Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How high a standard do you hold your self to?

Default How high a standard do you hold your self to?

How educated/knowledgeable/wise do you expect yourself to be? Do you wince when people say naive things that remind you of beliefs you had at one point?

How self disciplined, healthy, virtuous in general?

Do you generally feel like you should be better or are you happy just the way you are, and why?

Default Re: How high a standard do you hold your self to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    How educated/knowledgeable/wise do you expect yourself to be? Do you wince when people say naive things that remind you of beliefs you had at one point?

Do you generally feel like you should be better or are you happy just the way you are, and why?
    Oh I definitely wince. A lot of that comes from musical taste. I tend to deride fans of bands such as Greenday, Linkin Park, and Guns 'n' Roses a lot more than I would say Taylor Swift simply because I used to be really into them.

I also really hate getting things wrong. Being corrected is one of those things that I have trouble accepting. And, though I hate to admit it, I often get upset when I receive a B grade on something, A- even, if it's a history related topic.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Almost everyone in my family looks to me for advice. Its hard to look them in the eye and say "I don't know what to say" (It's mostly personal stuff)

Like my Sister dating a hardened criminal or even my mom having a divorce with her husband.

I always hold myself to a very high standard because of this. Because I feel if the voice of reason in my family was lost or not correct.....what would they do?

Everyone of my family is always amazed at how much Knowledge I have. When they have a question about computers/history/math or even relationships (Which is weird, since I was in only one serious relationship and it ended badly).

Blog Entries

I agree, but I expect that this is a very general question that everyone agrees with.

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

No, I don't get upset when people are ignorant. I try and explain to them why what they are saying is incorrect, if they listen to me then great but if they don't then I don't really care.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I feel that if I hold myself to low expectations and convince others to as well, it always look like I am a real go-getter when I do things as simple as bathing and not shooting up the Kinkos Fedex
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I have high standards for my own knowledge and wisdom, I expect myself to know lots.

Self-disciplined - I have terrible self-discipline.
    Healthy - Moderately so. I go through spells where I exercise intensely, then a spell of little or nothing.
    Virtuous - Yes.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I always feel like I can and should do better, however much I've done so far. For me, the second I'm happy with how I am is the second I've lost the battle...and I hate losing!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I like to get myself to the point where I can feel I have an educated opinion on matters of religious, philosophical and political importance and I also like to know at least the bare bones of as many things as possible. And yes I hate when people say naive things I used to believe in, but I also don't mind it too much because if they have those views there is a chance they could take the same journey I have made.
    This one not so much. I generally just see my body as a shell for my mind.
    I'm happy with what I am and I don't see what I shouldn't be. The moment I sell out and become what someone else wants me to be is the moment I will be disappointed in myself.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Educated, fully. Knowledgeable, very good, wise? Can't really judge because I'm not fully mature to understand everything and make every time a good decision.

Sometimes I do wince when I hear something that I used to believe, especially when I was a young teen but most of the times I laugh and remind myself of how I evolved.

Self disciplined - When there's a real target/objective in play, iron discipline. Iron.
    Healthy - Moderately. I work out and I always keep in shape.
    Virtous - Yes.

Happy the way I am, but can always improve.
    Why? I enjoyed my short life so far and I'm looking forward to continue that trend.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

How educated/knowledgeable/wise do you expect yourself to be?
    I know I can't know everything, but I have a very broad interest and I sometimes have periods in which I fanatically look for information about some random subject.

I don't really think in terms of expecting myself to be this or that. In fact, I never really thought about what I expect from myself.

I guess I'm just being myself and don't question myself too much.

It's not extreme of course. I do look in the mirror every morning to correct a bad hairday and I take a shower every day to avoid being smelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki
    Do you wince when people say naive things that remind you of beliefs you had at one point?
    No, not at all. In certain areas, I'm pretty naive myself. Also, sometimes it can be very refreshing to have your cynic viewpoints on a certain subject confronted with "naive" viewpoints. It makes you realise that you shouldn't be too cynic as there are apparently still good people.

I also don't think that because you changed your mind on something, it automatically means your previous viewpoint was wrong and your current viewpoint right. It might well be that your previous viewpoint was the better one.

"Il n'y a que les imbéciles qui ne changent pas d'avis".

