Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marxist Healthcare is as Nothing Compared to the End of Your Civilisation

Default Re: Marxist Healthcare is as Nothing Compared to the End of Your Civilisation

Cooking and variety are both overrated. Besides, the org poll showed that American cuisine was the best (once you transfer the votes from people who misunderstood the question).

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    For me, there is nothing that can compare to authenticity, although it would be nice if we (in the UK) could get away from the tedious TV chef's programmes where everything is protrayed as quaint -that's you Rick Stein.
    What does authenticity taste like?

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: Marxist Healthcare is as Nothing Compared to the End of Your Civilisation

British food is generally pretty bland so I am willing to concede that French food is more interesting and inspired*, and you are probably a better lover too**, for that matter your language is mellifluous***, and you climate is simply superb compared to our own****.

to counter that I can only add:
    > that we rarely eat our own food, cos we brought everyone elses food back home
    > that we rarely partake of our own ladies, our universities are full of foriegn young hotties
    > you got me there, but we burgled your best words anyway
    > what do you think Costa del Empire was all about, holiday homes in sunnier climes ;)

* a roast dinner is lovely, but there has to be more to a national cuisine than that
    ** is is to our shame that we used to mock the french for "making love with their faces" as if that were some kind of insult
    *** no one whos seen Alfedersein Pet (sp?) would argue otherwise
    **** nothing nice about wales, let me tell you!
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Cooking and variety are both overrated. Besides, the org poll showed that American cuisine was the best (once you transfer the votes from people who misunderstood the question).
    Oh no,no, no,nooo. You had it all. All the emmigrant cuisines from French and Italian to Chinese. All the fantastic new ingredients and spices and what was the result? Fried Chicken and burgers.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Oh no,no, no,nooo. You had it all. All the emmigrant cuisines from French and Italian to Chinese. All the fantastic new ingredients and spices and what was the result? Fried Chicken and burgers.
    The straight dope--who invented pizza?

So we need to start with some definitions. Shall we confine our attention to American pizza, now found throughout the world? If so, no problem--it was invented in America in the 1950s. That's probably not the answer you were looking for, although the New World did make possible pizza as we know it today.

However, it was the 1950s when pizza caught on outside the Italian-American community, and quickly spread throughout the U.S. and became an international food, now found in every country.
    Same story for all of our "foreign" food. "Chinese Food" is chinese-style American food, etc.

We also invented potato chips.

Additionally:

History of Marshmallow Fluff
    Part One
    On May 14, 1920, a small article appeared in the Lynn, Massachusetts, Daily Evening Item announcing that two young men, H. Allen Durkee and Fred L. Mower, both graduates of Swampscott High and veterans of the United States Infantry in World War I, had formed a partnership in the manufacture of Marshmallow Fluff. The actual date that they started working together is hard to pin down, because they had been making candies together before they started making Fluff. The company numbered two men in those days, and they started out cooking their confections in the kitchen at night and selling them door to door in the daytime.

As Durkee wrote in 1930: "Ten years ago we started out with one barrel of sugar (at 28 cents per pound) a few tin cans: two spoons: one second hand Ford, and no customers, but plenty of prospects. Today (after a short span of only ten years) we have thru the fine cooperation of the wholesale grocers, the largest distribution of marshmallow cream in New England, and no Ford."

The origins of Marshmallow Fluff actually go back to 1917. Before WWI, a Sommerville MA man named Archibald Query had been making it in his kitchen and selling it door to door, but wartime shortages had forced him to close down. By the time the war was over, Mr Query had other work and was uninterested in restarting his business, but he was willing to sell the formula. Durkee and Mower pooled their saving and bought it for five hundred dollars. Having just returned from France, they punningly renamed their product "Toot Sweet Marshmallow Fluff" but "Toot Sweet" didn't stay on the label for long. The situation of "no customers, but plenty of prospects" didn't last long either. An early receipt still in the company's scrap books records the sale in April, 1920 of three one gallon cans to a vacation lodge in New Hampshire. The price at the time was $1.00 a gallon! The door to door trade gained a reputation among local housewives that eventually placed Fluff onto local grocers shelves. Retail trade spread from there to the point where in 1927 they were advertising prominently in Boston newspapers.

In 1929 they moved to a factory on Brookline Street in East Lynn, more than tripling their floor space to 10,000 square feet. At this point, they also hired four new employees, bringing their numbers to ten. They also merged with the Cream of Chocolate Company, makers of Rich's instant Sweet Milk Cocoa, and Durkee-Mower entered the Hot Chocolate business. Rich's Instant Sweet Milk Cocoa was too long a name for shoppers to be expected to remember easily, so in 1937 the name was shortened to simply Sweeco, and made more prominent on the label. The name and label change was backed up by a large newspaper advertising campaign, and the product's sales increased rapidly. Durkee-Mower continued to make Sweeco until 1962.

Durkee-Mower became a pioneer in radio advertising when in 1930 they began to sponsor the weekly "Flufferettes" radio show on the Yankee radio network, which included twenty-one stations broadcasting to all of New England. The fifteen minute show, aired on Sunday evenings just before Jack Benny, included live music and comedy skits, and served as a steppingstone to national recognition for a number of talented performers. The show continued through the late forties.

Some of the earliest Flufferettes shows included the Book-of-the-moment Dramas. In this series of thirteen short comic sketches, a fictional scholar with the proper Bostonian name of Lowell Cabot Boswell confronted some creatively rewritten moments in American history, from the Revolutionary War to the Harvard-Yale bicycle race. Each episode ended with a narrator reporting that Boswell had disappeared to continue work on his mysterious book, which was assumed to be a historical text of monumental importance. On the last episode

the Book-of-the-Moment was revealed. It was a collection of recipes for cakes, pies, candies, frostings and other confections that could be made with Marshmallow Fluff, appropriately entitled the Yummy Book. The book has been updated many times since then, and the most recent version is thirty-two pages long. It can be obtained by sending a request to the address on back of the Fluff label, with twenty five cents to help defray postage and handling costs.
    SOURCE

The straight dope--who invented pizza?

Same story for all of our "foreign" food. "Chinese Food" is chinese-style American food, etc.

We also invented potato chips.

Additionally:

SOURCE
    Allright i add modern pizza and marshmallow fluff to that list then.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe a black America invented Ice Cream too.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

What does authenticity taste like?
    Better? People tend to do things for a reason, although i can't deny that that reason can also be sheer bloodyminded-ness.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I believe a black America invented Ice Cream too.
    I've been to Black America. It's very nice there. I hear they have a white president now.

Seriously though, Black America?

(edit: didn't notice the "a".... concluded it meant something different. I'll be leaving now. )
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-25-2010 at 07:00.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

All hope is not lost, we now beat the britishmen at rugby.

White Panther (Legalize Weed!) Member AlexanderSextus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Dude! America DOES have it's own Proper cuisine! Ever heard of Barbecue? New England Clam Chowder? Corn Pudding? Cranberry Sauce? Hot Cocoa?
    Do you hate Drug Cartels? Do You believe that the Drug War is basically a failure? Do you think that if we Legalized the Cannabis market, that use rates would drop, we could put age limits on cannabis, tax it, and other wise regulate it? Join The ORG Marijuana Policy Project!

In American politics, similar to British politics, we have a choice between being shot in our left testicle or the right testicle. Both parties advocate pissing on the little guys, only in different ways and to a different little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderSextus View Post
    Dude! America DOES have it's own Proper cuisine! Ever heard of Barbecue? New England Clam Chowder? Corn Pudding? Cranberry Sauce? Hot Cocoa?
    Well as you can see from the smilie. My comment was bit on the joking side.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderSextus View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ottomans were barbecuing things long before Europeans discovered America.

White Panther (Legalize Weed!) Member AlexanderSextus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ottomans were barbecuing things long before Europeans discovered America.
    Still not the same way though.
    Do you hate Drug Cartels? Do You believe that the Drug War is basically a failure? Do you think that if we Legalized the Cannabis market, that use rates would drop, we could put age limits on cannabis, tax it, and other wise regulate it? Join The ORG Marijuana Policy Project!

In American politics, similar to British politics, we have a choice between being shot in our left testicle or the right testicle. Both parties advocate pissing on the little guys, only in different ways and to a different little guy.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

lol
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I think the first barbeque occured when lightning struck the African savannah, and Ugh the scavenging homo erectus couldn't find anything to eat in the scorched landscape, saw a burned impala, took a bite and thought to him himself 'hey....what if...'

Of course the technique has since been refined. Reaching its current pinnacle in me always driving unpredictably and erratically at 140 Mph. Then once at home I check the front grill of my pick-em-up for bits of game that I might have ran over, which I scrape off and burn for dinner at my longhorn bar-b-q.

Only for pro's.

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

You two change back. I'm seriously scared now - eloquent Texan and a French with a cow fetish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12