Thread: Germanic Heavy Infantry- Couple of Bugs

Default Germanic Heavy Infantry- Couple of Bugs

You know the ones where it says in the description "weapon not upgradable"?

Yet if you retrain/train them through a city with a blacksmith, they get GOLD weapons, i.e. 3 upgrades. They go from a very decent 14 base attack (sword) to a nasty 17 attack. They even get a picture of a gold sword on the card, which I haven't seen since basic RTW.

And even more extreme (I wasnt trying to cheat here, it was a happy accident)...you can't get them until at least 190 BC, BUT you can hire them as mercs. Then if you retrain them through a blacksmith/Lvl 5 Factional MIC, with a deiwoz pillar, they instantly get 3 chevrons too...making them a base 20 Attack!

For the 2nd part, I'm surmising that even though you can't actually recruit them until the 190 BC reforms, once you have the LVL 5 MIC in place, they become a hidden unit, and you can retrain them as I did above...

-------------

Anyways, surely the GOLD weapon is unintentional...I always wondered what the "weapon not upgradable" tag was for...having now found that it doesn't mean that.

Any answers Bovi or anyone?

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: Germanic Heavy Infantry- Couple of Bugs

I think the gold chevrons and the status as a "hidden" unit are linked together, if not that is clearly a bug. Could you try to upgrade such an unit after the reform takes place?

Could you also give me the internal name (the sweboz-name) for this unit to check the edu?

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    I think the gold chevrons and the status as a "hidden" unit are linked together, if not that is clearly a bug. Could you try to upgrade such an unit after the reform takes place?

Could you also give me the internal name (the sweboz-name) for this unit to check the edu?

XSamatan
    Bit of clarification:

I'm playing as Sweboz.

All the Dreugulozez Brunjadoi (Germanic Heavy Infantry) I'm talking about are ones recruited as Mercs. I'm absolutely no where near 190BC, and have never got that far as The Sweboz, so I don't know.

The chevrons (3 bronze) come from buildings:- game field (1), Circle of Deiwoz (2).

The Gold Weapon (+3 Attack) comes from The Blacksmith. The unit card states "weapon not upgradable". A far as I know, this is the only unit in the game with this tag. Note that they get the normal +1 to armor from the Blacksmith, but this strange +3 weapon.

Here's the EDU for the unit: See the siege definition I've highlighted. If I remember rightly, this is used for units that become available after certain reform conditions are met. I'm guessing it's not working properly in this case.

Code:
    ;135
    type             germanic infantry gastiz
    dictionary       germanic_infantry_gastiz      ; Thegnoz Drugule
    category         infantry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       General_1
    soldier          germanic_infantry_ferulharjoz_gastiz, 30, 0, 1.18
    officer          ebofficer_germanic_standardbearer
    mount_effect     elephant -4
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, very_hardy, mercenary_unit
    formation        0.85, 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_pri         14, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, siege, slashing, sword, 0 ,0.225
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         19, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 ,0.13
    stat_sec_attr    light_spear
    stat_pri_armour  9, 14, 2, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        4
    stat_ground      0, 0, 0, -1
    stat_mental      16, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 2829, 707, 80, 130, 2829
    ownership        germans, romans_julii, romans_brutii, numidia, macedon, thrace, greek_cities, egypt, carthage, romans_scipii, parthia, armenia, pontus, gauls, britons, scythia, dacia, spain, slave, seleucid, saba

Now this is getting weird. Just fired up the game to take a screenshot, recruited 2 more of the same Merc units, retrained them and this time I DIDN'T get the GOLD swords (still got the 3 chevrons I shouldn't have yet though).

The unit shown is one I previously upgraded PRE LVL 5 MIC. Note the 2 others without the Gold Weapon. So this bug is unusual to say the least
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	285  

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    It is linked together, the upgrade does not work anymore after the reforms, when the unit is recruitable.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

As this does not bug your game too hard I would just continue with it.
    Maybe someone with knowledge of the behavior of the units in RTW could fix that and post it as a minimod.

It would be interesting if other units with this weapon tag are affected in the same way,and if it is a engine-related issue.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

As this "bug" gives you a unit that is much better than it is supposed to be, I don't think there will be much interest for "fixing" it.

This is the only unit that I'm aware of that is affected by this. It is also the only unit that is available as merc before it becomes available through reform. The upgrade is probably related to the fact that the reforms for Sweboz, Seleucids and Karthadastim work with the "siege" attribute in stat_pri (in the EDU) for the units. The reform marker buildings give "siege +1" which somehow makes the units with the "siege" attribute recruitable. Perhaps having the unit without the marker makes the upgrade possible.

Quote Originally Posted by burn_again View Post
    As this "bug" gives you a unit that is much better than it is supposed to be, I don't think there will be much interest for "fixing" it.

This is the only unit that I'm aware of that is affected by this. It is also the only unit that is available as merc before it becomes available through reform. The upgrade is probably related to the fact that the reforms for Sweboz, Seleucids and Karthadastim work with the "siege" attribute in stat_pri (in the EDU) for the units. The reform marker buildings give "siege +1" which somehow makes the units with the "siege" attribute recruitable. Perhaps having the unit without the marker makes the upgrade possible.
    Probably true, but it's an interesting bug.

If you recruit said unit, and upgrade via a Blacksmith at a non LVL 5 HOME MIC, then you get the Gold swords. If you do the same AT a LVL 5 MIC, then you don't.

Regardless of this, if retrained at a LVL 5 MIC, you get the extra chevrons.

Matter closed as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------------
    On a side note, how the heck anyone plays The Sweboz to 190BC is beyond me. Even without superblitzing (I took 6 cities then basically hit return 40 times before more expansion), it's now 220BC, I have completed the full building tree in just about every city, and am content with my lands for the present (roughly 20 cities, including Britain). That's another 120 end turns till 190 BC...........

Actually, how it works is that the core building (governor's palace) has a -1 bonus to siege weapons. A unit with a negative weapon bonus becomes impossible to recruit, and enables to us an easy way to create reforms. It's basically one such reform per faction we can do this with (as all "siege" units are "upgraded" at the same time). The Romani reforms for instance use other, more "expensive" technical means as they have more than one reform.

I see now that there is an unfortunate side effect to this, we didn't think of mercenaries being able to "upgrade" to a -1 weapon. Apparently the game engine thinks that means +3 for retraining purposes. We could fix it by duplicating the unit and having the mercenary kind use "heavy" weapon rather than siege, and we probably would if EB1 wasn't considered finished. Also, it's really easy to not exploit the bug, so I don't think we'll spend any effort on it.

Still, thanks for reporting! I never knew about this bug before.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

No worries Bovi, Thanks for the technical explaination :)

I built level 5 MIC but I can't recruit Germanic Heavy Infantry. What is the solution?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Need the scripted reform to happen:

Quote Originally Posted by Europa Barbarorum FAQ
    At least 190BC,
    -A (forum)(L3 Market) built in these provinces: Kimbriolandam, Swebolandam, Rugolandam, Herusklandam, Habukolandam, Mrog Actagone (previously Hattolandam)
    - (army_barracks_U1)(L4 Regional MIC) in one of these provinces: Luvarottea, Sarmiszegethusa, Burdava, Eburonum, Vindobona, Iuvavoaeta, Veldideno, Aventicos, Vindelicoppidos, Vienna

Thanks. How many new units will be avaliable after the reform?

Them and the heavy cavalrymen you underlined in your pic.

I see now that there is an unfortunate side effect to this, we didn't think of mercenaries being able to "upgrade" to a -1 weapon. Apparently the game engine thinks that means +3 for retraining purposes. We could fix it by duplicating the unit and having the mercenary kind use "heavy" weapon rather than siege, and we probably would if EB1 wasn't considered finished. Also, it's really easy to not exploit the bug, so I don't think we'll spend any effort on it.
    very interesting, always funny to hear of wierd Ideas computers(or rather engines) have.

On a side note, how the heck anyone plays The Sweboz to 190BC is beyond me. Even without superblitzing (I took 6 cities then basically hit return 40 times before more expansion), it's now 220BC, I have completed the full building tree in just about every city, and am content with my lands for the present (roughly 20 cities, including Britain). That's another 120 end turns till 190 BC...........
    Yeah beyond me aswell, Personally I think there should be the option to attain the reform by simply captureing a lot(more than currently) of Iron deposits and uprading their Infrastructure. Would be a sound idea for a sub mod, hmmm.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth