Thread: Rome not reading from extracted Folders ?

Default Rome not reading from extracted Folders ?

Hey guys,

I am in the process of replacing some of the Music for RomeTW-vanilla 1.6 gold edition and have ran into a problem.

First i used IDX Extractor to extract the Music, SFX, Voice folders, when this happened they got extracted to : C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data\sounds\data\sounds this diden't seem right to me, as the Descr_sounds_music.txt file path is folder data/sounds/music.

So logic tells me the correct directory should just be : C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data\sounds So i copied all the extracted folders to that directory, then i added a custom Mp3 into Music and named it Tally-ho it is of course in mp3 format.

Then made the appropriate changes in Descr_sounds_music.txt the changes were :

state MUSIC_PREBATTLE_SCROLL
    event fadeout 0
    folder data/sounds/music
    Tally-ho.mp3

Originally CampaignBattle1-Time_2_Kill.mp3 i thought this would make the game look for my Tally-ho.mp3 instead, but when i test it in-game it still plays the original, presumably from the IDX archives.

I have been doing some research and the only information on the subject was suggesting i Rename the Original archive files, in this case the Music archive so the game does not recognize them. But i am hesitant to try that, i was hoping there was a switch somewhere to make the game read from extracted data instead of the originals.

Any idea what the problem or solution might be ?

Default Re: Rome not reading from extracted Folders ?

Damn! i came this close to posting in the right section this time. Apologies :)

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Yes, you need to delete or rename events.dat or any changes to the sound files won't be experienced in game.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Yes, you need to delete or rename events.dat or any changes to the sound files won't be experienced in game.
    Oh joy! Thank you very much, this has saved me much time, it could of saved me 14 failed test results and 3 crashes had i been smart enough to figure it out myself. :)

Sorry to be a pest, but i have another little issue ... i know it diden't take me long to run into more trouble did it.

I am now actually adding additional music to the Campaign map under ARABIC section for an eastern faction. However i cannot get the music to play in-game, i presume there is a different method for Adding tracks as opposed to replacing them as the above replacement worked fine.

The CAMPMAP playlist looks like this :

state MUSIC_STRATMAP_SUMMER
    event delay 5 volume -40
    folder data/sounds/music
    Dry_Well.mp3
    Campaign1-Autumn.mp3
    Campaign2-Melancholy.mp3
    Campaign4-Lonely_Strategos.mp3
    Campaign5-Arabic_Winter.mp3
    Campaign6-Arabic_Summer.mp3
    Intro_Egyptian.mp3
    Intro_Carthage.mp3

Dry_well.mp3 being the additional track, i placed it first in the playlist for testing purposes. When i tested it in-game it played Campaign1-Autumn.mp3 so it seems it doesen't like my song at all.

I notice the original campaign tracks all have a Campaign prefix and was wondering if i need to assign a prefix to all tracks i wish to add respective to their state, or do these tracks get referenced by another file for correct parameters ?

The only thing i could see was in the state MUSIC_CREDITS2 section which uses a list of all tracks, do i need to add my custom tracks in their for indexing or something ?

It has to do with the way your saving the mp3 (e.g. bit rates, etc). For RTW to read the mp3 they have to have certain settings when saved but I can't remember what they are. Dig around in the modding questions forum or the scriptorium and I think there's something there that will help you.

I have been trying a few different things, none of which seem to be working.

Something that boggles my mind is i removed all tracks but 1 (my custom track) in Descr_sounds_music.txt in the following sections.

******* ARABIC********

ulture carthaginian, greek, egyptian, eastern

;;; CAMPMAP

state MUSIC_STRATMAP_SUMMER
    event delay 5 volume -40
    folder data/sounds/music
    Dry_Well.mp3

culture greek
    event streamed volume -35
    folder data/sounds/music
    Dry_Well.mp3

culture eastern
    event streamed volume -35
    folder data/sounds/music
    Dry_Well.mp3

But still its playing the original music i am baffled as to how the game is deciding to play the original tracks.

I am testing this with a Seleucid campaign, surely those sections are appropriate for my faction.

Oh hey, i just saw your reply then after i posted that.

Thanks i'll compare bit rates now and adjust then accordingly, however i think i have a bigger issue at hand .. see above post lol.

I just compared bit rates and they are identical to the Original Mp3's 192 kbps @ 44 khz.

The track that i placed the orginal with that is working is from the same source as the Dry_well.mp3 and has identical stats, so i think we can rule out the file properties as an issue. :)

I guess there's only one more avenue to explore which confusingly is to add my track in the Roman and Barbarian faction sections.

I don't see why there are different culture sections and playlists as the game seems to be paying no attention to them.

Hopefully it is something else that i have overlooked, this is confusing the hell out of me.

Maybe i should of paid more attention in history class. Seleucid is actually Roman!!

Added track in Roman Music section and bingo works!!

Trust it to be the absolute last thing i try to be the solution.

Thanks much for your help Squid.

You must be playing EB then, make sure you check expanded_bi.txt to see which faction is represented by which internal faction tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    You must be playing EB then, make sure you check expanded_bi.txt to see which faction is represented by which internal faction tag.

Funny you should mention that, i did have EB installed at one stage, but uninstalled it shortly after. Something tells me you can't get rid of EB that easily?

I uninstalled it though add/remove programs properly without a hitch and deleted the remaining folder in Romes root directory, now you have said that i fear there are remnants of EB still floating about in my game files, if this is correct i have infact been playing a Vanilla/EB hybrid the whole time lol.

I found 2 files by that name in these directories:

C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data\text
    C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\BI\data\text

Not exactly sure what i'm looking at here, in each of them it looks like this :

¬ Faction Names
    {ROMANS_JULII} The House of Julii
    {ROMANS_BRUTII} The House of Brutii
    {ROMANS_SCIPII} The House of Scipii
    {ROMANS_SENATE} S.P.Q.R.
    {MACEDON} Macedon
    {EGYPT} Egypt
    {SELEUCID} The Seleucid Empire
    {CARTHAGE} Carthage
    {PARTHIA} Parthia
    {PONTUS} Pontus
    {GAULS} Gaul
    {GERMANS} Germania
    {BRITONS} Britannia
    {ARMENIA} Armenia
    {DACIA} Dacia
    {GREEK_CITIES} The Greek Cities
    {NUMIDIA} Numidia
    {SCYTHIA} Scythia
    {SPAIN} Spain
    {THRACE} Thrace
    {SLAVE} Rebels
    {ALEMANNI} Alemanni
    {EMPIRE_EAST} Roman (Eastern Empire)
    {EMPIRE_WEST} Roman (Western Empire)
    {EMPIRE_EAST_REBELS} Roman (Eastern Empire Rebels)
    {EMPIRE_WEST_REBELS} Roman (Western Empire Rebels)
    {FRANKS} Franks
    {HUNS} Huns
    {SARMATIANS} Sarmatians
    {SASSANIDS} Sassanids
    {SAXONS} Saxons
    {VANDALS} Vandals
    {GOTHS} Goths
    {CELTS} Celts
    {WHITE_HUNS} White Huns
    {OSTROGOTHS} Ostrogoths
    {ROMANO_BRITISH} Romano British
    {SLAVS} Slavs
    {MOORS} Moors
    {BERBERS} Berbers

To me it looks like Seleuicid are still tagged as The seleucid Empire which doesen't quite explain why my tracks only work in the Roman sections of Descr_sounds_music.txt when playing as Seleuicid.

Something else i should note is the Dry_Well track that i finally got working by placing it within the Roman section just repeats even though i have 7 custom tracks in there now.