Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: So what would you like to see in S2TW?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So what would you like to see in S2TW?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but.... NO STEAM!!!!
    Didn't they already confirm steam?

I got sick of the steam vs anti steam argument back at the launch of ETW. I really don't want another one in every thread. If it starts, maybe we should have a thread solely for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I got sick of the steam vs anti steam argument back at the launch of ETW. I really don't want another one in every thread. If it starts, maybe we should have a thread solely for it?
    It's on topic with "So what would you like to see in S2TW?". Just ignore, and do not respond to the "anti-steam" or "pro-steam" posts if they annoy you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lechev View Post
    The following are my wish-list :-

1) A 3D map of feudal japan which shows all the provinces (see attached link )
    http://http://www.maproom.org/00/05/sub1/1.html

2) Recruitable ronins and an option for those conqured fractions' general be either executed or released to become ronins if they refuse to serve their new lord.
    3) Ikko Ikki uprising especially around the regions from the province of Kaga.
    4) Options to choose heir
    5) Better market access to arquebus ( and price ) and western naval techology if the fraction leader is a Christian himself or welcome Jesuit priests in his dormain
    6) Political marriage carry a certain weightage to the leader's prestage and honour. Breaking such alliance will affect the leader's political credibilities
    7) No legendary Geisha units ( please! )
    8) To capture Kyoto ( and remain captured for a number of turns ) as one of the main criteria to win the game. Other fractions during this time will either declare war openly of form coalitions.

My list is not complete, maybe you guys have a better idea?
    I agree on the Ronin. All provinces should be ruled by a clan. Ronin were really Samurai that lost their lands when their side lost a strategic battle. Not really the same as European mercenaries, but similar.

As to the Ikko Ikki uprising -- uprisings in general should be a much greater risk when taxes are high, the daimyo dies, a battle of a certain size takes place, garrisons are weak, etc.

Rather than options to choose an heir -- I would prefer to see the actual leaders not necessarily die on the field of battle -- even if their province is lost. Often even losing the battle, the leader would remain with reduced wealth after submitting to the other leader. Not quite a European vassalage, but close. On a related note, I would like to see more clan members appear as generals and in the line of succession. Also related -- a provincial governor for each province. It can be a clan member, a submitted clan leader, or even a samurai that has served the clan with distinction.

I agree the Geisha was a bit of cheese. I hope the heros are not simply a single man taking on the world either. Give us a hero that leads a unit and has a moral and honor modifier when in command.

As to victory conditions -- I hope the elimination of all clans is gone. Let submission be the criteria. If all the Daimyos submit to a clan leader, he becomes the new Shogun.

Another aspect I would like to see is a seperation of the religious temple warriors from the province military. If we no longer have the risk styled map, we can have more interplay between the religious temple soldiers, the provincial government, and the castle towns. This means that factions can split. This means that uprisings can grow quickly if the temple throws its weight behind the lower class samurai or the provincial governor.

Give me castles, castle towns (town outside the castle walls), merchant towns (with ports), and more population centers within the provinces.

I would also like to see coalition leadership break during a battle with a unit(s) changing sides.
    Last edited by Viking Prince; 06-26-2010 at 02:31. Reason: did not finish

Would you expect less from a Viking?

This post got a bit large but I hope you’ll be able to get through it 

1. That every province is occupied by Clan from the start is a dead given. This I do not however hold much hope for since I'm convinced that the game will be more or less a re-make of Shogun in this regard. Although if I'm proved wrong in this I will be happy like a little girl.

2. Better naval technology for Christians I also agree with. I also hope that at least some ships will feathure sails, and more importantly guns, as it goes.

3. I totally agree that you shouldn't need to physically conquer 100% of Japan, but that submission should be enough. And that the AI would be less "fight to the death!" in every situation, but rather submit himself, and maybe raise a rebellion later. I think this would also be a somewhat good idea for multiplayer as well since it would add more dimensions, and also not give the winner a reason NOT to simple exterminate every faction/player he can.

4. Geisha wasn't something that I was really that angry about, although perhaps make them somewhat less über. Maybe simply have them as an agent that can't be killed by spies in cities etc. but can only die at the hands of a ninja or other geisha due to, maybe, "the protocol that you aren’t socially allowed violence against a geisha".

5. Since we're having it small in a small area I to would like to be able to see both a regional capital and outlying castles and towns around it that can be conquered/raided or defended. The ability to construct real castles, not just camps, on the strategic map is something that I would really like to see.

6. To be able to take a look at the tactical map when you are standing on the strategic map. This would make it possible to check how the ground where you are, before the tactical battle begins.

7. Something that I would like to see would to get away from the 20/16 unite limits on armies. These limits are ok on the tactical maps, but I somewhat miss the great battles from Shogun and Medival 1, when there would be wave after wave of troops entering the field. Why not keep this effect, and more or less make armies be able to be as large as they want? As unites gets wiped out or flees, new reserves are brought in. Naturally huge armies would be very slow and so would give smaller armies the opportunity to more or less run around their enemies on the strategic map. Another problem this could solve is that I find that the AI is often rather easily beaten, especially in sieges, and so the opportunity to call in more waves might give it some stamina, rather than having a bunch of stacks running around with piecemeal attacks on you.

8. That the game can be modded and modding tools are released. I’m pretty certain it’s already been said this won’t be the case, but I’d still like to see it happen and you never know for sure.

9. Good diplomacy, and the ability to interact with your allies and vassals as well, maybe getting the opportunity to attach their unites to your own armies, and reversed. If submission would be possible it would be great if the AI vassals will possess more brain than half a strawberry and not rebel “just for the hell of it!” (unless you’re a real asshole of an overlord, of course).

10. That the non-Buddhist cults and mythologies of Japan aren’t forgotten in favor of only Buddhism. While Buddhism should of course be mentioned due to its importance in the period, and that such temples and monasteries should be constructible, I think that shrines devoted to various Kami should also be available. Maybe also some reference towards the syncretism between indigenous Japanese cults and mythology with the Buddhism would be played up.

The prospect of a religious dimension to the war between Christianity and Buddhism-Shinto (I use the term Shinto as a gathering term for the cults and mythology around the Kami in this post) would be very interesting, as well as various Buddhist schools if possible. Hopefully this would come with an extensive building tree regarding religious buildings that could be constructed, ranging from missionary stations for the Christians to Cathedrals and from smaller shrines of the Buddhists-Shinto to massive fortress-monasteries. In short I’m hoping for a lot of depth into the religion-part of the game. Traits and ancillaries are also of course something that I dearly would like to se.

11. An expansion over into the Imjin War http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imjin_War. This could either be a separate campaign or that when you have taken over Japan, or at some set time like 1590, the map opens up with the Korean peninsula and a Korean faction that is aided by a stream of Chinese troops from across the border to the north when the war begins.
    Last edited by Gurkhal; 06-26-2010 at 08:37. Reason: Needed to add something.

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkhal View Post
    This post got a bit large but I hope you’ll be able to get through it 

2. Better naval technology for Christians I also agree with. I also hope that at least some ships will feathure sails, and more importantly guns, as it goes.

5. Since we're having it small in a small area I to would like to be able to see both a regional capital and outlying castles and towns around it that can be conquered/raided or defended. The ability to construct real castles, not just camps, on the strategic map is something that I would really like to see.

7. Something that I would like to see would to get away from the 20/16 unite limits on armies. These limits are ok on the tactical maps, but I somewhat miss the great battles from Shogun and Medival 1, when there would be wave after wave of troops entering the field. Why not keep this effect, and more or less make armies be able to be as large as they want? As unites gets wiped out or flees, new reserves are brought in. Naturally huge armies would be very slow and so would give smaller armies the opportunity to more or less run around their enemies on the strategic map. Another problem this could solve is that I find that the AI is often rather easily beaten, especially in sieges, and so the opportunity to call in more waves might give it some stamina, rather than having a bunch of stacks running around with piecemeal attacks on you.
    I agree with your other ideas.

I must admit that I am not interested in the more sophisticated naval battles. I'd actually like to have the option of going back to the simple autocalc, and focus on the land battles. I do hope to be pleasantly surprised by the naval combat, but don't expect it.

The problem with having heaps of outlying towns and such which can be captured is that the AI will likely send an endless stream of 2 unit armies to pillage them, which is just a complete waste of time. Perhaps only provinces with historically important natural or human resources or strategic locations could have a proportionate number of extra towns/farms/mines/castles/ports. So a province with no important resources should have only the "capital" castle/town, and most provinces will only have between 0 and 2 extra places. That way the number of extra things you have to defend is more limited. In ETW the hordes of tiny armies running around ever single turn doing exactly the same thing and getting killed off in exactly the same way was just infuriating. The number of times I fought exactly the same battle in exactly the same place against exactly the same opposition who did exactly the same thing and got massacred in exactly the same way.... all that frustration and wasted hours!

Ideally I would like the AI to be smarter, and thus on higher difficulties it would need less "bonus resources" to build massive armies with in order to be competitive. But previous experience suggests otherwise, though I can hope.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

mod support.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Custom Samurai Armour editor

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|R|AntiWarmanCake88 View Post
    Custom Samurai Armour editor
    Not if that samurai in the awesome, custom armour is going to be dumb as a stick.
    This space intentionally left blank

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

What i'd really, really love to see shipped with S2TW is: new patches for the original STW and MTW to make them playable (reliably) on modern machines.

I'm looking forward to S2 immensely, but still i'd love CA to do this - maybe as a gift for all of us who've supported them from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Didn't they already confirm steam?

If you think it's bad here, check civfanatics. Almost every thread is either a Steam whine or by people whose self-esteem is wholly based on if their country is included in the game as a civ. I got completely sick of that forum.

A decent AI is of course on the wishlist since the very first iteration of the game.

But the thing I'd like to be reassured about is the dynamics of the fight. I still have nightmare about the lethargic and ridiculous MTW2 fights, with slow, ponderous and apathetic movements, cavalry charges that barely make a soldier move, and unit clashes that resulted in five duels in the middle and hundred of men nicely waiting for their turn.
    Especially afraid they do the same crap again as the lack of moddability makes it dubious it'll be possible to correct it if it happens.
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345