Thread: Any successors to STW?

Default Any successors to STW?

Okay, don't get the wrong idea here, Gents. I'm a huuuuuge fan of STW and have owned a copy of it in one form or another since it came out (how many years ago?).

But I'm just wondering, since it seems there is nothing more from this developer that is taking the sim to the next level, are there any other games that are good enough to "take the baton" so to speak?

I did a brief search and came up with some pc games that are a mere shadow of what STW is (which speaks volumes for how far ahead of it's time STW was when it came out). I looked into Takeda but from what I can see, it looks really lame by comparison.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Default Re: Any successors to STW?

I don't think there are. Sid meirs gettysburg has a very good battle simulation that is somewhat similar. Predates shogun though.

http://www.elecplay.com/images/featu...tory/RTS14.jpg

EUII has a great strategy map (no battles though). I think a lot of TW fans like the paradox games.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 11-30-2009 at 02:02.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

If you have MTW/VI you can try the Samurai Warlords Beta 8 mod. There's a sub-forum for it in the Hosted Mods for MTW section. I've only played Beta 5 MP (which was great fun), but many have posted that they really enjoy the single-player campaign, that it is quite challenging.

You can find download links to the current version in Puzz3D's signature.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    I don't think there are. Sid meirs gettysburg has a very good battle simulation that is somewhat similar. Predates shogun though.

http://www.elecplay.com/images/featu...tory/RTS14.jpg

EUII has a great strategy map (no battles though). I think a lot of TW fans like the paradox games.
    Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific: I meant a game that simulates the warfare in mideval Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    If you have MTW/VI you can try the Samurai Warlords Beta 8 mod. There's a sub-forum for it in the Hosted Mods for MTW section. I've only played Beta 5 MP (which was great fun), but many have posted that they really enjoy the single-player campaign, that it is quite challenging.

You can find download links to the current version in Puzz3D's signature.
    Three questions please:

1. It looks like I need some Viking thing...where do I get that part of it?

2. How does this sim compare to STW? Is it a big leap in quality? What about it is better?

3. Is this going to be sold as the next STW?

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_ View Post
    Three questions please:

1. It looks like I need some Viking thing...where do I get that part of it?
    Viking Invasion (VI) is the expansion for MTW1. It must be purchased if you don't already have it. It's not included with the basic MTW1.

2. How does this sim compare to STW? Is it a big leap in quality? What about it is better?
    It's a modification of Medieval TW Viking Invasion, made to look and feel like Shogun. There are many more clans in the campaign and depending on which one you choose it can be very challenging from what I've read. The engine is MTW, so it feels like MTW, and MTW is the TW game that followed Shogun, hence (arguably) an improvement in many ways. Graphics quality is MTW1, so not up to modern standards, but the maps, terrain objects, units, and flags have been altered to look very much like Shogun. There is a Shogun music pack for it too.

3. Is this going to be sold as the next STW?
    It's a mod of Medieval Total War Viking Invasion, not retail software, so no.

I advise bouncing over to the SamWars subforum under MTW and reading about it in its dedicated forum. A good amount of praise for it there.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Blog Entries

I haven't kept a check on it, but at the total war center check out 'ran no jidai' its on the rome total war engine so you'll need that, I'm not even sure if its finished yet but, hell it looks good.

The closest game is MTW, in terms of gameplay, imo. A worthy successor from a certain point of view, but quite different in many areas; differerent enough that it estranged a certain part of STW fans while it gathered its own fanbase.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread