Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Mass Effect 2 gameplay thread

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Mass Effect 2 gameplay thread

About halfway through Arrival. I just escaped the prison, which I felt was way too short.
    Im disturbed at the lack of dialogue options.

Ill finish the mission, then Ill post the rest of my thoughts.

Also Kekvit Irae, the reason why you wouldnt have seen the Reapers is because they didnt arrive yet. If you could see them then you failed since they would have passed through the relay.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    About halfway through Arrival. I just escaped the prison, which I felt was way too short.
    Im disturbed at the lack of dialogue options.
    That's another thing that surprised me. Especially ( I know i keep harping on it, but I can't help it ) after shadow broker. It was just so interactive, including paragon and renegade persuade options, as well as multiple chances for interrupts to influence the conversation. I'm afraid Arrival falls prey to the typical Bioware DLC missteps that effort managed to get away from.

I heard the guy in charge of the Shadow Broker team wasn't working on this one, and many felt Arrival would suffer for it. Seems like it did.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Decided to start the whole thing all over again in anticipation. Finished ME with a level 52 Shep, importing into ME2 now...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Finished the DLC. I felt like it was way too short. I felt like much of it was rushed.
    But at least the ending is epic.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    How is Harbinger back? He up and exploded in 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    How is Harbinger back? He up and exploded in 1...
    That was Sovereign.

Harbinger was the reaper controlling the collector general through remote possesion. The ending of 2 implies Harbinger was with the rest of the reapers outside the galaxy, and removed his conciousness before the sattelite exploded.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Oh right, got confused there.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

*snip*
    Spoiler tags, plz.

The point wasn't that the Reapers would use the Alpha Relay in 28 minutes, the point was that the Reapers would be in the galaxy (specifically the system you were in) in 28 minutes by entering using FTL travel. To coin a movie phrase, "Theeeeeeey're heeeeeeere!" Yeah, it'll take weeks or months for them to get to another relay, but the point is that they are already in the galaxy.

Like all other DLC, nothing that occurred ever has any effect on the game as a whole. You cant just go to the Citadel and say to the council, "Oh hey, remember Sovereign? Yeah, his buddies just entered Batarian space. Go take a look if you don't believe me." The entire DLC is, like Monk says, a tease. If you complete the DLC just after Horizon, the game as a whole no longer makes any sense because there is no further mention of this HUGE event ever happening. Ever.

Ok, Ill agree with you when you put it that way. It was unclear though if the mass relay was the Reapers entry point to other relays or the entry point to the galaxy itself. For all we know, the Reapers have a special mass relay that goes only to that relay, and with its destruction the other mass relay would be rendered useless.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Video game to anime crossovers just don't cut it. I've never watched one that I really liked.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Blog Entries

I've been told the halo ones did well, though then again I consider anything that send 12 yr old halo brats into a rage doing well.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Never saw the Halo movies. Watched one that was about Batman when it was aired on TV, didn't like it. Maybe I've been looking at the wrong sort of stuff but there are only two kinds of anime I've ever seen. The ones for 12 year olds, and the ones that are marked 18+.
    Games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, and Witcher and the sort, they ought to be made into live action movies. Epic stuff like the Lord of the Rings series.....maybe not that epic...but still.......

Mass Effect 3 "not-so-big spoilers, but spoilers nonetheless"
    Rock Paper Shotgun article

Now the Illusive Man and Cerberus wants to kill you, no matter what you did in ME2? Wonder if Miranda & Jacob might be enemies if you did not treat them nicely in ME2
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

I wonder what this means for Miranda more than I do Jacob.
    After all, if you bring her on to the final boss and choose to destroy the base, she quits Cerberus. Plus I deeply care about this because I romanced her whenever I could. Jacob doesnt do anything really. He stays with Cerberus either way.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I guessing they had to limit the amount of reused characters otherwise you could end up with potentially no characters if they all died in the suicide mission. I always felt that the people who campaigned for certain characters in ME2 were maybe going to be dissapointed in ME3. Hence I was glad Liara was not in ME2 at the start as it meant she probably be back for ME3 but when Garrus was in the whole story for ME2 I was a bit apprehensive.

