Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castle Sieges

Default Re: Castle Sieges

I think waiting to launch your siege was still beneficial in later games. But I can't remember. More often than not I launched it sooner rather than later to get rid of the defenders quicker.... XD

Typically in MTW and STW I just waited till the enemy defenders couldn't hold it anymore. :D
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Alexsandr View Post
    Typically in MTW and STW I just waited till the enemy defenders couldn't hold it anymore. :D
    Devious, waiting until your enemies were in the loo.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Can we pile up firewood around it and have a Ikko-BBQ?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

i wnat kite bombs damnit!

"Ooh! look, they're flying kites!"
    "yeah, so pretty. weird design though..."
    "WHAT THE F-"
    *burning city*
    :P
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    A man just can't fight like that..... XD

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

No, you need to use the dunny chutes to infiltrate the castle, and don't want them to be used during that time!
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    Brilliant!
    This space intentionally left blank

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Alexsandr View Post
    A man just can't fight like that..... XD
    I remember reading of how David Lowry, a modern-day kenjutsu sensei, first became aware of kenjutsu and began his education. He was at his teacher's house and had to go to the bathroom. While sitting on the pot, his sensei came in, looked at him, told him that he wasn't sitting correctly, and showed him how to sit properly on the toilet while still maintaining zanshin. He emphasized how many great warriors of old were slain because of carelessness while bathing or relieving themselves.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I remember reading of how David Lowry, a modern-day kenjutsu sensei, first became aware of kenjutsu and began his education. He was at his teacher's house and had to go to the bathroom. While sitting on the pot, his sensei came in, looked at him, told him that he wasn't sitting correctly, and showed him how to sit properly on the toilet while still maintaining zanshin. He emphasized how many great warriors of old were slain because of carelessness while bathing or relieving themselves.
    That's pretty interesting. XD I was just joking but you have a point.

I believe Yoshitomo Minnamoto, father or Yoritomo Minnamoto and Yoshitsune Minnamoto was killed during his bath.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a game based in a historic period. I accept that thousands of soldiers dying every 6 months isn't realistic, nor would the constant recruitment drives in all provinces.

Dynasties will be risk averse as loosing is much worse than potential gains. Playing a game of "who blinks first" isn't fun. In STW I enjoyed playing with Peasant-only armies - sure the losses were horrendous, and unrealistic but amusing nevertheless.

That is not to say that sieges couldn't be made more interesting, but I still agree that pitched battles are a large part of the game. I think that game mechanics should be tweaked to increase their incidence rather than avoiding them.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

In the original STW, castles (especially in the early game) severely limited the number of troops you could fit inside them. As a result, it was often to the defender's benefit to enage the enemy in the field with a large army, rather than try to hold the castle with a handful of units against a large invading force.

It's probably not historically accurate, but it did keep sieges to a minimum IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by General Malaise View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Shogun: Total War doesn’t include the battles that arose from siege warfare because
    the long, slow business of laying siege to a castle doesn’t make a very exciting game.
    Sieges are covered in the strategic game in a straightforward fashion so that you don’t
    have to worry about the details. Siege warfare was often neither heroic nor dramatic.

In fact, most of the time it was a fairly squalid affair. If you want to imagine what a
    siege would have been like, think the most overcrowded camping holiday you’ve ever
    had or heard about, with utterly dreadful food, no toilets, no reliable fresh water,
    constant bad weather, no chance to wash for weeks on end and no chance to move
    somewhere more interesting. Now add in random bouts of illness (caused by the
    food, bad water, bad weather, lack of hygiene and overcrowding) and random
    episodes of small-scale violence when the people you are besieging try to kill you or
    you try to break in and kill them.

Of course, none of the intricacies (and boredom) of siege warfare mattered on many
    occasions.
    At Osaka in 1615, for example (and at other sieges), the troops inside the
    castle left the protection of the walls to fight it out with the enemy on an open
    battlefield. Sometimes this was a good move, breaking the siege in one climactic
    action. At other times, such as Osaka Castle, it simply meant the defenders were cut
    down outside the walls rather than being starved or slaughtered within them."
    - from STW1's The Way of the Daimyo manual
    You know, that's something else I liked about the original Shogun. A nice, thick, physical MANUAL. Not a mere leaflet. I think STW is the last game I bought that came in a proper box, and I really miss those.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12