Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The United Kingdom Elections 2010

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default The United Kingdom Elections 2010

There will be a general election in the United Kingdom this year - perhaps as early as March, but by law it must be held before June 3rd.

It's a remarkably interesting contest this time (for those scholars of politics) because of the electoral map, the thorough disillusion with Parliament, the devastated economy and consequent unpopular decisions, the visceral personal loathing for Gordon Brown yet the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the Conservative alternatives. add in a lot of expressed support for minor extremist parties, a deeply unpopular war and the increasing likelihood of a hung parliament (both in terms of seats held and the fervent wish of most of the voters) and we have the ingredients of a fascinating time.

All these strands mean we may well end up with myriad threads starting. To keep some sort of order, please add all political commentary pertinent to the elections herein.

Now, over to CountArach (Poll King) and Lemur (Blog Tzar).

(My own question is: Given that everyone I talk to has despaired of Labour and has no enthusiasm for the Tories at all, why is no-one even considering a vote for the Liberal Democrats? I know the electoral mathematics mean it's almost impossible for them to gain even on a huge swing, but it does seem odd no-one wants to give them a go).

(Oh, and what chance a regicide of Brown in the next couple of weeks?)
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Default Re: The United Kingdom Elections 2010

Liberal Democrats! Talk about making it up as you go along.

I've voted tory twice and SDP once. This time none of the main parties will get my vote, the thieving bastards. I've not made up my mind yet, although the UK Libertarians look interesting. Needless to say I wont be voting for the corrupt Labour party who can't even get their own financial house in order, never mind the countries. Imbeciles.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

*Quickly catches up on months of polling data*
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, it's a case of the best of the worst.

Labour: discredited (did they ever have any credit?)
    Conservatives: too keen to get into power to have any thoughts what to do when there, probably too "fair weather"
    Lib Dems: Leftie, pro Europe. Too concerned with giving power elsewhere to have policy; too fringe to need policy.
    BNP: statutory IQ being less than 75 obligitory since race admission no longer required.
    UKIP: One policy party. What would they do with any real power? Might be useful as a force if no party has a majority to force the one issue.

Brown will hang on as the next leader wants to lead the party forward, with the baseline set on an utter failure - rising like a phoenix from the ashes, not starting with a prat-fall.

As it happens I'm helping with strategy for one of the Tories, but just to reassure people it's almost certain he'll loose Of course, he states he's independent and thinks for himself, but don't they all say that?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

I don't have a personal dislike of Brown. I think he's way more integral than Cameron, who tries to present himself as middle class, normal, Daily Fail reading guy who sends his kids to the local comprehensive, despite being filthy rich/posh. That said, most of the Labour cabinet are made up of middle class people; iirc there's only one senior working class minister.

Unfortunately I can't vote; I'll miss out on my birthday by just over a month.

I haven't voted since '97 and probably won't vote again. Democracy in this country is an illusion, whoever you vote for you still get the same corrupt self serving scum that look after the interests of the rich elites.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I'm voting for Geoffrey, because he's our local man, he's done weel over the last four years, and he was recomended by a friend. He's also a Conservative, but that's because when John retired the Lib Dems replaced him with Charles Kennedy's Spin-doctor.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I'm despairing. After the past decade, surely it is time to move away from New Labour. But Cameron looks like an impending disaster.

Go Liberal Democrats indeed!

My question: will we see the unthinkable, a Labour/Conservative coalition?
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    Given that everyone I talk to has despaired of Labour and has no enthusiasm for the Tories at all, why is no-one even considering a vote for the Liberal Democrats? I know the electoral mathematics mean it's almost impossible for them to gain even on a huge swing, but it does seem odd no-one wants to give them a go).
    because the lib-dems stand for nothing, they are an act of positioning whereby they straddle the fence between the competing ideologies of the left and the right in the hope of attracting disaffected voters from the two polar opposites. this leads them to be inconsistent and opportunistic, neither likely to attract voters.

if you view the dividing line in british politics as the question of where your social assistance becomes my individual interference then following characteristics arise:

Conservatives - right-wing / libertarian
    Labour - left-wing / authoritarian
    LibDem - left-wing / libertarian

LibDems are trying to straddle the divide, which is difficult to do because people are fairly polarised to one blend of politics or the other, not a mix of the two.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 01-04-2010 at 20:18.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

What kind of campaign will most likely resonate with most UK voters this year, do you think? "Transperancy in Government", "Bring our Lads home", "Good jobs for all", or something else?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    Labour - left-wing / authoritarian
    LibDem - left-wing / libertarian
    Labour are more of a "just right of centre" party these days rather than simply "left wing".

No idea who I will vote for if I do vote at all. It's kind of irrelevant anyway seeming my constituency is the fourth safest Tory seat in the country and as such Boy George is guaranteed to be elected.

Hurrah for voter apathy! Hurrah!

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is the opinion of the average poster -
    "You vote between the lesser of the two evils of Labour and Conservatives, Lib Dems are a waste of a vote."

It's the media-myth.

Also, New Labour being left-wing? They are Right-wing, argubly more so than the Tories, in some areas.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-04-2010 at 15:48.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    What kind of campaign will most likely resonate with most UK voters this year, do you think? "Transperancy in Government", "Bring our Lads home", "Good jobs for all", or something else?
    I'd have to direct you to my siggy. If you vote for anyone, make sure they are NOT an MP. Of any flavour.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

@ AN and Beskar.

Labour are left-wing in the context of british politics because wing'iness is defined by the relative difference between Conservatives and Labour.

Labour may not be as left-wing as you might desire, but they still define what left-wing IS in the context of british politics.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

@ AN and Beskar.

Labour are left-wing in the context of british politics because wing'iness is defined by the relative difference between Conservatives and Labour.

Labour may not be as left-wing as you might desire, but they still define what left-wing IS in the context of british politics.
    No, it was a case that Old Labour was actually left-wing, untill New Labour came and did a top-bottom change. So instead of obviously noting this, some individuals just stick to the historical alignment, but since the party has been re-branded, etc, it is inaccurate.

The left of British- politics is the Liberal Democrats and the Green party.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

but as we already know with our wonderful FPTP system neither of those parties actually count for squat.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

This election will probably have an historically low participation. I am going to watch it closely. Next election is going to be a circus here as well, even more so than with Fortuyn. Not going to vote at all methinks.

Blog Entries

I assume you're reading the secret Tory manifesto where it details their plans for a progressive drugs policy, the scrapping of DRM and their friendliness to non-married parents.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    I'd have to direct you to my siggy. If you vote for anyone, make sure they are NOT an MP. Of any flavour.
    Huh? What do you consider "work" for an MP? The vast majority of MP's work incredibly hard, and are paid buttons for their work. Hence, they abuse the expenses system. Now, the Lords on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Huh? What do you consider "work" for an MP? The vast majority of MP's work incredibly hard, and are paid buttons for their work. Hence, they abuse the expenses system. Now, the Lords on the other hand...
    £65k a year is hardly buttons.

The best thing about the bastards is that they no longer decide their own pay and expenses. Now stop me if I'm ranting but if they can't be trusted to take care of themselves, why do they think that they can be trusted to pass laws that effect us, the sheeple. Ropes and lamposts are too good for the lying thieving scumbags. Bastards the lot of them.

and breathe.....

Blog Entries

I assume you're reading the secret Tory manifesto where it details their plans for a progressive drugs policy, the scrapping of DRM and their friendliness to non-married parents.
    Are the Tories pushing "family values" which are boo to single people/divorced people, etc? (Yes)

Are the Tories the biggest opponents to drug decriminilisation? (Yes)

Tories failed basic liberal-check.

May be referring to "classic liberalism" whilst your thinking of modern liberalism.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

i'm quite happy with my original statement where the definition of tory = right wing / libertarian derives from the following statement: "if you view the dividing line in british politics as the question of where your social assistance becomes my individual interference then following characteristics arise"

The Lords do an excellent job, and they did an excellent job before they were reformed too.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 01-04-2010 at 20:18.

Blog Entries

£65k a year is hardly buttons.
    It is compared to legislators in many other countries.

The best thing about the bastards is that they no longer decide their own pay and expenses. Now stop me if I'm ranting but if they can't be trusted to take care of themselves, why do they think that they can be trusted to pass laws that effect us, the sheeple. Ropes and lamposts are too good for the lying thieving scumbags. Bastards the lot of them.
    Time to end this disastrous democratic experiment.

i'm quite happy with my original statement where the definition of tory = right wing / libertarian derives from the following statement: "if you view the dividing line in british politics as the question of where your social assistance becomes my individual interference then following characteristics arise"
    I would say that the Tories very much enjoy interfering in my personal life.

The Lords do an excellent job,
    Somewhat true. The majority of them are good lawmakers.

and they did an excellent job before they were reformed too.
    Yes, at keeping those democratically elected socialists in their place

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Go Liberal Democrats!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Are the Tories pushing "family values" which are boo to single people/divorced people, etc? (Yes)

Are the Tories the biggest opponents to drug decriminilisation? (Yes)

Tories failed basic liberal-check.
    Two fairly irrevevant issues in the grand scheme of things, as drugs will always be regulated and intellectual copyright aren't going anywhere. They're also very ego-centric issues; and secondary to the much larger concerns that embrace them.

Anyway, Libertarianism is not Liberalism. The Right to Free association, Free Speech, the right to Bare Arms, the right to Privacy.

They are Libertarian causes, and Labour goes against them all.
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 01-05-2010 at 01:24.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

A right to Bear Arms might get the RSPCA angry.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-05-2010 at 02:07.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

First/last one I can vote in, unless I come back and dwell within the UK again. So... I want to, but none of the parties appeal...
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Two fairly irrevevant issues in the grand scheme of things, as drugs will always be regulated and intellectual copyright aren't going anywhere. They're also very ego-centric issues; and secondary to the much larger concerns that embrace them.

Anyway, Libertarianism is not Liberalism. The Right to Free association, Free Speech, the right to Bare Arms, the right to Privacy.

They are Libertarian causes, and Labour goes against them all.
    correct.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    So what constitutes an important issue? You're incredibly naive if you think that drugs policy is "irrelevant".

Although I agree that they may be a liberal party, they are not Libertarian.

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast