Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: EBNOM official discussion thread

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Default Re: EB late campaign mod

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    The date we decide on is 80 BC.
    There is a potential civil war for Parthia that was between 89 BC 76 BC.
    It is possible to advance 4 more years

I think it would be better to put half of Parthia under rebels or as a different faction parthian rebels.
    Please read the quote, In fact I prefer 2 faction slots for Parthia if you have this luxury.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Mithridates II. probably died about B.C. 89, after a reign which must have exceeded thirty-five years. His great successes against the Scythians in the earlier portion of his reign were to some extent counterbalanced by his losses to Tigranes in his old age; but on the whole he must be regarded as one of the more vigorous and successful of the Parthian monarchs, and as combining courage with prudence. It is to his credit that he saw the advantage of establishing friendly relations with Rome at a time when an ordinary Oriental monarch might have despised the distant Republic, and have thought it beneath his dignity to make overtures to so strange and anomalous a power. Whether he definitely foresaw the part which Rome was about to play in the East, we may doubt; but at any rate he must have had a prevision that the part would not be trifling or insignificant. Of the private character of Mithridates we have no sufficient materials to judge. If it be true that he put his envoy, Orobazus, to death on account of his having allowed Sulla to assume a position at their conference derogatory to the dignity of the Parthian State, we must pronounce him a harsh master; but the tale, which rests wholly on the weak authority of the gossip-loving Plutarch, is perhaps scarcely to be accepted.

The successor of Mithridates II. is unknown. It has been argued, indeed, that the reigns of the known monarchs of this period would not be unduly long if we regarded them as strictly consecutive, and placed no blank between the death of Mithridates II. and the accession of the next Arsaces whose name has come down to us. Sanatrodoeces, it has been said, may have been, and may, therefore, well be regarded as, the successor of Mithridates. But the words of the epitomizer of Trogus, placed at the head of this chapter, forbid the acceptance of this theory. The epitomizer would not have spoken of "many kings" as intervening between Mithridates II. and Orodes, if the number had been only three. The expression implies, at least, four or five monarchs; and thus we have no choice but to suppose that the succession of the kings is here imperfect, and that at least one or two reigns were interposed between those of the second Mithridates and of the monarch known as Sanatroeces, Sinatroces, or Sintricus.

The dark time of Parthian history is terminated by the accession—probably in B.C. 76—of the king above mentioned as known by the three names of Sanatroeces, Sinatroces, and Sintricus. The form, Sanatroeces, which appears upon the Paithian coins, is on that account to be preferred. The king so called had reached when elected the advanced age of eighty. It may be suspected that he was a son of the sixth Arsaces (Mithridates I.), and consequently a brother of Phraates II. He had, perhaps, been made prisoner by that Scythians in the course of the disastrous war waged by that monarch, and had been retained in captivity for above fifty years. At any rate, he appears to have been indebted to the Scythians in some measure for the crown which he acquired so tardily, his enjoyment of it having been secured by the help of a contingent of troops furnished to him by the Scythian tribe of the Sacauracae.

Meanwhile the aged Sanatroeces died, and was succeeded by his son, Phraates III. This prince followed at first his father's example, and abstained from mixing himself up in the Mithridatic war; but in B.C. 66, being courted by both sides, and promised the restoration of the provinces lost to Tigranes, he made alliance with Pompey, and undertook, while the latter pressed the war against Mithridates, to find occupation for the Armenian monarch in his own land. This engagement he executed with fidelity. It had happened that the eldest living son of Tigranes, a prince bearing the same name as his father, having raised a rebellion in Armenia and been defeated, had taken refuge in Parthia with Phraates. Phraates determined to take advantage of this circumstance. The young Tigranes was supported by a party among his countrymen who wished to see a youthful monarch upon the throne; and Phraates therefore considered that he would best discharge his obligations to the Romans by fomenting this family quarrel, and lending a moderate support to the younger Tigranes against his father. He marched an army into Armenia in the interest of the young prince, overran the open country, and advanced on Artaxata, the capital. Tigranes, the king, fled at his approach, and betook himself to the neighboring mountains. Artaxata was invested; but as the siege promised to be long, the Parthian monarch after a time withdrew, leaving the pretender with as many troops as he thought necessary to press the siege to a successful issue. The result, however, disappointed his expectations. Scarcely was Phraates gone, when the old king fell upon his son, defeated him, and drove him beyond his borders. He was forced, however, soon afterwards, to submit to Pompey, who, while the civil war was raging in Armenia, had defeated Mithridates and driven him to take refuge in the Tauric Chersonese.

Keep on good work.

My Submods for EB
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

We want Sulla alive :). Parthia will be tricky, there's no doubt about it... Just post what you think on the Dev forum... We will pick it up there

@Gaius Sempronius Gracchus - Haha... That's good to hear that we have too much FM info haha
    You just post when you find something... It will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by anubis88; 08-03-2010 at 20:56.
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

How have I missed this amazing preview? I love it! The unit selection is excellent. And so is the text.

Keep up the good work.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=17769&dateline=1281031642

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    How have I missed this amazing preview? I love it! The unit selection is excellent. And so is the text.

Keep up the good work.
    You are far too kind you 14 posts sir;) I made the text in an hour or so, the in-game one should be much better. We will do them in the EB way, so once you'll read it you won't be able to resist starting playing a campaing and crush everyone in your path! hahahahaha

It means a lot to me that you guys like what you see. It's a sign we're heading in the right direction

Looking good. Thanks for the link anubis88, it was a good preview, and I guess those are new units for the mod.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    Looking good. Thanks for the link anubis88, it was a good preview, and I guess those are new units for the mod.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Some of those units are new, while some are already in EB. The specific Sertoriani units are new of course, while most of the Lusotannan ones retain their relevance. We plan on giving new units to every faction. Of course some factions will need more then others -
    For example;
    - Our new faction will get a completly new roster, complemented by some regionals that are alredy in EB.
    - Some of the old factions, like the Ptolemaic Empire, will get a completly new look; the Ptolemies for ones, have completly changed their armies from those of 272 BC. The Macedonian ways were almost dropped, and they started using different approaches to war.
    - On the other hand, some faction like the Aedui and Sarmatians (if included) would get very small changes to their roster - their armies fit very well in our time-frame.

Hey I made two Numidian units that you might want to include in your mod: Numidian heavy infantry (imitation legions) and Gaetuli infantry.
    DL here: http://www.multiupload.com/IVCE7R910U
    I hope that's helps.

I think it will be a better idea to use Alex for we will need more models that alexie give us.

My Submods for EB
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Atraphoenix View Post
    I think it will be a better idea to use Alex for we will need more models that alexie give us.
    Immortal FM, AI faction too defensive, no shield wall, no swimming, silly archer charging bug... more tendency towards elite spam...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    Immortal FM (done), AI faction too defensive (not with my mods :-), no shield wall(hardcoded), no swimming(I do not not swimming either), silly archer charging bug...(you mean HAs) more tendency towards elite spam...
    For elites just make campaigns to finish elite barracks, war is merciless so am I at war....

My Submods for EB

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Atraphoenix View Post
    For elites just make campaigns to finish elite barracks, war is merciless so am I at war....
    I've played with Alex EB for some pretty long time, before switching for BI to initially got the hording faction, but after that, I notice that EB-BI is far more stable and better than Alex-EB.... well I allready knew about how to manually fixing them and gave Alex EB descr_strat different AI personality to alter that, as making factions more hostile to each others (that helps a lot), the problem is, the original Alex-EB installer is ... *runs before maximus come in with gladius in his hand*

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by LDC View Post
    Hey I made two Numidian units that you might want to include in your mod: Numidian heavy infantry (imitation legions) and Gaetuli infantry.
    I hope that's helps.
    I'll take a look at them as soon as i'm on my home computer. If they are part of our plan, we will definetly use them.

Thanks!

I hope that's helps.
    LDC, I had some bug with opening it. Could be able to post a render of your models? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn MacCumhail View Post
    LDC, I had some bug with opening it. Could be able to post a render of your models? thanks.
    Try this: http://www.filefront.com/17203293/Numidians.7z

Use 7zip to open the file
    Last edited by LDC; 08-15-2010 at 14:14.

LDC, would you like to join us as a modeler and skinner? PM Anubis88 or gamegeek2 for the details

Indeed we are in dire need of skinners... You could also get plenty of new units after the release for a possible 3.0 Historical battles

Truth be told, I'm only a beginner, as in I can only modify existing models and skins, I can't create a completely new ones .
    I can work for you, but you'll have to know there is a limit to what I can do.
    If you need to modify units form EB, then I think I can help.

Also I'll be glad to create even more HB when the mod will be released.
    Last edited by LDC; 08-16-2010 at 01:08.

Truth be told, I'm only a beginner, as in I can only modify existing models and skins, I can't create a completely new ones .
    I can work for you, but you'll have to know there is a limit to what I can do.
    If you need to modify units form EB, then I think I can help.

Also I'll be glad to create even more HB when the mod will be released.
    As i'm not a skinner, i can't be certain of this, but i think plenty of our new units have basis on EB units, so i think you could be of great help to us. I'll tell Finn to contact you via PM, since he knows this things best.

He will also be able to tell you how much work is done on preexisting skins and models.

Cheers

As i'm not a skinner, i can't be certain of this, but i think plenty of our new units have basis on EB units, so i think you could be of great help to us. I'll tell Finn to contact you via PM, since he knows this things best.

He will also be able to tell you how much work is done on preexisting skins and models.

Cheers
    I'll be delighted to help you in any way I can

I'll be delighted to help you in any way I can
    Great to have you in! It seems our numbers are growing fast as we speak, which is a very good thing.

Welcome aboard!

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum : Novus Ordo Mundi

A preview of things (a preview?) to come... Any guess who these guys are?

Hasmonean cavalry? Or Nabatean cavalry...? I'd go more for the Hasmonean, because of their 'Hellenistic' look (the Nabateans having been influenced by the Parthians).. They look a little too armoured to be Numidian, but... what do I know?

They're wearing pants, so I would say definitely Eastern. From the helms I would say Assyrian maybe? Or Babylonian.

Well many Celtic peoples wore pants as well

One of you 2 is pretty close...

Hmmm...how could I miss that they are wearing pants? I'm going to plump for Nabatean cavalry then, or Mauretanian/Numidian?
    Last edited by Gaius Sempronius Gracchus; 08-18-2010 at 19:22.

This looks like it could be a fun mod. I await it eagerly.

Hmm, I think Pontus (my favourite EB faction pre 1.2) was about 6 EB provinces around the eastern Black Sea in 89BC. Had the Romans taken any chunks out of Pontus by 80BC, when this mod starts?
    Last edited by Morte66; 08-18-2010 at 21:24.

Fight like a meatgrinder

Quote Originally Posted by Morte66 View Post
    This looks like it could be a fun mod. I await it eagerly.

Hmm, I think Pontus (my favourite EB faction pre 1.2) was about 6 EB provinces around the eastern Black Sea in 89BC. Had the Romans taken any chunks out of Pontus by 80BC, when this mod starts?
    I'm not 100%, but after Sulla defeated Mithridates, the Pontic King had to return all the lands he had conquered once he started the war with Rome, but not the ones he gained before that, meaning Pontus will still have control of, like you said, around 6 provinces as the game begins. He would have, on the standard EB map at least the cities of Sinope, Amaseia, Trapezous, Kotais, Chersonesos, Pantipakaion and Olbia, which would be 7 cities on the EB map.

We are working on Pontus as we speak, so a preview could come relatively soon, altough one preview will come out sooner.

To elaborate a bit on Pontus, since you seem to like them;

Pontus was still very strong at this point in history. While Mithridates lost the first Mithridatic war, he easily won the second one, which regained much of the confidence of this kingdom, that has proven with this victory it's not ready to be defeated so easily. The Pontics will have access to many troops from around the black sea, and they should have one of the most unique and versatile roster of all the factions, and should be very interesting to play as.

Pontos also had as strong alliance with the powerfull king Tigranes the Great, and also made an alliance with the Roman rebel Quintus Sertorius a few years later, even planning how the lands should be divided after the two attack the Romans together.

I believe that Pontos will provide a great gameplaying experience.

Thanks for the kind words

@Gracchus

You are still close...

A preview of things (a preview?) to come... Any guess who these guys are?
    Gldgmtk.

Osroene cavalry?

Quote Originally Posted by intifadanyz View Post
    Gldgmtk.
    You have suspicusly accurate answers... These guys are indeed Late Numidian Nobles; expect to see more soon :)

@Gracchus
    You've mentioned that they are too armoured to be Numidians, however the Numidians became more and more "romanised", and started using heavier armour, with them being so close to Rome.
    Last edited by anubis88; 08-18-2010 at 21:56.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast