Thread: Different campaigns by year

Default Different campaigns by year

So I've started experimenting with trying the different starting years for the campaign game and I've noticed that the earlier years show the various clans with fewer holdings (although with stronger units initially).

My first impression is that the circumstances of the earlier years (1550) make it easier for the player. The reason being that the other clans are not so much in a position to conquer you (their provinces are less numerous and less likely to be adjacent to you) and your main threat/target is the Rebel provinces. And even when they are equipped with some decent generals, it seems that the AI gives their forces a more timid character. Thus, even when presented with a decent chance for a defense, the Rebel troops are more inclined to retreat into the neighboring province.

Is the general consensus that the earlier starting campaigns are easier for the player?

Default Re: Different campaigns by year

I believe the earlier campaigns use a different rebel and ronin AI. The are more aggressive and willing to band together and attack you.

With some clans it is easier, with others harder. The oda can have a tough time reclaiming their starting territory. But yes, sometimes you expand a bunch and the other clans haven't gained any ground.

I think you have a point Brian_ in that when the AI clans start too small with lots of rebels the player can give them hell either by turtling to tiping point and then exploding or by blitzing from the start - either way it can work, although the turtle and explode is less risky.

I prefer the classic "Sengoku" campaign for this reason, i find it much better for the gameplay that the AI clans have substantial territories and rebels are few, but that's just me.

For what is worth, the "dates" campaigns are more historically accurate in terms of what each clan occupies.

The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Yes, I'm playing the Mori clan right now, which in this time period, only begins with one province. But the neighboring rebel provinces have pretty much laid down and let me run roughshod over them. It's pretty much been a cake walk.

By contrast, I got my hat handed to me in the later time period when I tried a higher difficulty setting.

But it might be interesting to try the older time period witrh a higher difficulty setting....

I was playing an STW/MI Mori Expert 1550 campaign only a few days ago and I concur that it is far to easy. The rebels are a push over unless you're playing as the Oda where the rebels tend to consist of hordes of Monks.

I had managed to expand into the northern half of Kyushu and northwards through Honshu as far as Bizen/Mimasaka/Inaba and was winning against Oda when I finally got bored and gave up.

The standard Sengoku campaign is better IMHO. The dated campaigns would have been better if the game had had more factions to occupy some of the vast swathes of rebel lands.

I will probably try an Expert level Sengoku campaign next in STW 1.12 (as that was more challenging than MI/WE 1.02 IMHO).
    Last edited by caravel; 12-03-2009 at 09:44.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

The Monk armies are ridiculously hard when playing as Oda on the harder difficulty settings and I think it makes for an enjoyable challenge. Especially as the rebels can quite often keep you busy whilst another clan, usually the Hojo or Uesugi is becoming a threat to you too.

If you want an early game challenge, play 1530 on expert as Uesugi.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    If you want an early game challenge, play 1530 on expert as Uesugi.
    Are you perchance referring to this?

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=123440

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    Are you perchance referring to this?

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=123440

If you want to see how it should be done...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=111950
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

We can hardly forget that one in a hurry - truly epic.

Though I still feel the Oda one I did was much better.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I've played all the factions in every time period and I would have to say that I've come to prefer the 1580 time period, especially for its difficulty.

For an idea of just how aggressive the AI can be, look here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=112231

Hardly a single season went by where I wasn't faced with at least one invasion and sometimes several

The main thing about the 1580 date is that, due to the extensive infrastructure granted to your opponents, it's difficult to turtle (although I suppose you could if you were really determined) and you must play aggressive and move decisively. While I've certainly had my share of memorable campaigns playing all the other starting dates, it just seems like in 1580, your entire fate can rest on the outcome of a single battle far more often, and that knife-edge is probably what attracts me to it more.
    High Plains Drifter

I'll have to try that some time. I was considering trying an "all archer" campaign as uesugi, the takeda could be super tough in 1580.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I was considering trying an "all archer" campaign as uesugi
    Surely you jest
    High Plains Drifter