Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vassals & Valour: Redux - Rules Finalization and Sign-ups

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Vassals & Valour: Redux - Rules Finalization and Sign-ups

another reason to have all factions set as playable and the game set up in hotseat mode..even if we decided not to do this now, it would give us the option to change our minds later
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

I can't fully commit to this right now, so no character for me. But I do plan on following it, as I am very much interested to see if decentralization (aka the holy grail) will work smoothly, especially as the empire expands.

I do have a few questions for Cecil.

First, how do you plan on keeping players within their budget. If someone queues up a building more expensive than they can afford by mistake, will you cancel it before you end the turn?

Relatedly, how will you handle bankruptcy? If a player's personal budget hits zero, but they still have a large army, will you start disbanding troops? Will you immediately disband everything, or will some troops stay in service for promise of future payment? (Also, will you make players pay back IOUs to the troops once they have money?)

How will you handle merged armies? I assume you'll want to keep track of individual units. Should players be required to declare when they merge their armies and create an official list of who owns what inside the stack? Merging depleted units might also have to be a formal, public process, since it rearrange the stack and might require various transfers of ownership.

And my final question is a general one, since I don't remember following the original V&V very closely: How the hell do you intend to keep track of all this? Is there are spreadsheet involved? How will your turn-ly financial reports look like?
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

hey Cecil sorry to be such a n00b but I dl'd the mod and loaded the test save and I can't see Leopold in there anywhere - in fact there are only three family members whose names do not match up to those you mentioned in your post..did I do something wrong or have I somehow picked a character that doesn't have an in-game avatar yet or something? (I picked based on your post while I was away and couldn't load up the save)

EDIT: Wait am I the guy who is called Lorenz in this save?
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 08-14-2010 at 07:36.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Sweljuk Sultan Sweladin Member barcamartin's Avatar

I'm gonna go with "Otto von Kassel, the Duke of Bavaria", or Philippe as his name is in-game. (?)

GMT+1 (+2 with DST)
    The Great Seljuks, Winner of the "Broken Crescent: Commanders of the Faithful" hotseat

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

I'll be Magnus of Saxony, Duke of Saxony

GMT + 1 (+ 2 DST)
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 08-14-2010 at 15:21.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In retrospect, I should have known that the confusion surrounding names should have been dealt with in the beginning. Here, try this this file. This is my version of "landstoconquer/data/descr_names.txt". This should display names correctly. Everyone having problems with getting the names to display correctly should overwrite their own version of this file with the one I've provided here, and that should solve the problems.

Ignoramus, while I like the idea of having player's cardinals give them influence over the papacy, I think having defacto control over the papcy itself goes too far. I was thinking though that the players who control cardinals would be the ones who decide which pope to vote for.

flyd, thanks for your interest. I've decided to follow the games lead on debt issues, at least somewhat. Players cannot recruit units/agents/fleets and cannot construct buildings unless they have the money upfront. This is stated in the beginning of Rule 3.3. The only penalty for players who go into bankruptcy is that they will not be able to recruit or construct. I think that will be enough of a deterrant, but if experience proves otherwise we can change the rules to something more stringent. I'm also glad you brought up merging armies, this is something I should have adressesed specifically in the rules. I don't think it's as complicated as it seems, but a detailed explanation is warranted and I'll post one later. As for your final question, you can see how it worked last time here. Keep in mind I've going to combine income from cities into one column rather than list them sepearately, since that would inevitably get too cumbersome.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 08-14-2010 at 20:26.

Cecil, is it by design or oversight that the game hasn't been set up on "huge" unit scale ? I thought it would be more interesting if it was... It would make BGs less powerful because their number of men would remain the same while any other unit would gain a 25% boost to its numbers...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the opportunity Cecil: I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I think I'm ready to drag the old man out of mothballs once more to give him another run.

GMT -5, I believe -4 with DST. US East Coast.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 08-14-2010 at 21:04.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng View Post
    Cecil, is it by design or oversight that the game hasn't been set up on "huge" unit scale ? I thought it would be more interesting if it was... It would make BGs less powerful because their number of men would remain the same while any other unit would gain a 25% boost to its numbers...
    The save that was offered to let people view the starting situation is just for that, it will not be used for the actual game. Traditionally these games have used "Large" unit sizes, but if there's no objections I'd be fine with setting it to "Huge". What with the ever-increasing power of computers, that should be less of a problem now anyway.

Also, you're quite welcome GH, I'm a sentimentalist so I couldn't resist offering him to you. That means there's going to be a ninth general, and here he is:

Remember, whoever picks him can also pick which of the three remaining provinces he starts with.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 08-14-2010 at 22:29.

Either large or huge would suit me...

I gather the last two provinces will belong to the Emperor ??

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Oh and btw I've playtested in my own campaign with Sicily the possibility of choosing the Heir by removing the Factionheir trait from the ingame-chosen Heir and giving it to another FM of my own choosing... It didn't work... So we may still see Methodios-Ioannis sparing contest between the natural heir and the ingame-chosen one...

So I guess unless someone can find a way around this, we're stuck with the sometimes nonsensical choices of the AI...
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 08-14-2010 at 23:37.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Somes pics of the other three available characters (I left out Magnus, since I wasn't sure about his status).

Andreas Hummel, Lord of Flanders, renowned center of cloth.

Vaclav Premyslid, ruler of Prague and more importantly possessor of what is perhaps the coolest name to ever appear in any of these games.

Ortwinus Raspe, master of Tirol and those ever neutral Swiss.

Last edited by Zim; 08-15-2010 at 05:12.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

I'll take Ortwinus Raspe then please, seeing as my beloved Saxony has been stolen by someone who was supposed to be at the back of the line

GMT

I'll give you some Saxon back of the line

PS : I'll take somebody else if I truly chose out of turn, ofc

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Blog Entries

Thanks Zim. Looking at the starting situation, I'm going to give Vaclav all the merecenaires in Bohemia for free so he doesn't get effortlessly bumrushed. Henry will get a similar deal, and someone else probably will too depending on what province gets picked.

Tristan, while you are at the back of the line, there's nothing stotpping you from saying what character you'd like. Just as there's nothing to stop Elite Ferret from ignoring you.

So being on holiday and checking the thread from my phone a tad late, gets me what ? Back of the line !!

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Don't worry Tristan, I'll let you have him, wouldn't want to upset my favourite king of France would I?

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

I'll take Vaclav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Thanks guys for letting me have Hummel.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cecil: Will there be a Diet session before things start or are we plunging straight into the civil war?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    Thanks guys for letting me have Hummel.
    I've heard great things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlax View Post
    I've heard great things.
    I won't disappoint.

Guys, I seriously recommend reading through the old KotR and LotR threads. They've provided some of the best reading I've had in a long time.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Blog Entries

Cecil, I'm GMT -5, not +5. Also, in case you missed it:

Will there be a Diet session before things start or are we plunging straight into the civil war?

GMT -5 likewise.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

If I've understood things right, Michel von Bavaria is free - so I'll take him, if I may. GMT +2.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Is that a character in Cecil's save?
    Last edited by Zim; 08-16-2010 at 22:31.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Cecil: Will there be a Diet session before things start or are we plunging straight into the civil war?
    I wasn't planning on it, but if people have something to say, then sure.

The Celtic Viking, I don't think you have the right names file. Download this into the landstoconquer/data folder, and overwrite the existing file. This will fix the names problem. You'll be able to tell if the names are being displayed correctly because you'll see Vaclav Premyslid in Prague. As for characters, you have two choices. First, you can have Magnus von Saxony, whom you'll find in Hamburg. The second is this man:

If you choose him, you can choose to own either Magdeburg, Bern or Marseilles.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 08-16-2010 at 23:39.

First of all, Cecil, thanks for the invitation. It was very sad to see VI die, but I'm sure this one will last longer!

Give me a week to think about it, if you still have room for more players...

EDIT: Sorry for the late response, I was on a holiday...
    Balloons are opium for the Orgah's

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Ah, yes, I forgot the names file. Thank you.

Now, Theodericus, I choose you! And Magdeburg is the province I'd like to have. Still GMT +2.

Edit: btw, so we're clear: my case is, like Barcaman's, GMT +1 without DST.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 08-17-2010 at 14:25.

Blog Entries

All right, I'm trying to create the initial save file, but I'm having a problem. I'm trying to create a hotseat game for it, but when I look at PK's guide I get to the part where it saves "start a hotseat game like norma", and I don't know how to do that. We've got quite a few hotseat players here, can anyone help me? I'll be starting the main game threads here as soon as some admin stuff is taken care of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast