Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors tournament II [Concluded]

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors tournament II

Which word was it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Which word was it?
    Well we can hardly type it, hence why it was deleted in the first place.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Which word was it?
    In ancient times it was what you called a donkey. Somehow down the line it became the vulgar name for someone's lower back... ya know - where the sun don't shine.

And Sasaki ... you had me figured out.
    Status Emeritus

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah that doesn't turn into wub...

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

yeah i wouldnt use @$$ if i was talking to a teacher or some other authority figure, or in polite conversation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    yeah i wouldnt use @$$ if i was talking to a teacher or some other authority figure, or in polite conversation.
    There are many words you wouldn't use in those situations, many aren't foul language either. Besides I didn't believe this forum was a classroom and if you glance into the backroom, polite conversation is hardly an enforcement either.

@ Sasaki, if I win vs sigurd, I'll do the same as you!
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-07-2010 at 03:00.

Nice way to end a nasty losing streak, beating the number one ranked player two rounds in a row.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

There are many words you wouldn't use in those situations, many aren't foul language either. Besides I didn't believe this forum was a classroom and if you glance into the backroom, polite conversation is hardly an enforcement either.

@ Sasaki, if I win vs sigurd, I'll do the same as you!
    i dont want to start a conversation about this. im as foul mouthed as most young men my age but i am able to respect the rules here. not saying stildawn doesnt of course, hes just from a different forum environment until relatively recently.

im just saying the word in question isnt usually a word you use nonchalantly in public and i named a few situations i wouldnt use it in. the word in question at least among most western society at least is considered a "bad word" or "curse word" Unless of course you are using it in the term for which it was meant, as in a donkey. but to do that in modern society would appear rather foolish as that term is no longer the accepted vernacular because of its relatively negative connotations.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thermal Mercury View Post
    Besides I didn't believe this forum was a classroom and if you glance into the backroom, polite conversation is hardly an enforcement either.
    Read the recent sticky. Its been around for 6 months or so. No swearing in the gameroom. Not even 'behind' or the place where the devil lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Ok Ok I get the message, I just don't see how one mild 3 letter word can really create any harm in any way.....

The Legislator of Lol Member Stildawn's Avatar

Gee I caused an uproar lol... Yeah Im still getting use to the forum.... I will refrain from anything I wouldnt say in front of my mum (devout baptist lol)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Gee I caused an uproar lol... Yeah Im still getting use to the forum.... I will refrain from anything I wouldnt say in front of my mum (devout baptist lol)
    I would say what you said front of my mum & a lot worse

Beefys bet (from ages ago) is shaping up quite well now,

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    You can do it Ichi! Ichi means number 1

My guess of the tournament.
    1st place: Csargo
    2nd place: Sigurd
    3rd place: TM

See how that goes
    Now I just need Csargo to win like crazy, Sigurd going on steady, and TM winning slightly more

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'm the comeback kid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

The round robin doesn't mean It is a game of chance and tactic no matter how much you argue psychology or probability.

It is the finals that count. The player on last place in the round robin (is there a logical explanation for this term?) could go ahead and win the tournament.

You could lose by design to create false data for the probability crowd or act crazy to throw off the psychology crowd.

Do you think Yaseikhaan will continue with his Rock/Rock in the finals? Think again.
    Those of you who have been around this place a while - knows how to play mafia and psychology games.
    This can be transferred to a game of paper/scissors/rock ya know
    Status Emeritus

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Do you think Yaseikhaan will continue with his Rock/Rock in the finals? Think again.
    Those of you who have been around this place a while - knows how to play mafia and psychology games.
    This can be transferred to a game of paper/scissors/rock ya know
    Oh hush, you. I'll totally keep my rock/rock pattern. Why, it is an insult to the glorious mineral itself that I would even think otherwise!
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

Excellent... slowly I am racking up the points!
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

Eating Babies since 1983 Member Sprig's Avatar

Oi! that is my rock beats everything strat. Hands off!
    Bad.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Waiting on Centurion.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Blog Entries

Just WoG him and split his points equally with everyone.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Waiting on me now. It's been a long and not particularly pleasant day, and I figured I'd rather do the last round justice and give it a good writeup tomorrow instead of just post the skeleton results tonight. Results will be up tomorrow morning-ish.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I'm the comeback kid!
    You say that you "are". But are you?
    BLARGH!

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Go Ichigo!

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Blog Entries

Day 11 results

"Now, this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
    ~Winston Churchill, 1942

Well, this is it. After ten hard-fought days of brutal Rock/Paper/Scissors action, the end of the round robin phase is upon us. Unlike Week 17 of the NFL on any given year, much is still be decided with the final day of action here.

First of all, positioning. Centurion1, Sigurd, and Stildawn have all clinched first-round byes. However, the ever-so-precious final spot is still up for grabs. A full five contestants are battling for that last spot, making tournament organizers a bit antsy that a massive play-in round will have to happen in order to work out the tiebreakers.

However, is it wise to even get that fourth and final first-round bye? After all, the consolation prize is the #5 seed, which matches up against the lowest #12 seed in the playoffs. There has been a fierce debate by sportswriters and fans over this very issue the past few days, with the consensus appearing to side with the "a guaranteed win is best, no matter your opponent."

Secondly, between the three front-runners, there is a battle for the #1 seed, along with pride. After all, in the opening round of the playoffs last tournament, every single higher seed was upset, save for one: #1 pevergreen. There is no denying that, even though this is only the second incarnation of the tournament, the #1 seed already packs some mystique and aura.

Finally, among the lower-level players, there is a race for pride and to stay out of the cellar. Everyone wants to be hot going into the knockout round, and sometimes momentum is far more important than seeding.

As the referee walks into the stadium, the over-capacity crowd quiets instantly. Their thirst for answers is about to be quenched. The referee acknowledges the contestants and raises his arm in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first match of the day is Mr. Inconsistent Double A vs. former #1 Centurion1. Double A, for the most part, has had a decent tournament, but his inconsistency issues have prevented him from taking the next step, and he now finds himself on the outside of getting that final first-round bye. Centurion has been having problems of his own. Over the last few days he has lost three of four matches, falling out of first. Looking to rebound heading into the playoffs, he throws Rock, which defeats Double A's Scissors. Centurion pumps his fist in celebration. For the time being, he has retaken first place.
    Centurion1 defeats Double A

Second up is Death is Yonder vs. Yaseikhaan. DiY's horrible first half of the tournament has once again overshadowed his decent second half, having only lost once since Day 6 but still finding himself in the bottom tier of players. khaan, meanwhile, has just been consistently bad, his "only throw Rock" strategy having long lost its luster. DiY decides to test khaan's resolve by matching his initial throw of Rock. Confident that khaan is still going to stick to his strategy, DiY adjusts by throwing Paper, which does indeed cover khaan's Rock. DiY finishes with a very respectable 5 points and could very easily make noise in the knockout round. khaan, meanwhile, is looking forward to a #12 seed if Jolt wins and a "playoff" for the #11 if Jolt ties.
    Death is Yonder defeats Yaseikhaan

Up third is Thermal Mercury vs. first-place Sigurd. Thermal is on the inside track for the final first-round bye, his hot streak in the middle of the tournament having served him well. However, he could not have picked a worse opponent to try and seal the deal: Sigurd has been a rock for most of the tournament and looking to pace himself by matching Centurion's win. He decides to go out by throwing Paper, but visibly swears when he sees Thermal's Scissors. Thermal's celebration is loud, but overshadowed by Centurion's; he has clinched the #1 seed by way of Sigurd's loss and his victory over Stildawn earlier in the tournament.
    Thermal Mercury defeats Sigurd

Sprig faces defending champion CountArach in the next match. CA has possibly had the most disappointing tournament out of anyone so far, but he more than anybody else realizes the overall meaninglessness of the round robin phase. All that matters is getting hot at the right time, and he figures that Sprig will be a good launching pad. Sprig, for his part, cannot clinch a first-round bye anymore because of Thermal's victory, but would still like that #5 seed. The two men first throw Paper, and groan. Nobody wants a draw. On the rethrow, however, CA gets his wish by throwing Scissors, which trumps Sprig's Paper. The champ goes into the knockout round on a high note.
    CountArach defeats Sprig

In the penultimate match of the round robin phase, Sasaki Kojiro battles Jolt. These two contestants are traveling down opposite paths: Sasaki has righted his ship by taking down Centurion and Sigurd on consecutive days, in one of the most impressive feats of the tournament. Jolt, on the other hand, finds himself in last place at the start of the day and needs to pull off the upset if he doesn't want the ignominy that comes with the title. It is not to be, however. Sasaki caps off an impressive homestretch by defeating Jolt's Paper with Scissors, and goes into the knockout round as probably the hottest player. Jolt is not so lucky. He has clinched the #12 seed and faces a very difficult uphill climb if he wants to go anywhere in the knockout round.
    Sasaki Kojiro defeats Jolt

The last match of the tournament is between Stildawn and Csargo. Stildawn's long-shot bid for first place was denied earlier today by Centurion's victory, but he can still finish strong and is playing for pride. Csargo, however, is playing for a bit more than pride: He can clinch the important #5 seed with a victory today and secure a first-round matchup against Jolt, who he defeated already only yesterday. At first, the two contestants match each other with throws of Rock, but in the end, seeding trumps pride as a motivation. Csargo's throw of Scissors cuts Jolt's Paper, and the winner walks out of the stadium as the Ichigo Fan Club cheers loudly for its champion. Stildawn, though, is not overly disappointed by the loss, because he still has a day off tomorrow.
    Csargo defeats Stildawn

Standings after Day 11:
    1. Centurion1: 7.5
    2. Sigurd: 7
    3. Stildawn: 6.5
    4. Thermal Mercury: 6.5
    5. Csargo: 6
    6. Sasaki Kojiro: 6
    ?. Sprig: 5
    ?. Death is Yonder: 5
    ?. CountArach: 5
    10. Double A: 5
    11. Yaseikhaan: 3.5
    12. Jolt: 3
    Tiebreaker explanation:
    Sprig, DiY, CA, and Double A all finished with 5 points. After going back through my records, I found that Double A had lost to all three opponents, thus, he gets stuck with the #10 seed. This leaves Sprig, CA, and DiY to fight for the 7, 8, and 9 seeds, since they all beat one opponent and lost to one. The #7 seed will face Double A in the first round of the playoffs while the #8 and #9 seeds will face each other.

What I need Death is Yonder, Sprig, and CountArach to do is send me their choices for both opponents. Since this is a tiebreaker round and will directly determine seeding, there will be no draws. Thus, send me as many backup choices as you think is necessary.

-edit- If this still doesn't work (e.g. CA beats DiY, DiY beats Sprig, and Sprig beats CA), then I will determine seeding by coin flip.
    UPDATE: Sprig has decided that he's fine with the #9 seed, therefore, the tiebreaker will be a simple match between CountArach and Death is Yonder. Please send me your choices with as many backups as you deem necessary ASAP. Thanks.

Once we get this situation resolved, we can proceed directly to the knockout round.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 01-11-2010 at 03:09.

Ahhh welll..... Still in the top three lol.

Blog Entries

Ahhh welll..... Still in the top three lol.
    Joint three, I might add

hahaha yeah yeah lol.

Blog Entries

hahaha yeah yeah lol.
    Does this mean were like safe for the time being?

I dont really know how it works lol.

Blog Entries

Instead of flipping a coin, you could play rock paper scissors with someone.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast