Thread: suggestion about recruiment...

Lightbulb suggestion about recruiment...

My suggestion is: Recruiting specific units, by specific factions, in specific regions could be
    replaced by a radius which is centered by capital. For example going further means less factional troops.
    In this way the game could be more accurate. Beacause purpose of this game is changing the history.
    but in europa barbrorum this is not possiable.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: suggestion about recruiment...

Hello ardorious, welcome to the .Org and to EB .

The recruitment system of EB2 will be very different from that of EB1, so I suspect we will be seeing more flexibility and what can be recruited where. However, absolute distance to the capital will not be a factor. Recruitment in the classical era depended on social status, specifically citizenship and wealth. Both groups tended to cluster around the capital, but this definitely wasn't a factor of distance. An Epeirote king would recruit phalangites from Hellenes, whether these came from Macedon or Bactria. Samnites, on the other hand, were not eligible for pezhetairoi service.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

oh yes i got the point thanks to your reply.
    your example is enoght for me...
    but the recruiment is a problem for me in EB1. now i am playing the roman campaign and havin' some difficulties about iberia. core troops of roman camilian maniple is dominating the game but iberian units are killing me... so that i can not progress in the game... or i must wait for Gaius Marius...
    my point is: was it so difficult in history to? i mean, were the troops of rome that seized iberia and carthage is all about the units that came from italy?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ardorious View Post
    my point is: was it so difficult in history to? i mean, were the troops of rome that seized iberia and carthage is all about the units that came from italy?
    Pretty much. The typical offensive Roman army consisted of two legions of Romans and two alea ("wings") of allies, totalling 20000 men. These allies were often Italians that were equiped like the Romans, but they could also be local allies. Scipio the Elder's aleas were actually Iberians, and he was assisted by Numidian cavalry during the battle of Zama. So don't feel bad about supplementing your army with local troops. The Romans do not get factional MICs outside Italy until the Marian reforms, so you might as well use type III or IV governments until then.

Incidentally, the Romans did not have an easy time subjugating Iberia. The second Punic war started there in 218 BC, but Caesar was still pacifying tribes in 62 BC.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

also the eb2 recruitment sistem will be based on something like the mercenary pools so it will make for a far more interesting game you will build buildings to increase the rate at wich troops are refilled or the size of the recruitment pool so it should be a great game in managing and planing your offenssives wise