I wouldn't call myself "self disciplined", but when I put my mind onto something, I go for it and I'll keep going until I reached my goal. I'd call it "extremely stubborn" instead of "self disciplined", though. It only happens when I truly want something. Sometimes, while I'm "on the road to achieve", I realise I was wrong and I don't want it and I just stop trying.

I live pretty healthy nowadays.

Virtuous is too vague.

I'm happy as I am. I don't ask myself why, which is probably one of the reasons I'm happy with who I am
    Last edited by Andres; 01-12-2010 at 15:34.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.
    Amen to that...

Anyhow, what standard? …Is that not a relative? - Personally, I’ve got little standards. Standards? ...Well, I’ve probably got even fewer virtues. Is that not a relative as well?! The few virtues I know about, I try to hold on too. It usually makes things easier – in the long run at least, and people don’t hate your guts as much and as easily. Besides it depends entirely on context, and who is looking. In one context I’ll be a plain dumbass, in another, not quite as stupid. Do I think that I am better or fancier than anybody? Hardly. If I were, I would know about it by now…

- Carry on
    ------------
    If you guys think I am stupid, and getting all things wrong here. At least have
    the courtesy of allowing me to say: “now, didn’t I just tell you so?! See…”
    Last edited by Axalon; 01-13-2010 at 02:55.

Originally posted by Axalon
    Anyhow, what standard? …Is that not a relative? - Personally, I’ve got little standards. Standards? ...Well, I’ve probably got even fewer virtues. Is that not a relative as well?! The few virtues I know about, I try to hold on too. It usually makes things easier – in the long run at least, and people don’t hate your guts as much and as easily. Besides it depends entirely on context, and who is looking. In one context I’ll be a plain dumbass, in another, not quite as stupid. Do I think that I am better or fancier than anybody? Hardly. If I were, I would know about it by now…

- Carry on
    ------------
    If you guys think I am stupid, and getting all things wrong here. At least have
    the courtesy of allowing me to say: “now, didn’t I just tell you so?! See…”
    A most interesting and tantalising conundrum...
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I expect myself to be as educated and knowledgeable as possible, but I'm quick to admit when I have no idea, or when my information may be sketchy/incomplete. Long ago I learned that admitting what you don't know makes you appear far smarter than you really are. As for wincing, it really depends. Honest ignorance is nothing to get weird about. We're all ignorant in our own ways. But deliberate obtuseness is a different matter.

Extremely. My personal philosophy, for what it's worth: Be hard on yourself, but forgiving of others. Be conservative in personal practices, but liberal in what you accept from others. Hold yourself to high standards, but never have unrealistic expectations of your family and friends.

I could always be better. Who couldn't? It's a minute-by-minute, day-by-day thing. One of my favorite musicians had a great line: "At every moment you are presented with opportunities to make your music worse." Same applies to life. Sometimes not making things worse is the best possible aspiration. Depends on the situation.

Thumbs up Re: How high a standard do you hold your self to?

I am so hot.

Blog Entries

Some would say too high.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I am actually pretty well educated but I usually can't stand the well educated. I don't hold my self to a very high standard, be nice towards others that's all.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Be hard on yourself, but forgiving of others. Be conservative in personal practices, but liberal in what you accept from others. Hold yourself to high standards, but never have unrealistic expectations of your family and friends.
    That's about it.

I flatter myself that I can predict with approximately 66% certainty what x person will do in situation z, after a conversation with Mr. X. Which is about the same success rate as my picks percentage for american football games. This after nearly 60 years breathing air. I'm not rich on my football picks, nor lauded for my advice to Mr X. So I obviously have still, much to learn. And I chide myself for not seeing what should have been obvious, whilst forgiving my friends who suffer the same affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by SasakiKojiro
    I should be better, because I'v been around so long. It's a shame I wasted so much time sorting out some of the details of my life. Lesson: I should have asked for help. It was available, I just didn't know how to swallow my pride, admit my humanity, and ask.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    That's about it.

I flatter myself that I can predict with approximately 66% certainty what x person will do in situation z, after a conversation with Mr. X. Which is about the same success rate as my picks percentage for american football games. This after nearly 60 years breathing air. I'm not rich on my football picks, nor lauded for my advice to Mr X. So I obviously have still, much to learn. And I chide myself for not seeing what should have been obvious, whilst forgiving my friends who suffer the same affliction.
    What about a conversation with Mr. T? How would that change a man?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

educated/knowledgeable/wise...: Well it all depends on what. I study history and while there are subjects I know plenty about, don't expect me to know the details of political leaders from the early modern age. Though I guess when it comes to the Pre-islamic Arabia in the hellenistic period I guess I'd be the best of my year. (though mostly because I assume I'm the only one interested in it lol). In general I think I'm a quick learner and I'm pretty good at abstract thinking and logic. But I'm not someone who can learn everything by head. Due to having broad interest from an early age, I do think I know the basics stuff from most disciplines. But I do lack in depth knowledge of most of these subjects. But I do make that up a bit because I'm always learning myself some new stuff. Wise: that's a hard one. What is wisdom in the first place. I'm pretty good at thinking and I know myself pretty well. But I'm bad when it comes to other people. Especially in predicting other people's reactions.
    I do tend to sometimes look down a bit on people who say stupid stuff. Which is not a good thing, I say a lot of stupid things myself probably. But what I can't tolerate is not people being uninformed, but people choosing to be uninformed. Take my gf for example, she knows nothing about politics and chooses not too. It's boring and of no interest of mine she claims. I can't believe how one could think that way. Another example is people believing in things or having opinions on certain things without thinking about them or informing themselves about it. I don't care what religion someone is, or what religion my kids would chose. But how can you pick something as important as a religion without ever thinking about it? Or how can someone ignore the greenhouse effect or do the contrary and protest agains climate change, without try to learn more about it. I really feel pitty for those kinds of people. Either reserve your opinion or spread it but inform yourself. To me the opinion is less important that the informing part really.

Disciplined: not too much really. I can be pretty lazy. While I can be a hard worker, I have problems motivating myself if I'm not doing it for someone else or if someone else isn't judging.

Healthy. Well actually I do not care much. My take on it has always been, I'd rather live short, happy and unhealthy than living a long but boring healthy life. My main problems are probably eating to much fat and sugar, a continuos and serious lack of sleep and too much alcohol.

Virtuous? Well depends how you define it. I guess it has different interpretations form culture to culture and person to person. I'm pretty generous and I almost never cheat even when I can. (I mean at exams, money related stuff,...) Something I never had problems with when I was a kid though. I guess people can grown up in some ways. I do still lie at times when I shouldn't though.

There's always room for improvement. But I've had a pretty good time on this globe already and I bet that's going to stay that way for a while. You know I'm pretty good at being happy. So at least I'll always have that.
    Last edited by Moros; 01-13-2010 at 18:56.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I would say pretty high, mostly because when I am pretty cocky and when someone else does something I think I can do it better.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do an Australian accent.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Wait. How high a standard does Sasaki hold himself to?

Well, there are things I hold myself to high standards on. But I know people who hold themselves to standards that I just find silly. They are working and striving and unhappy with themselves and it just seems like they'd be better off reevaluating their priorities. So I have to wonder if my own are as well.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I would say pretty high, mostly because when I am pretty cocky and when someone else does something I think I can do it better.
    Me. 35 years ago.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    There's always room for improvement. But I've had a pretty good time on this globe already and I bet that's going to stay that way for a while. You know I'm pretty good at being happy. So at least I'll always have that.
    My man, we pulled the joker.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Do an Australian accent.
    Knoife, Barbie, Kola bear.

Me. 35 years ago
    Except better
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Knoife, Barbie, Kola bear.

I love watching Americans attempt and fail at doing an Aussie accent.

Kniife, Baaarbie, KoalaDrop bear.

Edit: And if you ever try do Australian and say 'shrimp' you've failed.
    Last edited by pevergreen; 01-15-2010 at 00:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I love watching Americans attempt and fail at doing an Aussie accent.
    True story: At a bar in NYC with a couple of actors (a guy and a great-looking woman) and an Aussie editor of a magazine. The Aussie is obviously going nuts for the actress, so he declares that he will give oral gratification to any of us who can do a "real" Australian accent.

I know for a fact that the two actors can't do it. What the Aussie doesn't know is that I'm something of a mimic.

The two actors try. They fail. All eyes turn to me, but in a dismissive way, a sort of, "Let's get it over with the writer guy, so we can then listen to the Aussie editor go on for a bit about how he's won the bet."

I set down my beer, and in a dare-I-say-perfect imitation of Paul Hogan, recite a Subaru commercial, phoneme for phoneme.

Embarrassed silence. Shuffling of feet. Finally, the Aussie editor stands up and screams, "I will not **** this man's ****! It is an evil ****!"

/true story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast