Poll: When are you going to buy NTW?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When are you going to buy NTW?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default When are you going to buy NTW?

Just a for fun poll since ETW was screwed first day.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: When are you going to buy NTW?

never. i have enough games to last me about a year and a half right now. dont need a crappy expansion to a game i rarely play. its still a good game, i just dont play much.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Ill probably get it after its out when I get board of what ever Empire campaign I happen to be playing at the time.

NEVER. ETW RUINED MY LIFE. I lost my kids, wife, husband, everything in that stupid $50 game. It violated me in ways that I've never thought possible! I was promised the most epic game that would bring world peace and it never delivered!

Seriously though,

I noticed that when it comes to these polls they are always skewed negatively one way or the other.

I mean, where's the option that says, "When it comes out?" unless preorder falls into that category. Granted, even if the release date is on the 18th for example some retailers may not get it until days/weeks later....

Though for me I usually wait until the reviews pop up (I read multiple official reviews to get an idea) as well as reading some users (those that are actually fair and not trolls or nitpickers) before buying a game.
    Last edited by nameless; 12-15-2009 at 00:46.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Oh, I knew I forgot something. I wanted a 'in the first week' option. :-(

Mods?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

After several nitpicky grouches play it and grudgingly say its what ETW should've been.

And mod tools.
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 12-15-2009 at 01:51.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

I'm pre-ordering it as soon as I get the chance. The TW series hasn't let me down yet *ducks tomatoes*

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On release, if CA do something like I suggested to them.

Otherwise, maybe if its on special for $5.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

If it came free in a cereal box.

ETW is more than enough IMO.

I'm still waitin on mod tools for etw.

Only when the modding tools for ETW/NTW are released.

No Mod Tools = No More TW, seriously the only reason I have been playing TW since STW has been the mods.
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

I voted 'never ever' but that is more to do with personal reasons than any expectations I hold for the game. I only play games a few hours a week at most these days and, as I've just got Dragon Age: Origins, my play time is pretty much full for a long time to come. If my real-life plans work out my playtime will be dropping to 0 hours a week so I really don't have time for N:TW.

Having said that, from a hypothetical perspective, I'm not sure I'd get it at all, or perhaps wait until it came on budget, unless it got very favourable reviews from the good patrons of this forum. I just didn't get as much enjoyment from E:TW as I was hoping, even discounting all the bugs. I find the only challenge comes from managing your economy at the start of the game, not from planning grand stategy or fighting battles. I also wasn't a big fan of the RTI campaign mode and, from the little I've seen so far, N:TW basically just seems to be 3 large RTI equivilents. Those factors combined just seem to turn me off N:TW too much to be interested unless, as I mentioned earlier, it gets fantastic reviews from the people I consider to be some of the wisest and most experienced TW players.

When I have 3 friends, who have similar taste in Total War, tell me its good.
    Don't trust most review sites anymore. At least my friends don't need advertisement money to survive.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mod tools, or no dice for me. Modders are what've made TW games for me, and if they're going to stiff them, I'm not biting.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I'm currently undecided, which means that unless I hear it's great from people I trust, my wallet is staying in my pocket. And as others have said, the lack of mod tools for Empire throws a bucket of cold water on my enthusiasm.

Not buying.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, I'll try, when people says it is good,
    when I bought ETW, I thought it was more better than any other TW games, but it was'nt.
    I hope NTW is gonna be better
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

I considered pre-ordering it (shame on me). But since they decided to pull that per-order special unit xtra crap on us again and the state the one year late mp campaign is in, I won't.

I voted "Never" because I'm just not that interested in this era of regimented, "all units look and act alike" warfare.

I bought and play ETW, as flawed as it is, because I wanted to see the evolution of the campaign map and the naval combat engine, not because I was interested in the period. I'm not a big fan of scripted campaigns either; I like the open-ended grand campaigns from RTW, M2TW, and ETW, and it sounds like Napoleon is more constrained. So that's another reason I won't be getting it... but mainly it's just a disinterest in this style of combat. I'll hop back on the TW franchise if the next main release is based in an earlier, more gunpowder-free era like Rome, Ancient Greece, Shogun, China Three Kingdoms, etc.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Bargain bin.
    But only because I don't have the willpower for Never Ever. Curiosity and optimism will eventually get the better of me.
    Last edited by Elmar Bijlsma; 12-18-2009 at 01:17.

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

I voted after a few patches I just got the email today to pre-order. I am sorry but I wanted this era more then ETW and fell for the whole ETW pre-order etc etc. I will wait to see what comes out. A complete game that works and not a visual but buggy in gameplay game.
    Till I am satisfied after release I will then spend my money.

I'll wait to see what the reception on the ORG is. I'm through with CA/TW games until they finally release one with a really strong, smart, logical AI.
    Fac et Spera

I already pre-ordered it like a week or 2 ago.

Mod tools , and only if they allow us to fully mod things like :

the mess that is the tech tree {don't get me started !}

campaign starting troop disspossitions {including numbers in each unit}

a way to make seige assaults require preparation

limit the number of grenades carried by grenadiers

have separate stats for cavalry units that can dismount {one for mounted , one for dismounted}

have separate weapon stats for units that carry more than one type of melee weapon {essential for
    any pre-gunpowder mods}

a way to tie number of units available to the population of the province raised in {and different for each type}

campaign victory requirements including "protectorate faction will join you if" missions and making the A.I. have to do them {instead of the cheese of giving it to them in 10 turns} and creating new ones {especially useful for presiege campaigns} such as building a famous cathedral by year X and different points for capturing/owning certain provinces etc

I also want a way to have the various secondary structure in a province {towns other than the capital} spawn automatic defensive troops {like a province capital does} , be able to alter their building type and wealth/productivity level {if we can't already} .

We need tools to create new campaign maps and alter the present one !

The list goes on .

We were promised a game more modable than the previous in the series , but we have been given one that is less .
    Until they come through on their promis , I won't be showing them my money .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

I am done with the Total War franchise until further notice.

If the NTW somehows fixes all the things that have been broken in the last several games I may reconsider. But all the goodwill and trust that was built up has been depleted.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I will consider buying it as I enjoy the era it represents, but only after it gets good post-patch reviews from the gaming population and CA delivers on what it promises to bring to the game (starting with mod tools).

After I see what the BAI changes are, frankly that's all I will be buying it for. If it doesn't translate to the ETW style campaign, I won't purchase it at all. I couldn't care less about Napoleon or some kind of story driven campaign.
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

I said after the first few patches, but on second thought, I'm waiting for mod tools. If those come out, everything will be hunky-dory in my book.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

I can't vote :(

I would wait until I have read enough reviews and if they are negative ones then I will wait until the next patch and hope that resolves most of the major issues.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Well, I guess I may preorder it. Someone has to write a review so everyone else knows how it is...

That is if I can manage.

Otherwise, I would be seeing what the rest of you think of it.

The Amazon reviews for ETW look like someone did a hit. I don’t think they can be trusted.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast