Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors tournament II [Concluded]

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors tournament II

Nope, Stildawn is the clear-cut #3 because he beat Thermal previously. Likewise with Csargo getting the #5 over Sasaki. I'll explain the playoff system once I get the tiebreaker results, but in a nutshell, the top four seeds can take a round off.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Eating Babies since 1983 Member Sprig's Avatar

I will forfit any seeding, if that makes things easier for you GH.
    Bad.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
    I will forfit any seeding, if that makes things easier for you GH.
    Alright, if you're happy with the #9 seed, then archrivals CA and DiY will duel to the death.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

sweet :)
    Bad.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Bring it ON!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Blog Entries

Tiebreaker results:

DiY throws Rock.
    CA throws Scissors.

Final standings:
    1. Centurion1: 7.5
    2. Sigurd: 7
    3. Stildawn: 6.5
    4. Thermal Mercury: 6.5
    5. Csargo: 6
    6. Sasaki Kojiro: 6
    7. Death is Yonder: 5
    8. CountArach: 5
    9. Sprig: 5
    10. Double A: 5
    11. Yaseikhaan: 3.5
    12. Jolt: 3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Knockout Round has begun!!!

As previously mentioned, the top 4 seeds get a first-round bye, meaning they get back to sit and watch the madness for once. Seeds 5-12 will play each other in matchups determined by seeding. 5 plays 12, 6 plays 11, etc. Participants will be re-seeded after each round - i.e. the #12 seed will always play the highest seeded player left in the tournament. There will be no draws, and matches will go as long as they need. Therefore, I ask that players send me as many backup choices as they think is necessary. Win 4 matches (or 3, if you're one of the top seeds) and you are officially the Rock/Paper/Scissors champion of the Gameroom.

Good luck, everybody!

Round 1 matchups:
    5 Csargo vs. 12 Jolt
    6 Sasaki Kojiro vs. 11 Yaseikhaan
    7 Death is Yonder vs. 10 Double A
    8 CountArach vs. 9 Sprig

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Bye bye comeback kid.
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

Ok then, Stildawn has the title of third to himself, I'm still safe for now that's the main thing.

The Legislator of Lol Member Stildawn's Avatar

Ahhhh sitting back and relaxing lol.

I've got some work to do...
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I've got some work to do...
    Not really, it will be a nice and relaxing break for you once my rock beats your sissors.

Edit: I mean my paper beats your Rock!

Edit: Edit: You know RPS III should include betting :)
    Last edited by Sprig; 01-12-2010 at 03:15.
    Bad.

Blog Entries

Waiting on Csargo and Sprig.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 01-13-2010 at 02:43.

Feeling the pressure now, eh Csargo?
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Feeling the pressure now, eh Csargo?
    I doubt it, hes the only one I'm waiting for in my blackjack tournament, I think he needs prodding. Or alternatively...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I read elsewhere that he ihad been feeling sick
    Bad.

Alas, the pressure of facing me has been too great! (Seriously though, I hope he's OK)
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

First Round Results

"You can't win them all - but you can try."
    ~ Babe Didrikson Zaharias

It is the time of year everyone has been waiting for. After eleven long, arduous days of placement, the seeds have finally been determined and the pressure-packed Knockout Round of the second annual Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament is underway. The stadium is almost bursting to capacity in anticipation of the matches that are to happen today.

While none of the top seeds are playing today, as per the right they earned, there are still lots of compelling storylines. Can any longshot player pull off an upset today and start a run? Can dark horse Death is Yonder keep his strong second half going and go deep into the tournament once again? And, perhaps most compellingly, can CountArach overcome the odds and win four straight matches to defend his title?

Out of the four matches to be played today, the higher seed won the previous match in all four instances, including #8 CA against #9 Sprig on the final day of the round robin. This little bit of trivia has served to marginally increase the odds in the higher seeds' favor, but if gamblers have learned anything in this tournament by now, it should be not to trust the odds.

The referee walks into the stadium, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his arm in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

#5 Csargo vs. #12 Jolt
    The former superfan has not had the best adjustment period in the tournament, only registering two victories and two draws in the entire tournament and finishing half a point behind someone who threw nothing but Rock. Csargo, however, realizes that this is the point in the tournament where you must take everyone seriously. Not showing any facial expression at all, Csargo throws Paper, finally cracking a grin when he sees Jolt's Rock. While the crowd salutes the gallant effort by the loser, Csargo is already thinking ahead to his next match against #4 Thermal Mercury, whom he already beat once.
    Csargo advances

#6 Sasaki Kojiro vs. #11 Yaseikhaan
    The biggest question of the first round is "will he or won't he?" This is, of course, in relation to whether or not khaan will keep to his strategy of "throw only Rock", which he has faithfully stuck to throughout the entire tournament. Sasaki is frankly a bit annoyed that he has to think on this so much, as he would prefer focusing his efforts on his specialty: being a giant-killer. As a precautionary measure to see if khaan will stick to the plan, Sasaki throws Rock. However, khaan has fully anticipated this precaution and throws Paper. As the shocked crowd gasps as one, Sasaki swears up a storm and storms off, furious that he had been outwitted. As for khaan, well, you can't wipe the grin off his face as he prepares to face down #1 Centurion1 tomorrow.
    Yaseikhaan advances

#7 Death is Yonder vs. #10 Double A
    DiY, with his strong second half, has pretty much put his hard-luck streak behind him. Advancing a round or two or three in the knockout round will destroy his former reputation for good. However, Double A may not be the best opponent to start a run against. He has been the most inconsistent player in the tournament and did not end the round robin phase on a good note, meaning that he's due for a win. However, it seems that, with this tournament, that even inconsistency itself is inconsistent. Double A throws Rock and loses his third match in a row as DiY throws Paper.
    Death is Yonder advances

#8 CountArach vs. #9 Sprig
    The electricity in the audience ratchets up a notch as the defending champion prepares to face down the unmoved Sprig. CA has a long road ahead of him if he wants to repeat his title, but he's going to take one match at a time and focus his efforts on his current opponent. Sprig, having lost to CA on Day 11, dropped out of the tiebreaker in order to focus more on his playoff opponent, whom he correctly predicted was CA. Zoning into the moment, Sprig locks in, eyes CA, throws Rock... and then watches CA throw Paper. Sprig is devastated. He can't believe that he lost to the same opponent twice in two days. "Chin up, mate," CA says, "There's always next one." His encouragement helps, but at the same time it still rings hollow. After all, there's no coming back from a loss in the knockout round, something which CA has yet to experience.
    CountArach advances

As opposed to the first round of the previous tournament, the chalk has mostly held, with khaan's shocking upset of Sasaki being the only real surprise. The real test for the survivors of the first round comes tomorrow, when they face the higher-seeded and well-rested Top Four.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Round 2!

Matchups:
    #1 Centurion1 vs. #11 Yaseikhaan
    #2 Sigurd vs. #8 CountArach
    #3 Stildawn vs. #7 Death is Yonder
    #4 Thermal Mercury vs. #5 Csargo

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    The round robin doesn't mean It is a game of chance and tactic no matter how much you argue psychology or probability.

It is the finals that count. The player on last place in the round robin (is there a logical explanation for this term?) could go ahead and win the tournament.

You could lose by design to create false data for the probability crowd or act crazy to throw off the psychology crowd.

Do you think Yaseikhaan will continue with his Rock/Rock in the finals? Think again.
    Those of you who have been around this place a while - knows how to play mafia and psychology games.
    This can be transferred to a game of paper/scissors/rock ya know
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Well, I stuck with my random.org to the end even if you bailed on your strategy khaan

Paper beat rock in each match? Crazy.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 01-15-2010 at 07:24.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm so inconsistent that I'm consistent with my inconsistency.

Or maybe I'm just too lazy to do anything other than throw rock for the bazillionth time.

I knew I should have put Scissors.
    BLARGH!

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

Yay!

Well, back to full status once again for 2 days.

A belated to CA after our previous duel.

Quarter Finals now...

Good luck Stildawn
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

well ive sent in my moves lol haha I did ten moves I hope thats enough lol

Would be epic if we drawed all them lol.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't want to be centurion right now, Yaseikhaan could do anything.

Blog Entries

Waiting on Centurion.

Blog Entries

Second Round Results

"Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."
    ~Vince Lombardi

The biggest shockwave that passes through the players and the stadium before the second round of the knockout round starts is the fact that Death is Yonder has withdrawn from the tournament. DiY had been experiencing time issues for a few rounds now, but was always able to fulfill his duties as a contestant. However, after the close of the previous day's matches, DiY informed tournament officials that he would no longer be able to participate. Thus, Stildawn gets another day off and a free pass to the semi-finals.

The other six contestants, though, have all showed up and are ready for action, so there will still be some exciting Rock/Paper/Scissors matches today. The tension in the audience is palpable as the remaining players take their places.

It ratchets up a few more notches as the referee enters the stadium, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his arm in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

#1 Centurion1 vs. #11 Yaseikhaan
    khaan, in the span of one round, has turned himself into an unpredictable player and the single most dangerous opponent in the tournament with the breaking of his all-rock pattern last round against Sasaki. Now armed with quite literally one round's worth of relevant data against his opponent, any chance that Centurion has of winning will come from a shot in the dark. However, it is here that Centurion proves that he has earned his #1 seed. Throwing Rock, Centurion shouts in triumph when he sees that khaan has thrown Scissors. With khaan out of the way, Centurion can move on to facing opponents that he has more data on.
    Centurion1 advances

#2 Sigurd vs. #8 CountArach
    This is certainly a familiar matchup. These two longtime foes have met thrice before, and once in a pressure-packed situation where CA defeated Sigurd in an epic duel to advance to the finals. However, this was last year, where Sigurd was Mr. Inconsistent and CA was in the middle of his run. This year, Sigurd has been rock-solid and the Count has been unable to string much of anything together. Still, he is defending champion and has always been able to rise to the occasion at the right moments. "You've had a good run, Count," Sigurd says, "but now I get my revenge." Roaring with a voice imbued by the Norse gods of old, Sigurd throws Scissors. The stadium goes into bedlam when they see CA's throw: Paper. At last, the champion has been dethroned. He takes it quite well, bowing to his conqueror and saluting the crowd before exiting the stadium. Tomorrow will be the first time CountArach ever watches the playoffs without a stake. Sigurd, meanwhile, has more work to do.
    Sigurd advances

#3 Stildawn vs. #7 Death is Yonder
    DiY's withdrawal means that Stildawn gets another day off.
    Stildawn advances

#4 Thermal Mercury vs. #5 Csargo
    In the last match of the day, Csargo is listed as the slight favorite despite Thermal's higher seeding, mainly having to do with his defeat of Thermal on Day 7 of the round robin. Besides, Csargo is officially the hottest player left in the tournament, having not lost since Day 9. Thermal is unfazed, however. He's picked his spots in this tournament and won when he's had to. That #4 seed he earned was not a fluke. He proves it here now by throwing Rock, which triumph's over Csar's Scissors. Thermal pumps his fist in celebration while Csargo goes off to console The Ichigo Fan Club, who are all crying in each other's arms after their hero's defeat.
    Thermal Mercury advances

Interestingly enough, the chalk has prevailed in each match of Round 2, setting up for a power-packed finale. Will Stildawn, having made his way into the semis with literally no opposition, prove that he deserves his spot? Will Thermal continue his unlikely run and defeat Centurion for an unthinkable second time in the tournament? Or will Centurion1 and Sigurd be allowed to continue their collision course for a rematch of their Day 1 draw? All will be answered tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now the semi-finals!

Matchups:
    #1 Centurion1 vs. #4 Thermal Mercury
    #2 Sigurd vs. #3 Stildawn

Awww that sucks lol

DIY.... what were your moves I wanna see if I would have bet you anyway?

Congrats Sigurd! You have to go on to win now so that at least I can say that the new Champion defeated me

I am preparing to remove my Custom Title.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just switch scissors and rock. Then he can be the "scissors paper rock" champion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Awww that sucks lol

DIY.... what were your moves I wanna see if I would have bet you anyway?
    Someone got a nice ride to the semi's

I don't fancy my luck at this point in the tournament.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast