Thread: GH's next game: Interest gauger

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default GH's next game: Interest gauger

(Sorry if you were expecting any fancy/epic previews or anything. It's not really how I operate.)

Okay, here's the situation: With Mafia IX approaching the endgame, I've been starting to look ahead towards my next game, with a target start date of early fall. It will be role-intensive, much like Pirate Ship Mafia. For a while now I've had this spot automatically marked down as Pirate Ship Mafia II. However, last night I had a really good idea and think this would naturally translate to a truly epic Mafia game.

The problem is one of timing. Whichever game misses out and doesn't get hosted in the fall will have to wait. Normally, this would be fine and I can just host it the next time I come up. However, in June 2011, .Org Mafia will turn five years old, and I cannot mark that occasion with anything other than Mafia X. So basically, whichever game doesn't get hosted in the fall probably won't be able to be hosted until early 2012. Sound like a long way away to you? Yeah, me too.

So, I figured I'd ask you which game you'd rather want to play. I posted no poll on purpose in order to get you guys to actually answer on this one. In-depth posts that explain reasoning will tell me a lot more than a simple poll answer.

- Pirate Ship Mafia II. The sequel to the original, only tweaked to make it way more chaotic and individual. You know what you're getting, but there will be a lot more danger and paranoia this time around, as I am going to heavily work on removing the safety net that is stable pro-town groups.

- War in Heaven. The setting is pre-Creation Heaven, where the rebellious Lucifer has entrusted several of his lieutenants to infiltrate the angelic hierarchy and systematically eliminate every single loyal angel. I just thought up this game last night and haven't come up with anything more than a basic plot and a couple of named roles, but there is obviously going to be a lot of RP material available for you to base your play off of, and, I believe, the highest stakes that have ever been present in a mafia game (can't get much higher than the ultimate fate of mankind and the universe). My early projections have this game as being less chaotic and dynamic than Pirate Ship II would be, but probably far more immersive.

Your input/opinion is greatly appreciated.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: GH's next game: Interest gauger

War in Heaven, as I would be instantaneously lynched in Pirate Ship Mafia

Also, I like the idea of the Paradise Lost scenario

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PSM II.

Maybe this time Reenk would recruit me in time

Plus, Lucifer again? That didn't go well last time
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Pirate Ship Mafia II sounds more appealing to me.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

War in Heaven.

I realize the appeal of Pirate Ship Mafia, and I also appreciate your desire to tweak it and get it just right, but I have a feeling it will go the other way and simply be a mindless slaughter due to the chaos of "he who is lucky enough to be mafia" inflicting a lot of pain on everyone else, until (most likely) the rival mafia kills them. Plus vig groups who add to the carnage... a half dozen kills per night until it's an easy victory for the luckiest faction. Doesn't feel like Pirate Ships and traitors anymore, it feels like a group of nuts in an insane asylum. The game will progress too fast and too bloodily for any sort of analysis to work. Were it not for some early deaths of the mafia in PSM, the game would have been balanced. Putting too much against the town might make a mafia victory more likely, but it was already pretty likely were it not for some quick, cheap deaths in the town's favor, methinks.

On the other hand, I think I would enjoy War in Heaven much much more.... no idea what to expect, and that's what I like.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    On the other hand, I think I would enjoy War in Heaven much much more.... no idea what to expect, and that's what I like.
    This

I say war in heaven. Biblical talk > pirate talk.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Biblical Talk> Ninja> Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Biblical Talk> Ninja> Pirates
    Blasphemy, sir.

BTW, thanks for all the responses so far.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would prefer War in Heaven.
    Because then I can use these:

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PSII would be fun... I know what to now. But either way, I'll still talk like a pirate.

Blog Entries

You can still talk like a pirate in heaven, but you can't talk like an angel on a pirate ship.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Go with whatever inspires you most. If you're more interested in one over the other, your extra focus will make that one better. We'll all play either of them, regardless of which one you pick, so just pick the one you think would be the most fun.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

The Heaven scenario sounds like it would have some particularly epic write-ups... not that the Pirate Ship write-ups weren't awesome, but there's something about angels in battle armor with massive, unwieldy weapons and superhuman abilities that makes me want to drool...
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Go with whatever inspires you most. If you're more interested in one over the other, your extra focus will make that one better. We'll all play either of them, regardless of which one you pick, so just pick the one you think would be the most fun.
    [Secura Approves +10]

You'll get the signups no matter which one you pick GH, so ultimately it's up to you as the host; which one will you enjoy writing more?
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

War in Heaven - lots of material and possible innovation. Pirate Ship mafia was awesome, and has inspired me a bit, but I'd be far more interested in War in Heaven, just the thought of being an Angel before the fall makes me drool - the mere possibility of turning willingly would be awesome as well. The ultimate moral choice - support God and the established order, or side with Lucifer and prove that God's plan was flawed.

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Pirate ship mafia 2=Very good
    War in Heaven=Sounds even better

I leave it up to GH and what he thinks though...