Thread: Need some Classical Music suggestions

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Need some Classical Music suggestions

Well as a change from my usual punk and hardcore music I have had a recent urge to listen to some classical music, mostly so I can relax whilst doing homework, etc. I have listened to some of it in the past and generally prefer the more fast-paced and militaristic pieces.

So yes, any recommendations?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Need some Classical Music suggestions

Most Wagner should suit your needs.

Takes a while to get going https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edE...M&feature=fvsr <- my favorite
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-27-2010 at 08:23. Reason: better version

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post

Takes a while to get going https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edE...M&feature=fvsr <- my favorite
    Thanks for that, I'm listening to some Wagner on YouTube now (The very idea of which seems so strange to me... the internet being used for rather high culture...) and it does seem about right. Are there any other similar composers people can recommend to me?

EDIT: Preferably something more symphonic, as I prefer that to Opera in my previous experience.
    Last edited by CountArach; 02-27-2010 at 08:43.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Maybe this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8

I relax with this by the way, never been all that hot on too much fanfare, I like beauty in simplicity. Not what you are looking for but if you want to expand your horizon a bit.

Satie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAJ...eature=related I am 100% Satie was manically depressive.
    Chopin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRO05WcNDk pure tranquility.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-27-2010 at 12:28.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Thanks for that, I'm listening to some Wagner on YouTube now (The very idea of which seems so strange to me... the internet being used for rather high culture...) and it does seem about right. Are there any other similar composers people can recommend to me?

EDIT: Preferably something more symphonic, as I prefer that to Opera in my previous experience.
    I protest the division between High and Low culture etc etc.

Anyway, based on your comments, I'd suggest trying these works, easily accesible:

Tchaikovsky 1812. The definition of bombast. Complete with cannon blasts and all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2W1Wi2U9sQ

Dvořák's Ninth Symphony - so very beautiful. (The accents here are more than pedantry, it tries to respect the pronunciation as 'Dvorzhak')
    The fourth movement should suit you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OaU...A3A0AE&index=4
    But the best part is the hauntingly beautiful second movement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ENf4VEhI40
    The symphony was written as an ode to the new world. (I.e. America)

German romantic symphonies, especially Beethoven and Brahms.
    Beethoven's Ninth is the greatest music ever written. The fourth movement is not of this earth.
    Its most glorious performance was in 1989:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imv2...eature=related
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 02-27-2010 at 18:35.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Beethoven's Ninth is the greatest music ever written. The fourth movement is not of this earth.
    Its most glorious performance was in 1989:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imv2...eature=related
    Lies and poppycock. Everyone knows Beethoven's Ninth was ripped off from American bluegrass music. Here's the proof.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Moldau.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post

I can't listen to Wagner without the ghost of Nietzsche screaming in my ear that he's an idiot :[

Shosty (Or, Shostakovich if you want to be accurate) is always good fun. The Festive Overture is particularly good, mainly for the stomping tuba solo at 1:55
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kBGP9iv1qw

Gustav Holst is also another favourite, with the Suite in Eb being my favourite piece, again because of the Tuba.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehb6...eature=related
    The suite is composed of three movements. You'll probably find the third the most interesting, which begins at 7:38

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    I can't listen to Wagner without the ghost of Nietzsche screaming in my ear that he's an idiot :[

Shosty (Or, Shostakovich if you want to be accurate) is always good fun. The Festive Overture is particularly good, mainly for the stomping tuba solo at 1:55
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kBGP9iv1qw

Gustav Holst is also another favourite, with the Suite in Eb being my favourite piece, again because of the Tuba.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehb6...eature=related
    The suite is composed of three movements. You'll probably find the third the most interesting, which begins at 7:38
    Holst's Planets are aslo really fun. I like Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rachmaninov, Liszt, Brahms, Gershwin, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Debussy, Ravel, Strauss, Berlioz, Stravinsky, Franck, Dukas and Bach

Have a big fun long listen, though you can easily get one of those packs with like 40 odd CD's of everything for around $30 or so, or used to have them.. I remember them advertised around 6 years ago...
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Well as a change from my usual punk and hardcore music I have had a recent urge to listen to some classical music, mostly so I can relax whilst doing homework, etc. I have listened to some of it in the past and generally prefer the more fast-paced and militaristic pieces.

So yes, any recommendations?
    Well, although Mozart is not my choice, here is his complete collection of 16 GB (yes, the torrent is actually legal due to the lack of copyright on his work).

I myself am more partial to Shostakovich (in accordance with the copyright law of 1973 which gives a 25 year period after the death of the author - Shosta died in '75) - and Beethoven but that is my personal preference. (both links are the full collections IIRC)

Links deleted by busybody mods, Lemur
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-28-2010 at 03:01.

If I am not mistaken the musical scores themselves are public, but the recordings are not because they are the property of those who performed them. Not entirely sure though. Also linking to Torrent sites is prohibitted according to the site's rules, so you may want to remove those.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I have some listening to do.

EDIT: Oh and Lemur, I actually cringed at that...

To clarify for CA and AP, there's nothing wrong with torrents per se; both Europa Barbarorum and Ubuntu are best grabbed as torrents.

That said, CA is correct, all of those recordings are probably in copyright, so I'm deleting the linkies, AP, and you should know better going forward. The musical scores are free of copyright, but the recordings of the performances are probably not.

EDIT: Oh and Lemur, I actually cringed at that...
    And I am now officially obsessed with Beethoven on the banjo. Here's a more epic version of Ode to Joy.
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-28-2010 at 03:10.

I protest the division between High and Low culture etc etc.
    I know, so do I. It was meant as a wry observation more than anything else.
    Dvořák's Ninth Symphony - so very beautiful. (The accents here are more than pedantry, it tries to respect the pronunciation as 'Dvorzhak')
    The fourth movement should suit you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OaU...A3A0AE&index=4
    But the best part is the hauntingly beautiful second movement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ENf4VEhI40
    The symphony was written as an ode to the new world. (I.e. America)
    I'm just listening through the 4th Movement now, and wow... this is fantastic.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just found out I actually know some one in the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Choir, weird.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I'm just listening through the 4th Movement now, and wow... this is fantastic.
    I love watching it together with paintings of the Hudson River School. The two mix, reinforce one another, as beef and Bordeaux becoming one in entrecôte Bordelaise.

19th century America sought to express, to find, its identity, in its landscapes. Art representative of the dramas of settling a new continent. A new man, a new freedom, a new world. But still grounded in European romanticism. America is always at its best when it mixes European with something completely new. They mix like cèpes and chestnuts, so very different, at once contrasting and complementarity.

Then by the end of the 19th century Americans grew rich and could afford boat fares to Paris to study European arts, and decadence and festering decay was spread to American arts.
    New European immigrants by then, meanwhile, found not the wide open spaces of virgin land anymore, but urban blight and poverty.
    Ah well, we can still dream of America as paradise. What an age, what a splendid new world!

[/all sorts of tangents]
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 02-28-2010 at 05:04.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    To clarify for CA and AP, there's nothing wrong with torrents per se; both Europa Barbarorum and Ubuntu are best grabbed as torrents.

That said, CA is correct, all of those recordings are probably in copyright, so I'm deleting the linkies, AP, and you should know better going forward. The musical scores are free of copyright, but the recordings of the performances are probably not.
    Good thing I asked before posting, or else I would have been in trouble

So if the music is uncopyrighted, does that not mean the recordings are free to distribute? Not sure about this, I will have to check the source of that music. If the Shostakovich music was recorded by the Russians, it is likely free to distribute. The rest I cannot answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Good thing I asked before posting, or else I would have been in trouble

So if the music is uncopyrighted, does that not mean the recordings are free to distribute? Not sure about this, I will have to check the source of that music. If the Shostakovich music was recorded by the Russians, it is likely free to distribute. The rest I cannot answer for.
    It is free to distribute if there is no copyright on the recording itself, or the copyright is specifically public domain (You will find that most are not).

Now listening to Wagner's Das Rheingold Scene 1... not understanding what is going on, but it is very nice music, particularly the violins screaming out.

So if the music is uncopyrighted, does that not mean the recordings are free to distribute?
    No. No. No. In music there are many angles of copyright and licensing. Let's boil this down: If I record Bruce Springsteen playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb," I may not distribute that recording without Mr. Springsteen's permission. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" is public domain, but Springsteen's performance of it is not.

If the Shostakovich music was recorded by the Russians, it is likely free to distribute.
    That may well be. There's a whole sub-class of works that either weren't copyrighted or were incorrectly copyrighted. For example, the original Night of the Living Dead was never copyrighted, so you can legally sell copies of it. Weird but true.
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-28-2010 at 16:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Scienter View Post
    I like Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
    Yeah, especially Gnomus, so dreamy and sinister https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYY6kT_0cxE

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

In terms of militaristic pieces I think the following two should be alright for you: Radetzky Marsch and Preußens Gloria
    Last edited by spmetla; 02-28-2010 at 19:47.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.