Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Nusantara Total War : Portugese Invasion

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nusantara Total War : Portugese Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    All dutch cavalry should only have a handgun, except for the lanciers. We just didn't use swords on our horses, why use swords when you have guns?
    simple things, there is no such gun cavalry animations for RTW... so I must use the swords.

and as far as Javanese literatures are consulted, there was no such things as gun armed cavalry operating in significant numbers in Indonesia that period (two evidence of Dutch gun armed cavalry are depictions of VOC officers), although crossbow armed cavalry are mentioned.

ADD: and there was museum diorama depicting early VOC forces fought mounted with minor armour, with swords, and wearing cowboy like hats...
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 05-17-2010 at 18:32.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    simple things, there is no such gun cavalry animations for RTW... so I must use the swords.

and as far as Javanese literatures are consulted, there was no such things as gun armed cavalry operating in significant numbers in Indonesia that period (two evidence of Dutch gun armed cavalry are depictions of VOC officers), although crossbow armed cavalry are mentioned.

ADD: and there was museum diorama depicting early VOC forces fought mounted with minor armour, with swords, and wearing cowboy like hats...
    Stupid! that phrase of Penunggang kuda membawa bedil, was referred to common units, not an officer! anyone can point out to a direction and shout "THE ENEMY WAS HERE!" not just the officer!
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Stupid! that phrase of Penunggang kuda membawa bedil, was referred to common units, not an officer! anyone can point out to a direction and shout "THE ENEMY WAS HERE!" not just the officer!
    Ouch... my bad... so we must made the mounted gunners animation then? (I exclude mounted gunner units for that reasons )

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

so far, the European unit lists and naming... I'll ask Skull to patch the "leaked" units

Bodyguards:
    Dutch Knight Bodyguards (lancers-cavlswords) = Lijfwatchen
    Portugese Knight Bodyguards (lancers-cavlswords) = Cavaleiros-Fidalgos Portugueses

Infantry:
    Port Colonial Pikemen / horde (pike-shortswords) = Piqueiros Portugueses
    Port Colonial Crossbow / horde (crossbow-shortswords) = Besteiros Portugueses
    Port Colonial Swords / horde (longswords) = Escudados Portugueses
    Portuguese Swordsmen Militia (longswords) = Peoes Portugueses
    Portuguese Pikemen (pike-shortswords) = Tercos Portugueses
    Portuguese Crossbowmen (crossbow-shortswords) = Cacadores Portugueses
    Portuguese Arquebusiers (gun-longwords) = Arcabuziros Portugueses
    Portuguese Musketters (gun-longswords) = Muskueteiros Portugueses
    Portuguese Halberdiers (2handed spear-axes) = Alabardeiros Portugueses
    Portuguese Noble Pikemen (pike-shortswords) = Suicos Portugueses
    Portuguese Elite Swordsmen (longswords) = Escudeiros-Fidalgos Portugueses
    Dutch Colonial Pikemen / horde (pike-shortswords) = Koloniale Piekeniers
    Dutch Colonial Crsbow / horde (crossbow-shortswords) = Koloniale Kruisboogschutters
    Dutch Colonial Swords / horde (longsords) = Koloniale Voetvolk
    Dutch Swordsmen Militia (longswords) = Voetvolk
    Dutch Pikemen (pike-shortswords) = Piekeniers
    Dutch Crossbowmen (crossbow-shortswords) = Kruisboogschutters
    Dutch Arquebusiers (gun-longswords) dutch hat! = Haakboogschutters
    Dutch Indo Heavy Infantry (2handed spears) = ???
    Dutch Musketters (gun-longswords) dutch hat! = Musketiers
    Dutch Halberdiers (2handed spear-axes) = Hellebaardiers
    Dutch Elite Swordsmen (longswords) = Zwaardvechters

Cavalry:
    Portuguese Jinetes (cavjav-cavlswords) = Dragoes Portugueses
    Portuguese Heavy Cavalry (lancers-cavlswords) = Cavalareiros-Vilaos Portugueses
    Portuguese Cuirassiers (cavlswords) = Couraceiros Portugueses
    Portuguese Heavy Lancers (lancers-cavlswords) = Lanceiros Portugueses
    Dutch Light Cavalry (cavlswords) dutch hat! = ???
    Dutch Heavy Cavalry (lancers-cavlswords) = ???
    Dutch Cuirassiers (cavlswords) = Kurassiers
    Dutch Heavy Lancers (lancers-cavlswords) = Lansiers
    You're welcome. I've noticed that Skullheadhq didn't put "Neerlander", you can also eliminate the "Portugueses", which stands for Portuguese.

The Portuguese Heavy-Cavalry is "Cavaleiros", not "Cavalareiros".
    EDIT: Also Musketeers is "Musqueteiros", not "Muskueteiros" (The "k" letter never existed in Portuguese)
    Last edited by Jolt; 05-17-2010 at 19:38.
    BLARGH!

Sang Hulu Jurit Balamati Member plutoboyz's Avatar
    Near a dammed warlike tribe called "Indonesian"

how about artillery? will we include them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plutoboyz View Post
    how about artillery? will we include them?
    of course yes .... I still looking for some artillery pieces from certain mods and waiting for permissions... after got that, we'll move on and got some balancing jobs...

@ Jolt : thx... fixed...
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 05-17-2010 at 19:48.

Blog Entries

thx to Jirisys too, he helps in translating some Spanish Mercenaries (who are highly sought in South East Asia that time)

Spanish Jinetes Merc (cavjav-cavlswords) = Jinetes Mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merce Arquebusiers (gun-longswords) = Arcabuzeros Mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merc Musketters (gun-longswords) = Mosqueteros Mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merc Pikemen (pike-shortswords) = Piqueros mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merc S&B (longswords) = Espadachines Mercenarios Espanoles Con Buclero
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 05-17-2010 at 22:29.

thx to Jirisys too, he helps in translating some Spanish Mercenaries (who are highly sought in South East Asia that time)

Spanish Jinetes Merc (cavjav-cavlswords) = Jinetes Mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merce Arquebusiers (gun-longswords) = Arcabuzeros Mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merc Musketters (gun-longswords) = Mosqueteros Mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merc Pikemen (pike-shortswords) = Piqueros mercenarios Espanoles
    Spanish Merc S&B (longswords) = Espadachines Mercenarios Espanoles Con Buclero
    Spanish mercenaries? In South-East Asia? Are you sure? That seems completely wrong. The costs of Spanish people going to South-East Asia (I'm not even talking about the opportunity to do so) are so extraordinarily high that seeing Spanish mercenaries (Except when employed to be a part of the Portuguese expeditions in a part of the world where their State had no interests beyond the Philippines (And therefore little opportunity to be inserted within that part of the world) is very small, and I'm extremely surprised that you say that they were highly sought after.
    BLARGH!

I am an experienced skinner and would like to provide aid in the development of this modification. I am very busy so this offer (forgive if I may offend some) is only going to be extended once. I am extremely illustrious in other projects, some that I am even paid full time to work for, so I would like to immediatley begin work as soon as possible to save time. Please hit me back with a response.

-Hroth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Spanish mercenaries? In South-East Asia? Are you sure? That seems completely wrong. The costs of Spanish people going to South-East Asia (I'm not even talking about the opportunity to do so) are so extraordinarily high that seeing Spanish mercenaries (Except when employed to be a part of the Portuguese expeditions in a part of the world where their State had no interests beyond the Philippines (And therefore little opportunity to be inserted within that part of the world) is very small, and I'm extremely surprised that you say that they were highly sought after.
    Actually, Spanish did maintain significant presence in Eastern mollucas and Philliphines, they are bitter rival to that of portuguese in 16th Century, even bringing sultanate of Ternate and Tidore under their "Protectorates". As such relationships was developed (even after the Iberian Union), in the western part of the Islands, they often side with the Native kingdoms against Portuguese and later the Dutch. Their skill in wars was highly prized, and they often form a mercenary core in the Battle.

here's an English source you can understand, and don't forget that moluccas is just mere eastern side of the Indonesia.
    http://www.colonialvoyage.com/spainmoluccas.html

--- if you want more refrences, we'll quote the Indonesian sources and try to translate them...

In Sejarah Melayu there are stated that King of Maluku requested aid from Sultan Alauddin Riayat Syah of Melaka after his kingdom defeated by force from Kastilan...well, that Castile Kingdom of Spain...

Quote Originally Posted by intifadanyz View Post
    In Sejarah Melayu there are stated that King of Maluku requested aid from Sultan Alauddin Riayat Syah of Melaka after his kingdom defeated by force from Kastilan...well, that Castile Kingdom of Spain...
    One thing is an official Spanish force. Another altogether is mercenaries. Mercenaries do not belong to official armies and my main doubt is that spanish individuals would come to offer their services on the other side of the world when they could very easily do it so in Europe.

Also my thanks to Sonic for the link. I was aware of the increased Spanish activity in the Eastern Indies after the Portuguese-Spanish personal union, but I had never heard that the Spanish had sent expeditions to try and wrest control of the Mollucas away from the Portuguese. As usual, they failed. ^_^
    BLARGH!

Modeler, please take a look of this. updated unit concept.
    Last edited by plutoboyz; 05-18-2010 at 14:35.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

I believe there is a Napoleonic mod out there, maybe you could ask them for the animations.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Blog Entries

One thing is an official Spanish force. Another altogether is mercenaries. Mercenaries do not belong to official armies and my main doubt is that spanish individuals would come to offer their services on the other side of the world when they could very easily do it so in Europe.
    of course they go to our islands with their official armies... but a huge ammount of gold offered by local natives and possible riches (spices being more prized than gold, remember?)... as well as some offer of exotic girls (right, they also paid with slave-girls ^^).... Could easily sway their loyalty and they turn themself into mercenary services...

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe there is a Napoleonic mod out there, maybe you could ask them for the animations.
    yeah, but they hold the musket like holding a bow
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    SHITLESS!

but it's cool.... awesome unit models

of course they go to our islands with their official armies... but a huge ammount of gold offered by local natives and possible riches (spices being more prized than gold, remember?)... as well as some offer of exotic girls (right, they also paid with slave-girls ^^).... Could easily sway their loyalty and they turn themself into mercenary services...
    uhh, That happens because Indonesians aren't Primitive like the Aztecs!
    but, most of them created their new colonies, and that's why the Gov. created an alliance (VoC, EIC)
    but, no Mercenaries. They were not Mercenaries. they're free Colonists, or traders
    perhaps

Agreed. who in the World wants to go to the other side of the world only for one's sake?
    No One! (except Grand Marshalls, now that, is something diffrent)
    Last edited by G. Septimus; 05-18-2010 at 15:15.
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Blog Entries

not mercenaries, but colonists and traders...? (oh wait... you are the European researcher)

but perhaps, they are did involved in mercenary activity, and then could be called mercenaries for that reason (because local kings sometimes giving them luxurious gifts and golds and slave girls to made the spaniards with them)

--------------- take this as example (soory Jirisys )

Imagine Jirisys (as a Spanish colonists), sent from his poor family in Spain because they can't keep in feeding him, he was young and not yet married, and he didn't have any real job in Spain, so he apply for become lowly ship crews and try his luck on Spanish armada's trip to far eastern spice islands, later known as Indonesia. For a year, he endure harsh working conditions, low quality foods, and rough sea. After land in the Spanish colony in Moluccas, his supervisor gave him helmet, armour, longsword, and a buckler, and forced him to fight because the local was hostile at Spanish forces (the Spanish did trade armour and weapons for spices, but when they had problems, they did mentioned to arm even their lowest ship-crews to fight because they carry many spare armours and weaponaries - so Jirisys was basically Spanish horde swordsmen). After that, he was braced his very first battle, he stand in the front ranks, just at the side of the Pike formations, defending himself in formations of swordsmen, repelling wave after wave of native levies... and he coming out alive in winning Spanish army because he worn armour, and his enemies are mostly unarmoured, unwilling, and unskilled peasants armed with mere bamboo spears... common to be found in eastern islands (western indonesian army depicted in the Portuguese invasion mod was much better trained, willing, and equipped than eastern Indonesian army! don't even compare moluccas peasant units with Javanese-Sundanese peasants, the Javanese and Sundanese had some martial tradition living even in the peasant society, while the moluccas was completely bland peasants).

Ok, with that experience of battle, and some other battle against some peasant human waves again... Jirisys become battle harded veterans, because he could simply pwn bamboo spear equipped peasants with his swords easily, and he allready kill some. He was promoted to regular soldiery in Spanish army, and tasked to guard a missionary expedition to Java. As you can expect, guarding missionaries and priests, he was forced to live in strict rules, discipline, and most importantly, the boring religious sermons and ceremonies (for him). For some time, he must endure all of it, and one day, the missionaries and priests said the Soldiers could go back to Moluccas because they want to settle down in the village, and convert the locals to Christianity... Jirisys and his friend in that band of soldiers, actually was expected to simply go back and resume their activity in the Army. But a Blambangan (majapahit) noble comes, and ask them to help them in fight against Demak army. At first, they may refuse, but after that, the Blambangan nobles start to open the chest he carries, and show them a big sum of gold coins. He then lead them to his camps, give them tuak (sugarcane-wine), silk clothes, and most importantly, slave girls for each to bang. Of course, befitted of the name of hedonistic pleasures, Jirisys choose to stay in the camp (to drunk and bang the slave girls). A week later, a messager comes and told them to prepare for a coming battle. Jirisys worn his armour (that was cleaned and polished by his slaves), and found himself placed in the central front ranks of battleline. His captain (in his band) order them to charge right into the Demak line, and found themself able to outmatch the Prajurit Pamedhang of Javanese army, because they had better armour. He won and got more gold coins, as well as more slave girls to statisfy his needs... After all of that...

Could you told that wasn't a mercenary activity? (note : this story of Jiri is fictional, but I done this based on historical texts, how the Spanish army works for Indonesian nobles was treated)
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 05-19-2010 at 07:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Septimus Severus View Post
    uhh, That happens because Indonesians aren't Primitive like the Aztecs!....
    hold on... Aztec aren't primitive. They are advanced enough compared Old World. their achievement are by themself. unlike ancient greeks who became advanced because of Egypt and India.

Blog Entries

hey, you also forgot to mention that Jirisys will also got his share of spices, and when Jirisys want to coming to his parent's home in Spain, he will most likely secure some personal relations with the spice traders here, and got secure money for the rest of his lifetime... but if he survives the battles and wars he involved with...

Blog Entries

not mercenaries, but colonists and traders...? (oh wait... you are the European researcher)

but perhaps, they are did involved in mercenary activity, and then could be called mercenaries for that reason (because local kings sometimes giving them luxurious gifts and golds and slave girls to made the spaniards with them)

--------------- take this as example (soory Jirisys )

Imagine Jirisys (as a Spanish colonists), sent from his poor family in Spain because they can't keep in feeding him, he was young and not yet married, and he didn't have any real job in Spain, so he apply for become lowly ship crews and try his luck on Spanish armada's trip to far eastern spice islands, later known as Indonesia. For a year, he endure harsh working conditions, low quality foods, and rough sea. After land in the Spanish colony in Moluccas, his supervisor gave him helmet, armour, longsword, and a buckler, and forced him to fight because the local was hostile at Spanish forces (the Spanish did trade armour and weapons for spices, but when they had problems, they did mentioned to arm even their lowest ship-crews to fight because they carry many spare armours and weaponaries - so Jirisys was basically Spanish horde swordsmen). After that, he was braced his very first battle, he stand in the front ranks, just at the side of the Pike formations, defending himself in formations of swordsmen, repelling wave after wave of native levies... and he coming out alive in winning Spanish army because he worn armour, and his enemies are mostly unarmoured, unwilling, and unskilled peasants armed with mere bamboo spears... common to be found in eastern islands (western indonesian army depicted in the Portuguese invasion mod was much better trained, willing, and equipped than eastern Indonesian army! don't even compare moluccas peasant units with Javanese-Sundanese peasants, the Javanese and Sundanese had some martial tradition living even in the peasant society, while the moluccas was completely bland peasants).

Ok, with that experience of battle, and some other battle against some peasant human waves again... Jirisys become battle harded veterans, because he could simply pwn bamboo spear equipped peasants with his swords easily, and he allready kill some. He was promoted to regular soldiery in Spanish army, and tasked to guard a missionary expedition to Java. As you can expect, guarding missionaries and priests, he was forced to live in strict rules, discipline, and most importantly, the boring religious sermons and ceremonies (for him). For some time, he must endure all of it, and one day, the missionaries and priests said the Soldiers could go back to Moluccas because they want to settle down in the village, and convert the locals to Christianity... Jirisys and his friend in that band of soldiers, actually was expected to simply go back and resume their activity in the Army. But a Blambangan (majapahit) noble comes, and ask them to help them in fight against Demak army. At first, they may refuse, but after that, the Blambangan nobles start to open the chest he carries, and show them a big sum of gold coins. He then lead them to his camps, give them tuak (sugarcane-wine), silk clothes, and most importantly, slave girls for each to bang. Of course, befitted of the name of hedonistic pleasures, Jirisys choose to stay in the camp (to drunk and bang the slave girls). A week later, a messager comes and told them to prepare for a coming battle. Jirisys worn his armour (that was cleaned and polished by his slaves), and found himself placed in the central front ranks of battleline. His captain (in his band) order them to charge right into the Demak line, and found themself able to outmatch the Prajurit Pamedhang of Javanese army, because they had better armour. He won and got more gold coins, as well as more slave girls to statisfy his needs... After all of that...

Could you told that wasn't a mercenary activity? (note : this story of Jiri is fictional, but I done this based on historical texts, how the Spanish army works for Indonesian nobles was treated)
    okay, if it's like this, let's make an AAR!! (Pre-release)
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plutoboyz View Post
    hold on... Aztec aren't primitive. They are advanced enough compared Old World. their achievement are by themself. unlike ancient greeks who became advanced because of Egypt and India.
    They don't use clothes and use earrings on their noses!\Indonesians (Even before Religion-spreading) don't do that. we already had clothes from the pre-Budha/Hindu times. you have a point though. they created the Calendar (2012)- but that is the Mayans. the Aztecs were just Conquerors who were conquered by The Spanish

Source: The English in Indonesia, 500 years span from Gramedia
    ~Sev (I used to do this on posts)
    Last edited by G. Septimus; 05-19-2010 at 11:09.
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Blog Entries

wait for the shared Portuguese/Dutch/Spanish militia/elite swordsmen to be completed first (the difference is just colours and armour, elite wear much heavier armour)

Blog Entries

wait for the shared Portuguese/Dutch/Spanish militia/elite swordsmen to be completed first (the difference is just colours and armour, elite wear much heavier armour)
    like this?:
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Blog Entries

yoi, that was for the Portuguese/Dutch militia swordsmen, but they will have shoulder protector and foot protector as well in Elite Swrodsmen's case.

*. but I don't think that I've ever seen that kind of shield... could you give the details of your picture? it was interesting, maybe they fought against some kind of Elite unarmoured swordsmen... (that will be represented with 2 or even 3 HP in our mod terms)

Blog Entries

yoi, that was for the Portuguese/Dutch militia swordsmen, but they will have shoulder protector and foot protector as well in Elite Swrodsmen's case.

*. but I don't think that I've ever seen that kind of shield... could you give the details of your picture? it was interesting, maybe they fought against some kind of Elite unarmoured swordsmen... (that will be represented with 2 or even 3 HP in our mod terms)
    I don't have any source about that, maybe I'll read my Book
    I'll continue making the Euro Faction Members. we can use M2TW Avatars
    I'll right it down
    ADD:
    the Settlements under Dutch control, will easily rebel. since Indonesians don't like Dutch due to their cruelty.
    instead of Rebels Rebelling, it'll be British/ Previous Owner Faction.
    Last edited by G. Septimus; 05-19-2010 at 11:56.
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Blog Entries

okay,
    new idea:
    Faction Hero/ Badass-Master chief guy
    they must be shown with badass pics
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Blog Entries

okay,
    new idea:
    Faction Hero/ Badass-Master chief guy
    they must be shown with badass pics
    just no, one man army like in Aristeia is simply... err..... ahistorical...
    plus leaders and "heroes" at this time mostly got some kind of command position.

and even when I like the idea of one man mow down an army, it was ahistorical... the one man show was mostly single man to man duel occured in general vs general battle...

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

VoC:
    Check This out
    achh, needa check out on the "Real Apperance" and the "In-Game" one
    The governor-generals never lived in Indonesia, but stayed in the Netherlands.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Blog Entries

The governor-generals never lived in Indonesia, but stayed in the Netherlands.
    but some certainly did... and who did actually lived in Indonesia, always got his personal hands on military campaign.
    and JP Coen for example, are written as brave (and cruel) generals, fought dismounted in the front ranks, led the men to charge enemy line...

*. so he will be spawned with infantry bodyguards... maybe version of elite swordsmen or some kind.
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 05-19-2010 at 14:57.

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

I'd do it

~Jirisys (Yeah baby!)
    Because we all need to compensate...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast