Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Hegemony - Philip of Macedon" Game

Default Re: "Hegemony - Philip of Macedon" Game

Bought, about to play it.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Do not walk into Thrace.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

The game is really fun, and kind of difficult at times.

The Creator of Stories Member Parallel Pain's Avatar

Bought and played. The original is quite hard because it seems there's no manpower limitation on the AI and no way of declaring peace (the latter is even said so in the game manual -_-|||). So you have to garrison every frontier with at least a good size force of two or three units, while the AI's city garrison could easily reach twice or even three times that. In fact it's so hard I gave up on both of my campaigns because Gold is out.

Game interface and command system could be improved I think. Slightly hard to place units where you want them.

The actual battle micro AI is left to be desired. If you get to form up in a standard battle formation and is not too heavily outnumbered it is usually easy victory. Though battles often become disorganized, so losses are still not a rare thing, which is a good break from TW.
    The macro AI seems pretty good, attacking when you're weak, making it challenging.

Defiantly the best party is the logistics system and food supply. In the heat of a campaign it is quite easy to forget to watch your food supply and make detours for food, leading to depletion of morale. Twice I've lost my entire army besieging a city when the AI simply waited for me to run out of food and then attacked and instant routed my troops despite me having better and more experienced troops.

Just tried out Gold. The new cavalry charge and flanking systems are nice. Though I have yet found a reason to actually switch unit formation (probably because like TW formation effects are based on attrition battle and not psychology) It doesn't look like terrain effects battles other than chokepoints, though unlike TW chokes could be quite easily broken through by a much superior force (which is actually true). But still I wish there were hills and streams and woods that we could maneuver and use to our advantage.

The new city manpower instead of global manpower and replacement system via supply lines is a really nice touch that makes both logistics line and manpower even more important. Income easily supply an upper ceiling for troop numbers (and keeps the original version that you'd always be stretching your garrisons thin if you want to attack) and pro-longed combat can really have a devastating effect on your manpower. Now if only manpower also effected income it'd be great.

Though personally I think you shouldn't be able to change the home city of a unit to a city not of the home culture. IE Thessalonian Cavalry should not be able to draw replacement from Macedonian city, and Phalanx couldn't draw replacements from Illyrians.

However overall it is definitely a very fun game. Recommended.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is thread is turning into a discussion of the game, so I am merging it with the other Hegemony thread in the Arena.

Threads merged.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, its on sale on steam right now, 3 USD.

Though from some posts, is it not as good as the gold version? (Which steam doesnt seem to sell)

Is it worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Even non-gold is worth $3. I'm not sure what will happen if you get that version though (at least in terms of getting gold or not getting it).

Blog Entries

Anyone reading this: You buy it, and you buy it now.

Gold is like the expansion pack, and will cost $10 to upgrade to (instead of the $30 at retail).

The gold version is in beta, and you dont get access, but I've played like 20 minutes so far, and already I can tell this is definately worth $3.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You get access, or I did when I bought it from Steam. You register your code on their website unless it is disabled now.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Ended on the 19th.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

$10 to upgrade your $3 copy is also a steal! I can't wait for Longbow's next project.

just found this thought i was worth the bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_DeSC2vxf8

exciting

also i know its a bit old but to all the people who were complaining a little about the whole whack a mole thing, and how the game can be quite difficult with the harassing AI.

the fact of the matter is that is what it was like at the time of Phillips Rise to power. macedon had little to no army left and the enemies were everywhere. i will admit tho it would be nice if people would stay down once u beat them :P
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Hegemony Gold is now available on steam.

If you've already purchased Gold directly from Longbow Games, you can activate your key on steam to receive a copy there. I did that earlier today and can confirm it works.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123