Thread: Modified Shimazu 1530 campaign

Default Modified Shimazu 1530 campaign

I tried a few medieval games, but it keeps crashing to desktop randomly, so back to shogun it is.

I decided to modify unit stats for what I hope will be a more interesting game.

Yari ashigaru are modified to have the stats of yari samurai (same speed and still "peasants" though).
    Yari samurai have 4 attack, 4 defense, and 4 morale added.

Since the AI normally builds tons of these, boosting them should make it more challenging

Added 4 morale to archers since the AI builds a lot of those and they often rout easy.
    Increased the charge of cavalry units to compensate somewhat, and because I like a strong charge for cav units

Added 3 defense to heavy cav to help the AI daimyo's survive.

Added 3 attack and 3 defense to monk units to make them super scary They are almost like a 60 man ninja unit now.

Obviously, I won't train any ashis, yaris, monks, and heavy cav. The idea is to compensate for the AI's inability to tech up. This way I will have to tech up just to keep on their level.

Also added javelins to naginata infantry just for fun.

Normally I disband all "non allowed" units at the start of these campaigns, but that would leave me with just 2 archers

I leave my spears as garrison, build 2 more archers and invade Higo, they retreat once the battle starts.

Very short on money...

For the next 5 years or so I build ports and get alliances. Get a horse dojo and train a couple cavalry archers. The rebels retreat from bungo and I seige the castle to the ground.

Alliances are providing a lot of income, but hojo and uesugi go to war. I back hojo, who dies next turn

Taking a shot at chikugo. They have 2 archers, 1 ya, and 1 ys. Here you see my cavalry taking frickin forever to cross the bridge. I rashly decide to charge them into a unit of archers (testing out the new charge value) but they only kill 20 before they get caught from behind and rout.

I whittle away at the defenders, sending a unit of archers out an then stopping it on the bridge as the infantry attacks. When I'm out of arrows I withdraw.

Not quite as planned, but I got the dangerous yari sam unit down to 10 men and the ashi unit down to 15.

Invading again, this time with my heir. CA gets over the bridge nicely this time and draws the archers away. Most of my archers get slaughtered by the remaining infantry and an archer unit that charges in while my cavalry is routing the other archer unit.

Close one

I get the legendary swordsman event, a VERY welcome sight.

I take chikuzen and have my first few units of no dachi. I send most of my men into buzen and the imagawa take the opportunity to invade chikugo with 240 archers to my 83.

Nice to be on the defending side of this bridge for once.

The enemy clumps its soldiers together, blocking their view and making them easy targets. I target the taisho unit and have my 20 man archer unit charge and retreat repeatedly so that the the enemy units keep skirmishing away and don't settle down to shoot. Things aren't looking so good though, I'm considering whether to withdraw again before I lose my archer unit.

Miraculous! I shoot down the enemy general and the whole army flees. I give chase, praying they don't rally.

Killed 104, lost 20. Gained a new 2 star taisho as well.

All of my allies cancel, putting a crimp on my income, but I have 5 ports and a couple richer provinces now.

So far, excellent

Usually I am much farther after 10 years, but not having cheap spear units and having to respect how dangerous the yari sam are really slows you down.

Default Re: Modified Shimazu 1530 campaign

Seems challenging - good luck!
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    I tried a few medieval games, but it keeps crashing to desktop randomly
    Funnily enough I spent ages looking for my old copy of MTW today as I fancied giving the Samurai Wars mod a go. I was so excited when I found it I rushed downstairs to immediately install it on my laptop, only to discover there was no disk in the box. It`s probably been that way for years. Anyways, I too am back on Shogun, it always seems to be this time of year that I get the urge to play again.

On another note, how do you modify those unit stats?
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Invasion of Harima using my heir. 323 troops to 322, nice advantage...

Forgot to take screens of the first part of the battle. The enemy put a unit of yari sam and a unit of archers in the woods at the bottom of the screen, and 200 more archers in the woods straight ahead. Their ambush didn't work because the taisho units can't hide in shogun

I set two of my archers up on the hill where they did good damage. I got the yari sam to chase one of my no dachi up a hill while my archer unit shot at it, then the no-dachi turned around and my cavalry hit the unit from behind routing it.

No chance. Killed 316 lost 69.

Assaulted the castle to get my heir up to rank 4. Farming rank 4 generals will be crucial. I hope to get him to rank 6 eventually.

Iyo is invaded, the AI retreats. Have built a fortress and famous sword dojo in satsuma. Here I am invading Nagato, you can see the rebels starting to withdraw after I outflanked them, this has happened several times so far this campaign. Kill about 60.

Will have to build up some more troops before advancing. I'm worried about rebellions as well, have had taxes on super low for a while but will be converting to christianity soon. The other clans ally with me again, welcome income.

I will hold in Nagato for a while, building an armory. Plan is to conquer shikoku and then awaji for the iron sand deposits. Nagato-Bizen-Awaji is only a three province front. Once I have muskets I will take kawachi and hope to lure the monks into attacking the bridge. Then I will roll through the mori lands.

Excellent...I'm very nearly ready for it, the citadel is being built and I have my final two large castles on the way. Uesugi seems to be doing well, perhaps I will have a dangerous opponent. I may train some ninja to send after his adversaries.

I build more no-dachi and send my heir to invade Tosa. Send my cavalry around behind and my infantry around the flank of the enemy army (mostly ashigaru...)

As usual when you outflank the AI, the send their units at you piecemeal. All my guys are engaged and they still have three units out of it, including their lone yari sam. About equal casualties so far, the beefed up yari ashigaru are doing well, looks like I actually have a reason to flank them.

No dachi's kill fast and die fast, battle ends in a chain rout and my cavalry mop up.

Assaulted the castle, 11 wins for my guy now. Building a cathedral and several trading posts, should boost my income considerably. Pumping out shinobi and priests. They keep getting assassinated though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    Funnily enough I spent ages looking for my old copy of MTW today as I fancied giving the Samurai Wars mod a go. I was so excited when I found it I rushed downstairs to immediately install it on my laptop, only to discover there was no disk in the box. It`s probably been that way for years. Anyways, I too am back on Shogun, it always seems to be this time of year that I get the urge to play again.

On another note, how do you modify those unit stats?
    Go into the troopstats file in the main shogun folder. Then just edit the numbers:

YariSamurai
    {
    0, 1, 6, 10, 10, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 1500, 0, 4, 6, 2, 6, 0,60
    }

0 charge
    4 attack
    6 defense
    2 armor
    6 morale

The new yari samurai...haven't had to face more than one so far for some reason.

WarriorMonk
    {
    0, 1, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 1500, 4, 8, 5, 1, 8, 0, 60
    }

4 charge
    8 attack
    5 defense
    1 armor
    8 morale

The new monks, looking forward to taking yamashiro

The defense of naginata and the attack of no dachi

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Cheers mate, I might give this a go when I finish my current game.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Chainsaw monks...