Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroes

TW Modder Since 2005 Member DaVinci's Avatar

Default Heroes

I mean the heroes described in the previews as fantasy units which can hold vs. a whole army.

Who wants this ?
    Not me.
    (I know such total fantasy is popular in the asian lands though).

Would be nice if CA can make it possible to have those fantasy contents optionally.
    However, those units, if the game is properly moddable, will be the first thing what i'll change.

How are the opinions here about those heroes?
    Last edited by DaVinci; 06-16-2010 at 00:16.
    TWC Wiki: List of TW Modding Contributions 2005-2011
    Release 12.2012: Third Age TW Realism+
    Release 04.2013: Rise of the Samurai Realism+

Support: Greenpeace
    LIVING ...WITH... WAR
    What's really more disappointing than dis-information and non-education?
    A certain degree of intentional ignorance paired with obvious stupidy /DV

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Heroes

From what I gathered, they act like Spartan hoplites: able to hold a bridge against anything, but surrounded they're boned. And unlike Spartans, they don't stand up to arrows like Godzilla stands up to tank shells.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I like the idea of heroes. I hope the arise similar to the swordsman event in the original STW. Or perhaps as a man of the hour event in RTW and M2TW but instead of a general he can be of a samurai in a specific foot unit, never ashigaru! I hope they are not spawned like diplomatic pieces in ETW and NTW! :P Also, not too many per campaign, you woulnd't want an entire army made up of heroes! It might be fun to use them in combat and level them up accordingly. Like stated in the above, non immortal pieces that must be used carefully in case they might die. Hopefully they are vulnerable to fatigue, weather and on a lesser extent, morale, this, and with what has been learned from press write-ups might make the hero unit not as frown worthy as the kensai of STW. I always liked the kensai though. Except for the fact that he was 3 times larger than the rest of the samurai!
    Silence is beautiful

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it seems like Heroes would be extremely rare and valuable, like a First Rate in the time ETW took place (but not in ETW )

I heard the hero characters are attached to a unit. So now it's like a famous samurai and his elite troops. (Yoshitsune Minamoto and his small but elite cavalrymen. :D)

So it'll be better than the old Kensai. They're also supposed to be authentic people this time. :D Mushashi Miyamoto, Tadakatsu Honda, Inei Hozoin, Masamune Date, Yukimura Sanada... guys like this I'm thinking.... XD

I'm still not fond of super units, but I'll wait to I see how it's implemented I think. If my army is routed just because a hero was in the enemy army though..... I won't be happy. XD
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I mean the heroes described in the previews as fantasy units which can hold vs. a whole army.

Who wants this ?
    Not me.
    (I know such total fantasy is popular in the asian lands though).

Would be nice if CA can make it possible to have those fantasy contents optionally.
    However, those units, if the game is properly moddable, will be the first thing what i'll change.

How are the opinions here about those heroes?
    no no no...
    Samurais oftenly fight with their army (except Mushashi Miyamoto, he's a lone warrior) so adding people like that being heroes is somewhat, pointless
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Alexsandr View Post
    I heard the hero characters are attached to a unit. So now it's like a famous samurai and his elite troops. (Yoshitsune Minamoto and his small but elite cavalrymen. :D)
    CA copying off another game? (King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame)

I don't know what to make of them. Will have to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I remember not being able to find my sword saint in a melee.

(Hi pever.)

Perhaps a small band of bodyguardlike followers would be good for hero units. They could also perhaps be uniquely decorated with striking armor and the like such that they are more easily recognizable on the battlefield.
    Silence is beautiful

Clearly, you guys have forgotten what it was like to fight a 7-9 star Byzantine general in MTW1.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    Clearly, you guys have forgotten what it was like to fight a 7-9 star Byzantine general in MTW1.
    Oh, God. I used to make a point of bribing/assassinating generals just so I don't have to pack enough men around them so they don't run away.

Ha ha, that and some varangians in his army too! Seriously, if vulnerable to flanking and arrow fire (unlike kensai) it might not be such a immortal unit. I don't know about armor upgrades and the like and what they will do to his defense bonuses though. Armor didn't seem to make a great difference when guns, arrows and crossbow bolts were fired upon bodyguard units in
    M2TW. Though I do remember a battle where my arquebus got two volleys off on a mongol general and failed to kill one of them! M2TW might not be the best example however.
    Silence is beautiful

My thoughts as soon as I heard the complaining start.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Lol. Oh yeah.... That was bad. Those guys were invincible! XD As Russia my Boyar were not quite a match for those guys. Byzantine generals, kings, and heroes were a nightmare to fight. XD

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

I don't like this idea. Total War are startegy series, not RPG.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Ninja all of them yourself then. -_-'

I wonder if they will be attach/detatch or just a special unit?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Louise Assurbanipal View Post
    I don't like this idea. Total War are startegy series, not RPG.
    I disagree. Some RPG elements add immersion and foster attachment to the characters. I think that if heroes are used sparingly and are not too uber then their addition will add a bit more spice to the procedings.

Heck, the most hard core WWII boardgame - Advanced Squad Leader - had hero generation under certain circumstances. Heroes are cool - AND fun.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Blog Entries

Depends how deep the RPG goes.

You could argue that V&V are already RPG. Or you could go and draw the line and say stuff that deviates too far from the hardcore RPG genre is not RPG...

Say the hero units in Warcraft 3. RPG element in an RTS or not?

Those invincible Kataphraktoi generals were tough. XD You had to shoot from the front, right, left, and behind. XD And then maybe send in some infantry. Allow a hour or so and you get 1 dead Byzantine Emperor. XD

But the Sengoku is an appropriate age for heroes. Musashi Miyamoto, Tadakatsu Honda, Murashige Tachibana. Tough guys.... XD As long as they're not like the old kata-tanks or the Kensai from STW 1 then we should be okay.....

I know this could go horribly wrong..... but there were a lot of famous heroes in the Sengoku. XD And maybe it'll be okay?

Well we'll have to see when it comes out.

Yeah, the old Byzantine jedis were really tough. I generally surrounded them with spears and sometimes had my archers just fire on them, even sacrificing some of my troops as well. Then I'd crank up the speed really high until they die. Hopefully, STW2's heroes won't be that insane.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Depends how deep the RPG goes.

You could argue that V&V are already RPG. Or you could go and draw the line and say stuff that deviates too far from the hardcore RPG genre is not RPG...

Say the hero units in Warcraft 3. RPG element in an RTS or not?
    Any word on a return of the family tree?

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    Any word on a return of the family tree?
    Did Shogun have a family tree? I really cannot recall.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Shogun did not have a family tree. But it did inform you of the princes ages. (As for recording who their mother, brother, or cousins, etc.... it didn't do that.)

TW Modder Since 2005 Member DaVinci's Avatar

I referred to this article http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1093664p1.html, which gives a good roundup of the upcoming S2TW, and i like it.

I have sceptic thoughts about the last paragraph of the 1st page about the heroes:
    One particularly novel development is the introduction of hero units. These are warriors who have perfected a fighting art and can carve their way through enemy armies without much trouble at all. Based on mythologized historical figures like the warrior monk Benkei, hero units are a nearly unstoppable force on the battlefield, capable of holding bridge crossings against entire armies, or smashing through a battle line to engage the enemy general. You can counter heroes with the right tactics, such as filling them full of arrows, or by having your own hero units engage them in duels. The development team may even consider letting players use political manipulation to sway heroes away from each other.
    Ie. the bold part, it'll offer clearly that the player (in SP) can exploit the AI a lot (for MP this is a complete other case).
    While i like strong unique warrior (-units) of course, and it is also pretty realistic - but in this article this part sounds like a martial arts / fantasy movie content, and i hope S2TW won't be a satisfaction-game for the asian market, where exactly this is a common gameplay, just by concept a heroes game.
    Naturally the player will focus on such units, and how will the AI compete with that? ... i'm tensed how CA will present/provide such contents.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 06-18-2010 at 00:16.
    TWC Wiki: List of TW Modding Contributions 2005-2011
    Release 12.2012: Third Age TW Realism+
    Release 04.2013: Rise of the Samurai Realism+

Support: Greenpeace
    LIVING ...WITH... WAR
    What's really more disappointing than dis-information and non-education?
    A certain degree of intentional ignorance paired with obvious stupidy /DV

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I referred to this article http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1093664p1.html, which gives a good roundup of the upcoming S2TW, and i like it.

I have sceptic thoughts about the last paragraph of the 1st page about the heroes:

Ie. the bold part, it'll offer clearly that the player (in SP) can exploit the AI a lot (for MP this is a complete other case).
    While i like strong unique warrior (-units) of course, and it is also pretty realistic - but in this article this part sounds like a martial arts / fantasy movie content, and i hope S2TW won't be a satisfaction-game for the asian market, where exactly this is a common gameplay, just by concept a heroes game.
    Naturally the player will focus on such units, and how will the AI compete with that? ... i'm tensed how CA will present/provide such contents.
    I put that down to the hackneyed style of games journalists.

I like to think with all the complaints over the years about overpowered generals and the unrealisticness of kensai and the like that CA wouldn't make the same mistake in this 'going back to it's roots' STW2 game. I could be wrong though.
    Silence is beautiful

Well they're certainly going to be more powerful... but just how much matters. Cause a little is reasonable, and in the past they have made super humans.... (Sigh.) XD

Katatanks, and Jedi, and Kensai. My bro one time fought historic Nur Al-Din in MTW 1 and had to fight him across the entire battlefield. He wasn't even cavalry, he was just a spear unit guy. XD

Blog Entries

I'd wait for official word on this one, really.

quadalpha: I remember your name but thats pretty much it.

I've got the same level of info as everyone else at this stage. Hopefully they do another live Q&A, guess I'd take up that responsibility again.

A hero would be powerful enough for me if I could just add him to a unit and thus increase that unit’s experience one level.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    A hero would be powerful enough for me if I could just add him to a unit and thus increase that unit’s experience one level.
    C'mon man - that approach is for wimps.

I want:
    - Hero unit to consist of ONE man - the HERO
    - His mere presence on the battlefield will force peasants to route, samurai to quake and warrior monks to burn incense
    - His sword should be LOOOONG and his B@lls HUGE

In short, give me UBER or don’t even bother.

;)
    "Après moi le déluge"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast