Thread: Pike-like Marching Speeds

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Pike-like Marching Speeds

I was wondering if there was anyway to change the marching speeds of those pike-like units. A few examples I can quote are the pikemen, the French volguer and the Swiss halbiers. I click the button to take them out of that tight formation but the stlll march amazingly slow. By the time my army meets the enemy and has defeated them, these pike-like units are still marching and haven't even reached the battle lines yet. They might just be defensive units but I like to use them offensively as well if anything but for some variety in my armies. I didn't know if there was some simple stat that could be altered to affect this.
    Silence is beautiful

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Default Re: Pike-like Marching Speeds

IIRC, you could try and see the descriptions of those units in the EDU file then try and edit those speeds.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Great! Improving their marching speed would definately be a plus! I unpacked the files, do you know specifially which file to alter? If not I guess I can have a look in the modding forums. Thanks!
    Silence is beautiful

In pikemen's unit data there is a movement modifier of .7 IIRC. So you should be able to delete this and they will march fast. Just be sure to save the change.
    Also, the pikemen will march faster if you take shieldwall off; if they run into combat they will still be effective.

If you are going to go into modify their speed, I recommend that you also remove their secondary weapons so that they will continue to use their pikes.

The game will lose on reality, the pikes can't march with the speed of a normal infantry... The pike is a long and heavy weapon, in unbalances the soldier so you have to walk with it slowly.

I wouldn't want to do that. I guess such units are better on the defensive anyway. I usually take them out of pike formation when marching, but they are still very slow.
    Silence is beautiful

Where exactly is that EDU file? I'd love to edit some values :)

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

To gain access to the EDU files, you need to unpack the game with the tool provided with it (or with one of the patches... can't remember...).

Be advised that it is a lengthy process and disk-space consuming as well...

You could find more info in the modding forum here
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Well, when the pikemen cut and run they really can run and carry their pikes too!