There was a huge campaign for Tali if I remember rightly and they have probably made it so the character will not be in ME3 now, I'm guessing that most of the ME2 characters will be done like Wrex was if he did or did not survive Virmire.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Apparently there are....(no real spoilers)
    many good and bad endings...And they'll depend on what squadmates are with you at the end..
    Well I just hope that they have this one absolutely butterflies and daisies sort of ending where everyone lives happily ever after...I got enough of cliffhangers and sad endings from Dragon Age

Im also glad Legion is back. I love that guy. Though I wish he was a squaddie.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader View Post
    Mass Effect 3 "not-so-big spoilers, but spoilers nonetheless"
    Rock Paper Shotgun article

Now the Illusive Man and Cerberus wants to kill you, no matter what you did in ME2? Wonder if Miranda & Jacob might be enemies if you did not treat them nicely in ME2
    Yeah they kinda wrote themselves into a corner with ME2 and Cerberus involvement.. not at all surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yeah they kinda wrote themselves into a corner with ME2 and Cerberus involvement.. not at all surprised.
    I always felt the Cerberus involvement in ME2 was not entirely..."natural". It wasn't unbelieveable, but they were really portrayed as evil in ME1, nothing about humanity's interests at heart. Felt like someone at Bioware had a soft spot for Cerberus and really wanted them in.

Another 180* with Cerberus now after, in my opinion they tried to paint Cerberus in a more positive light or rather being more "gray than black", has to be believeable, because there are definitely some Shephard savegames out there with a pro-Cerberus bent.
    As for characters, I can't see Wrex or Liara becoming squaddies really, as Wrex seems to become the new Krogan Overlord, while Liara is the Shadow Broker. I'd say its more likely you go to Wrex and ask if the Krogan can help you attack the Reapers (Reapers being the most dangerous enemy around, should suit Krogan real fine) and Liara being Shadow Broker, one you can get lots of information from.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Im also glad Legion is back. I love that guy. Though I wish he was a squaddie.
    I'm a bit annoyed he is not a squaddie sure they could have easy just put a lantern on it and said oh by the way I downloaded myself before the sucide mission in case I got killed ta da so I'm back now so I am

I can't see Wrex or Liara becoming squaddies really, as Wrex seems to become the new Krogan Overlord, while Liara is the Shadow Broker. I'd say its more likely you go to Wrex and ask if the Krogan can help you attack the Reapers (Reapers being the most dangerous enemy around, should suit Krogan real fine) and Liara being Shadow Broker, one you can get lots of information from.[/SPOIL]
    Yea I'm guessing your going to end up doing a load missions for all your old mates to get the differ races to help defend earth.

The Rachni are so gonna be in it I can see a scenario where races are paired off just like characters were in ME2, oh look I havent got enough Paragon to keep the Quarians and the Geth both loyal
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 04-08-2011 at 21:36.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

I always felt the Cerberus involvement in ME2 was not entirely..."natural". It wasn't unbelieveable, but they were really portrayed as evil in ME1, nothing about humanity's interests at heart. Felt like someone at Bioware had a soft spot for Cerberus and really wanted them in.

Another 180* with Cerberus now after, in my opinion they tried to paint Cerberus in a more positive light or rather being more "gray than black", has to be believeable, because there are definitely some Shephard savegames out there with a pro-Cerberus bent.
    As for characters, I can't see Wrex or Liara becoming squaddies really, as Wrex seems to become the new Krogan Overlord, while Liara is the Shadow Broker. I'd say its more likely you go to Wrex and ask if the Krogan can help you attack the Reapers (Reapers being the most dangerous enemy around, should suit Krogan real fine) and Liara being Shadow Broker, one you can get lots of information from.
    You have to remember in ME1 the only background you got on Cerberus was from The Alliance, who labeled them as nothing more than a terrorist group. And this:

From an admiral scared, on the run and looking over his shoulder every five minutes.

I could buy that we didn't "get the whole story" the first time pretty easily.

More on Cerberus in ME2 and implications for 3, and ME2 and ME1 ending spoilers: Read at your own risk!
    I felt that the endings were much too black and white in regards to cerberus. Either the Illusive man declared you an enemy of Ceberus and went out of his way to insult you "I should have known you'd choke under the pressure." Or, you become the Ceberus Hero set to uhser in a new age for the galaxy with ceberus at its head. With the power given to them by the Collector base their influence would soon outweigh even the Council's. I doubt, if you chose a Renegade ending, anyone would be able to defy Cerberus with the technology they had at their disposal.

Now contrast that to the first game's ending.. No matter what you did, good, evil, neutral, in the final battle of the game no matter WHAT ending you take - the game ends on a "The reapers are coming..." note, setting the clear stage for the next game. It's very neat, very tidy, and VERY easy to continue the story. Whether the council was dead or not seemed very minor in comparison to the impending threat, and the only question seemed to be whether humanity would lead, or simply be one of many, in the coming alliance to defend the galaxy.

ME2 was the complete opposite.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-08-2011 at 23:10.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112