Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout: New Vegas

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Exclamation Fallout: New Vegas

Is it too soon to get excited? A lot of the guys who worked on F1 are returning for this round. Mmmm, taste the aftermath. Some of the (scanty) information that's out:

Obsidian obviously has a tradition of working with the role-playing genre, but its past has more to do with Fallout than you might initially think. Its history dates back to the creation of the original Fallout. A team of developers at Interplay created the first entry in the franchise and their group was later turned into Black Isle Studios. The development house went on to make Fallout 2, amidst other projects such as Icewind Dale and assisting on Baldur's Gate, before being disbanded amidst Interplay's financial trouble.

This wasn't the end of the road, though. Many members of the group then went on to form Obsidian Entertainment. The head of Obsidian is Feargus Urquhart, who lead Black Isle. After Bethesda acquired the Fallout license from Interplay and brought Obsidian on board to work on New Vegas, Urquhart's and many other coworkers' careers came full circle. Fallout 3 may have been the first introduction to the franchise for many, but Bethesda's first spin-off will take it back to its roots.

Last edited by Lemur; 02-04-2010 at 22:25.

Default Re: Fallout: New Vegas

Yeah, hopefully they'll FINISH the game. Then again, I would rather have a half-finish great game than a fully finished average game.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

looks pretty cool, though a rendered trailer tells nothing about the game honestly.

my main hope is that they will stick with the FO3-esque way. if they do a turn-based one like FO2 and 3, I'll be very dissatisfied and not buy it.

but one thing we can discern from this, is that it seems the New California Republic is trying to take over Vegas, and that some main character (probably the player???) is from vault....either 77, or 171. I saw 77 on his back, but 171 on his helmet. can anyone else see it better?
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

This will be better then FO3, at least to those who have been with the series since 1 and 2 due to Obsidian having a lot of people who used to be in Black Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    but one thing we can discern from this, is that it seems the New California Republic is trying to take over Vegas, and that some main character (probably the player???) is from vault....either 77, or 171. I saw 77 on his back, but 171 on his helmet. can anyone else see it better?
    I missed the number first time around. Upon a second look, I believe it's 117. Although it is ruddy hard to tell. Edit: Nope, you were definately right. It's 171.

I have high hopes. Not expecting a mirracle, mind you. I don't think for a minute that'll be on par with the first two games.
    Last edited by Justiciar; 02-05-2010 at 14:00.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Any speculation as to who the evil looking guy is towards the end?

Doesn't look enclave to me..

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

The flag indicates that he's from the NCR (New California Republic).

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/New_California_Republic
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Blog Entries

BLACK ISLE LIVES ONCE MORE

Not much on the official site yet, but there is this:

Experience all the sights and sounds of fabulous New Vegas, brought to you by Vault-Tec, America's First Choice in Post Nuclear Simulation. Explore the treacherous wastes of the Great Southwest from the safety and comfort of your very own vault: Meet new people, confront terrifying creatures, and arm yourself with the latest high-tech weaponry as you make a name for yourself on a thrilling new journey across the Mojave wasteland. A word of warning, however — while Vault-Tec engineers have prepared for every contingency,* in Vegas, fortunes can change in an instant. Enjoy your stay.

* Should not be construed as a legally binding claim.

What is the release date?
    Fallout: New Vegas is scheduled for a Fall 2010 release on the Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3, and Games for Windows in North America and Europe.

Who is developing the game?
    In conjunction with Bethesda Softworks, Fallout: New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the creator of award winning RPGs such as Neverwinter Nights 2. Obsidian is also led by the founders of Black Isle Studios — the developers of the original Fallout and Fallout 2.

Where does Fallout: New Vegas take place?
    In and around New Vegas in Nevada.

What is Fallout New Vegas’ rating?
    Currently the rating is pending, but is planned as a Mature-rated title.

What are the PC system requirements?
    Closer to the release of Fallout: New Vegas, we’ll share the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Is Fallout New Vegas a Games for Windows title? Will it require Windows?
    Fallout: New Vegas is a Games for Windows title. As such, you’ll be able to use an Xbox 360 controller if you choose. New Vegas will run with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

Will Fallout New Vegas include multiplayer?
    No, Fallout: New Vegas is a single-player game only.
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-06-2010 at 19:52.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Now that I know bearing great expectations for Fallout series by Badhesta was a huge mistake yet, what kind of brand/name/whatever it is, hearing "Fallout" itself makes me want to skyrocket.

With Obsidian behind the curtains, stakes are higher now, at least I want to believe.

OMG, Fallout has to be the worst game series of all time. :P I was hoping that the third was the last. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Hmmm. Interesting. Hopefully it is a fresh take on the series. 1 & 2 are awesome, but outdated. And 3 is meh, (plot/quest wise). They've definitely got the development team to do so.
    Last edited by naut; 02-07-2010 at 16:16.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Fallout 3 had a pretty poor main story, but I did find it a lot of fun to explore. With mods, its a fun game to explore and collect stuff in. As long as New Vegas promises the same entertainment value for money, I'll get it.

Wondering if New Vegas requires Games for Windows Live client as Fallout 3 did.

Fallout 3 was an okay game in my book. Will keep an eye on this, but had too much hassle with GFWL.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Sure sounds like it, Krusader.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Is Fallout New Vegas a Games for Windows title? Will it require Windows?
    Fallout: New Vegas is a Games for Windows title. As such, you’ll be able to use an Xbox 360 controller if you choose. New Vegas will run with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

Sure sounds like it, Krusader.
    I was under the impression it meant it needed certain criteria: Wikipedia page
    I have some games with the logo but which still didn't require the GFWL client installed.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader View Post
    Wondering if New Vegas requires Games for Windows Live client as Fallout 3 did.

Fallout 3 was an okay game in my book. Will keep an eye on this, but had too much hassle with GFWL.
    I also had issues with G for WL--especially the technical issues I encountered when trying to download the first 2 expansions. I must have spent literally 20 hours or more over on the phone with their tech support over a 2 month period trying first to simply download the conten and then even more time trying get them to simply run. Finally, one of tech support persons at tracked it down to the firewall setting inherent with my IT router settings. Strange, that I've never had any of these types of problems with Steam.

I also object to their points system for purchasing DLC. It is obviously aimed at skimming extra profit off of unused points since none of their points purchase price increments ever match the costs of the various DLC.

I was so fed up with the experience that I went out and bought the Game of the Year edition just to get the last three
    expansions so I didn't have to fool with Windows Live any more. I was able to snag a copy off of Ebay for less money than
    the remaining 3 expansions would have cost me on Windows live anyway, and totally avoided any more on line hassle

As far as the game of Fallout 3, I enjoyed it immensely have just in the last few weeks played completely through it and all 5 expansions again. I never played the older Fallout games, so I cannot compare. I probably never will either since I find it hard to stomach fixed Isometric 3/4 view games in this day and age.

However, if I can get the kind of game play "bang for the buck" I got out of Fallout 3, I will buy Vegas in a heartbeat.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 02-08-2010 at 14:37.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Blog Entries

I've had huge problems with GWL. I originally didn't have an account when I started my first game, so when I did create one, it didn't transfer over. Although this was annoying, I just had to remember to log out every time I reloaded. After finishing that game, I started a new one with GWL. However, when Ii bought the DLC, it declares that I need to create a new GWL account, which I did, only to find that it has mysteriously misplaced my new game, and left me with my old game, which I had completed.

Man, everyone in here is too critical. Fallout 3 was a good game, was it everything that Fallout fans wanted? Only a fool would think that, especially on Beth's first crack at the thing, but it is enjoyable in the extreme and does follow the lore accurately which is why it was one of the best games of the year. New Vegas will be more in line with the lore due to Black Isle workers on it and it will probably be better.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I like the game as well, never seen such a well realized and convincing game-world. Dunno about this trailer, a little too much deja-vu a la THIS IS FALLOUT

Desperately Seeking Tamworth Member Ethelred Unread's Avatar

There's a preview in this month's PC Gamer (UK).

The main character in this one isn't from a vault - you start as a courier left to rot in a shallow grave - presumably that's your hand in the intro vid?

The screenies they print show someone in an vault 21 suit however
    "The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials"

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Wink Re: Fallout: New Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Man, everyone in here is too critical. Fallout 3 was a good game, was it everything that Fallout fans wanted? Only a fool would think that, especially on Beth's first crack at the thing, but it is enjoyable in the extreme and does follow the lore accurately which is why it was one of the best games of the year. New Vegas will be more in line with the lore due to Black Isle workers on it and it will probably be better.

I think if you will re-read most of the posts you find that most people really enjoyed or are praising the game and are looking forward to the next release. I know that statement fits my situation. I found the story both inventive and plausible at the same time although like most I objected to my character being put in a no win situation at the end. Of course Bethesda listened to the complaints and rectified this with one of the expansions.

Besides one does not expect Shakespeare when playing a PC game. Personally, if pressed to do so, I would list Fallout 3 as one of my top ten games of all times and did just that last week at another forum.

My only complaint, as were several others, was not about the game, but was about the hassles encountered with the Games for Windows Live implementations---both in their overly complex payment point structure, and various technical issues that many encountered.

They may have changed this by now, but at first even if one did not own an XBox, one first had to join X-box live to set up an account to get a user name, so they can purchase DLC points to spend at Windows Live. It took me forever to find support for the DLC since the only support phone numbers given were at XBox live not Windows Live. It turned out that they all worked out of one base phone number. Also from that point on I started to get useless bi-monthly update and promo emails from Xbox Live, which I finally got stopped. I have a PS 3, and one console is more than enough for me.

Windows Live is stupendously clunky in it methods and operations when compared to something like Steam, but that's
    the only real complaint I ever had relating to Fallout 3.

Playing through it twice in the last 10 months or so has probably provided me with well over 250 hours of both entertaining and challenging game play. I can't think of many games other than the TotalWar series that have given me that kind of gaming value for my money.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 02-08-2010 at 15:18.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed the game, a lot, and I particularly enjoyed the no-win scenario at the end. My problem is GWL.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACIN
    New Vegas will be more in line with the lore due to Black Isle workers on it and it will probably be better.
    Possibly.

Fallout 3 missed the mark for me because, well it's a brown Oblivion, with assault rifles. And Oblivion never really did it for me. There were plenty of good bits, but they were spread thin. And on top of that it wasn't particularly challenging.
    Last edited by naut; 02-09-2010 at 07:05.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Possibly.
    http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6937
    What's up.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Possibly.

Fallout 3 missed the mark for me because, well it's a brown Oblivion, with assault rifles. And Oblivion never really did it for me. There were plenty of good bits, but they were spread thin. And on top of that it wasn't particularly challenging.
    The only thing they did wrong is the music imho, better suited for a walk in paradise instead of a nuclear wasteland. And they should have added javelins and spears, but I am not that far currently level 8, challenge is fine these super mutants are less intimidating then they used to be but I am still not happy to see them.

More previews of previews:

In an exclusive first look at Fallout New Vegas, CVG sister mag PSM3 reveals that developer Obsidian has taken dialogue and scripting up a notch in the sequel to Fallout 3.

Lead producer of Fallout New Vegas, Larry Liberty said: "We had to modify the dialogue engine from Fallout 3 to include the types of dialogue and options that we wanted.

"We want real, memorable characters. I think it helps you to remember parts of the world you'd otherwise forget."

As part of its world-exclusive cover feature, PSM3 played an extensive demo of New Vegas. The mag reported that it was 'apparent that Obsidian are much more comfortable behind the keyboard than the team that made Fallout 3 and, before that, Oblivion. The scripting is wittier, the characters more distinct.'

More previews of previews:

In an exclusive first look at Fallout New Vegas, CVG sister mag PSM3 reveals that developer Obsidian has taken dialogue and scripting up a notch in the sequel to Fallout 3.

Lead producer of Fallout New Vegas, Larry Liberty said: "We had to modify the dialogue engine from Fallout 3 to include the types of dialogue and options that we wanted.

"We want real, memorable characters. I think it helps you to remember parts of the world you'd otherwise forget."

As part of its world-exclusive cover feature, PSM3 played an extensive demo of New Vegas. The mag reported that it was 'apparent that Obsidian are much more comfortable behind the keyboard than the team that made Fallout 3 and, before that, Oblivion. The scripting is wittier, the characters more distinct.'
    Considering what I thought of Fallout 3's characters, script and writing, it wouldn't take much at all to improve on it. Ahem.

On a less grumpy note, I'm expecting a lot from Obsidian in this area. Writing has always been the strong point of the team's major names. Technical stuff, less so. That's where I expect Bethesda to do their work, since that's their strong area. If this partnership works better than the ones Obsidian have had with Bioware, and the two teams play to their strengths, we could have an incredible game.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I believe his helmet says (7)
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast