Thread: How to anticipate Mongol/Timurid invasion

Default How to anticipate Mongol/Timurid invasion

How can I anticipate the Mongol/Timurid invasion???
    Proud American and Italian, Scotland forever!!!!!
    First language: italian; Secon language: egnlish; Foregin language: german; Other language: italian dialect
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=316278
    My AAR... Gunpowder and Steel

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: How to anticipate Mongol/Timurid invasion

i think they come on a certain year. not sure what year that is though. i know someone does.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Blog Entries

I can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure they arrive around 60-80 turns in (the mongols that is), if your playing as the turks or russians, you may want to start preparing at turn 50 or so. The Timurids, though I may be a little out, arrive around turn 130 I believe. Preparing for them around turn 110-120 would be ideal.

Good ways to prepare would to be to have ample good missile units as well as spearmen, they are tricky opponents to say the least. Always let them siege you rather than sally out, I find, if they do attack you when your in your castle or city you can massacre many of them whilst waiting for the ram to get through, even if it does the cavalry aren't suitable to go into congested cities & castles. If you are out in the open however it is all to easy to be picked off. They have great commanders with high dread & large numbers, the command will make there troops superior in morale, the dread will make your own mens morale shrink, and the large numbers, well that's an obvious problem, so don't always think about your opponents units, but also your opponents traits.
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-02-2010 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermal Mercury View Post
    I can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure they arrive around 60-80 turns in (the mongols that is), if your playing as the turks or russians, you may want to start preparing at turn 50 or so. The Timurids, though I may be a little out, arrive around turn 130 I believe. Preparing for them around turn 110-120 would be ideal.

Good ways to prepare would to be to have ample good missile units as well as spearmen, they are tricky opponents to say the least. Always let them siege you rather than sally out, I find, if they do attack you when your in your castle or city you can massacre many of them whilst waiting for the ram to get through, even if it does the cavalry aren't suitable to go into congested cities & castles. If you are out in the open however it is all to easy to be picked off. They have great commanders with high dread & large numbers, the command will make there troops superior in morale, the dread will make your own mens morale shrink, and the large numbers, well that's an obvious problem, so don't always think about your opponents units, but also your opponents traits.
    Excuse me, but I want to know how to make the mongols appear before! Excuse me, I made a mistake in the question...
    First language: italian; Secon language: egnlish; Foregin language: german; Other language: italian dialect

its as simple as a text change. why do you want them earlier?

i'd check scripts.txt for anything referencing the mongols, then the timurids.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    its as simple as a text change. why do you want them earlier?

i'd check scripts.txt for anything referencing the mongols, then the timurids.
    I want them earlier because I'm tring to learn how to mod and then try to create something, like a campaign that starts in the 13th/14th century.

ah. well im fairly sure they are scripted to come at a certain year, and those coincide with turns. i could be wrong.

again, id check scripts.txt.

Changing the time of the mongol invasion:
    Folder: \Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

File: descr_events.txt

Code:
    ; ------------ CORE GAME EVENT --------------
    event	historic	mongols_invasion_warn
    date	128 144
    The numbers are YEARS in the game, so 128 = 64 TURNS, by default the mongol invasion warning will occure between 64 and 72 turns into the game. The script is set to trigger off the warning event, so you dont need to mess with that at all.

The Timurid invasion is changed in the same file, slightly further down

Code:
    ; ------------ CORE GAME EVENT --------------
    event	historic	timurids_invasion_warn
    date	288 304
    Same format, so the warning occures between 144 and 152 turns into the game. Again, the script is triggered by this event, so you dont need to mess with the scripts at all.

I am not sure if you need to unpack M2 or not to access this file, and remember ALWAYS backup any file you modify and put
    [io]
    file_first = true
    into your config file.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!