Thread: New campaign maps for Medieval XL, Caravel, and Vanilla

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New campaign maps for Medieval XL, Caravel, and Vanilla

Hello dear MTW players!

I have, since a while back, created a different take on the classic parchment map for the brilliant XL mod (Update: and for vanilla MTW and the Caravel mod) by Viking Horde, and I thought I'd share it with you all. Ever since I first studied the original map released together with vanilla a couple of years ago, I wondered how much time CA really had to render the pseudo parchment. Some things were left in that should've been cleaned up, and regions often had a dry and sparse look, sometimes almost like a wasteland.

When Tyberius put together a new map for his awesome graphical upgrade, I was immensely inspired and went to work with
    my own rendition, utilizing a couple of his ideas along with my own. I did not copy and paste anything from his work, but merely used
    the same sources and image editing techniques to achieve something very similar yet different.

My aim with the map was therefore to a) correct the errors, mistakes and "roughness" b) give the map a more clear and
    historical feel c) make the colors a little more robust and vivid. I believe that the end result is quite satisfactory considering these
    goals.

Here are some of the changes made:

• New, more "chartlike" sea names
    • Sea monsters and ships added to the seas
    • (Optional) land borders similar to the map by Tyberius, but these are not by the coasts
    • Islands cleaned up
    • Removed ugly bevel effect around steppe provinces, so the entire map now has the same "height"
    • Some provinces have more content (ex. Serbia no longer looks like a parking lot)
    • Complete reworking of the Scandinavian, Baltic and Russian areas
    • New province names
    • Lithuania no longer flat, but lush as it should be
    • A little more color added to the whole map
    • Mountains added in Italy and Greece
    • More grass patches added throughout the map
    • Rock desert provinces toned down
    • New trees for Temperate and Sand Desert provinces, and shading added under trees in Rock Desert and Arid lands
    • Middle eastern water fixed

Screenshots of some of the changes:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I would like to thank Viking Horde for creating one of, if not the best mods for any game, anywhere! And Tyberius, for
    great minds think alike regarding the graphical style that suits MTW, and for the great features of his map that I was inspired by.

Download links for MTW XL with or without Tyberius add-on:

XL MAP WITHOUT BORDERS

XL MAP WITH BORDERS

XL TEMPERATE MAP WITHOUT BORDERS

Download link for original MTW (any version) or the Caravel Mod:

VANILLA/CARAVEL TEMPERATE MAP WITHOUT BORDERS

Installation instructions:

Download any of the map files and place it in the Textures\campmap directory in your main Total War\Medieval folder. There
    is a file called Maptex2 there and you should overwrite it. And also, the low resolution campaign map is not included in this download,
    so if you (for some reason) are playing the blurry version in your game, my map won't show up.

Enjoy!

/Durango
    Last edited by Durango; 12-25-2011 at 00:26. Reason: Clarified text