying
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 11-01-2009 at 19:56. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    amen to that.

now we sould see if any barbarian can mach this guy's beard:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-01-2009 at 20:31.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

I've got a full beard. Actually I look pretty germanic I guess considering I've got long hair too.

Anyone

Much?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parthian_prince.JPG 
Views:	1145 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	262  
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 11-03-2009 at 02:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    The SB description in EB1 mentions them being destroyed in the battles for Sicily before EB's time-frame. However, later records mention an elite-unit that took the Sacred-Band's traditional position in the battleline. The name and identity of this unit are not known, so EB went with the older Sacred Band.
    Correct. What the Sacred Band really was was the elite right wing of the hoplite phalanx. The Greeks merely referred to it as 'sort of sacred band'. Similarly, the more elite and better equipped of the Carthaginian nobles in the cavalry were viewed as a sacred band.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I've got a full beard. Actually I look pretty germanic I guess considering I've got long hair too.
    Well you were Belgian right? Then there's a good chance you do have Germanic ancestors and Belgian (Celtic/Germanic), you should send a photo of you to the EB team for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit View Post
    Correct. What the Sacred Band really was was the elite right wing of the hoplite phalanx. The Greeks merely referred to it as 'sort of sacred band'. Similarly, the more elite and better equipped of the Carthaginian nobles in the cavalry were viewed as a sacred band.
    That makes sense, so they should probably form part of my battle line next time i play with carthage. I never really used them, since i thought they were never used. I didn't even think the name was given to them by the greeks

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

Does anyone else think this guy looks like he's holding a chainsaw?
    I never knew the 'barbarians' were so advanced.
    Parthian Nationalist

Leatherhead wasn't that advanced

that's a sword. I think you already know that though

and he's an Arab-specifically abd al-malik ibn marwan, who was an umayyad Caliph in the late 7th century. this particular coin was before he began to issue a style of dinar independant of the roman pattern, which presented the faces of people on it. He decided we need a new unique style, to flip the finger at the Byzantines, who at the time partially controlled the mint.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-03-2009 at 04:57.

Yes, Ancient Space Marines - if we could only be that lucky....

Imperial Stormtrooper from Star Wars!

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Anyone

Much?
    Now thats what I call a moustahce worthy for a Roman-killer

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    Imperial Stormtrooper from Star Wars!

Sent by Emperor Palpatine to secure Earth as a base of operations in conquering another universe? That does sound great

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Sacred Band

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit View Post
    Do you mean that there isn't solid evidence that these were sacred units? I am surprised. I thought we knew a bit more about them.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

just fyi, this unit is also in RTR-FoE which we will be releasing in a few days...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast