Thread: Trackers

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Trackers

I'm using Ghostery (http://www.ghostery.com/) and notice up to eleven trackers active on one .org page. Why are there so many? The four showing now are 1) Facebook connect 2) Microsoft Atlas 3) Quantcast and 4) Doubleclick.

While not I'm experiencing page load hangups any more I'm curious as to why there are so many.

Thanks.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Re: Trackers

Hello Vladimir,

The Facebook one is part of the current button at the top to integrate with Facebook.

The other trackers are part of the bannercampaigns to keep this site running, servers cost money. I've been looking for servers in the past for another domain. Shared deals of say $4 monthly are not suited for what we need here. Then the deals quickly jump to something else costing $99 monthly. Comparing the specs of what's offered then and what is used here, I can safely say that we'll have to climb the ladder even more. I'm not too sure where it will stop then, several 100's at least. And then it would also require a lot more knowledge and time to keep it actually running, for now the gamenetwork takes care of all that hard stuff.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Thank you.

My primary concern is that some of these trackers are security concerns. A lesser concern is that they may affect page loads decreasing traffic. I'm satisfied as long as the security risk is minimized.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello Vladimir,

Do you mean that there are trackers which pose security issues, or that such trackers are actually used here?
    Ja mata

TosaInu