Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sengoku Trivia Quiz

Default Re: Sengoku Trivia Quiz

Allright Duckie.I think it is your turn to present us with a question.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I was a member of the Twenty-Four Generals and I was famous for dressing my men in bright red armour. According to legend I was asked by my master on his deathbed to plan his banners at the Seta Bridge, the eastern gateway to Kyoto. Who was I?
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Yamagata Masakage one of Shingen's 24.

Correct!

-Frederick the Great

Born in Omi and rose to become a bugyo under the administration of the second of the three great unifiers, I was present at Sekigahara on the losing side and was captured and executed. Who am I?

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ishida Mitsunari?

Correct - your question.

Blog Entries

Hmmmm, I do my best . Kinda easy.

I was the 9th Lord of the Imagawa family, who had his head lopped off during a surprise attack on my camp while I was trying to get a good night's sleep.

How do you do Lord Yoshimoto Imagawa? :D
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Alexsandr View Post
    How do you do Lord Yoshimoto Imagawa? :D

I'm headless!

Correct,your turn!

That's too bad. :D

Alright. Here's mine.

"I fought against my nemesis, the Hatekeyama and defeated them. Having unified the northernmost lands of Japan, I found myself having to submit to the authority of Hideyoshi Toyotomi, and helped him defeat the Hojo. After Hideyoshi died though, I joined forces with Ieyasu Tokugawa. I tried to join the Tokugawa at Sekigahara, but was help up by Kanetsugu Naoe and the forces of the Uesugi. I was at Osaka though, and played a pivotal role in that battle! Who am I?"

Date Masamune?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Date Masamune?

A little extra trivia; this is Date Masamune, pictured in the Shogun 2 graphic.

Last edited by Tomisama; 08-08-2010 at 13:54.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Yes that picture portraits the external things well which made him so easy to regognice. Masamune had a possible birth defect that made his other eye blind since birth possibly. For that he earned the nickname of "One eyed Dragon". Also in the picture you can also see his famous moon crescent helmet. Masamune was also famous for dressing all his troops from lowliest ashigaru to himself in type of armor called Okegawa- Do, which made his army very uniformed and no doubt enhanced the esprit de corps. Just as trivia it has been rumoured that Date Masamunes armour was used as inspiration, when George Lucas made research in order to create the famous look for Darth Vader. Here is a picture about a modern replica made of Masamune´s famous armour:

Here is additional information concerning this famous Sendai warlord provided by Samurai Archives.com, for those who like to read more about him:

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/ind...=Date_Masamune

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Date Masamune
    From SamuraiWiki

* Born: 1566
    * Died: 1636
    * Other names: Tojirô Masamune
    * Titles: Echizen no Kami, Mutsu no Kami

Date Masaume was the eldest son of Date Terumune, a lord of the Rikuzen area of Mutsu. His mother was a daughter of Mogami Yoshimori. Masamune was born in September 1566 at Yonezawa and first went by the name Botenmaru. He received the name Tojirô Masamune in 1578 and the following year was married to the daughter of Tamura Kiyoaki. He went on his first campaign in 1581, helping his father fight the Soma family.

Masamune assumed control of the Date in 1584 with the retirement of his father. Shortly afterwards, he suffered the defection of a Date retainer named Ouchi Sadatsuna to the Ashina of the Aizu region. Masamune declared war on the Ashina in retaliation. However, Masamune's army was halted at Hibara by the Ashina general, Iwashiro Morikuni, and forced to retreat. Three months later, Masamune besieged the Ouchi's stronghold at Otemori and inflicted a terrible price on the traitors, allegedly putting some 800 people of all ages to the sword. When word of this slaughter reached the Ouchi at Obama Castle, they burned Obama and fled. At the same time, tensions between the Date and their traditional rivals the Hatakeyama began to flare. The lord of the Hatakeyama, Yoshitsugu, evidently attempted to make peace with Masamune on a number of occasions, but the latter, young and hot-blooded, rebuffed each advance. Finally, Yoshitsugu turned to Terumune to mediate. The two former rivals sat down and feasted together in a most cordial manner. The following day, Yoshitsugu ostensibly came to thank Terumune for the enjoyable dinner. He then kidnapped Terumune at sword point, an act both unheard of and shocking. When Masamune returned from a morning of falconry to learn of his father's abduction, he called his men to arms and set off after Hatakeyama's entourage. They caught up with Hatakeyama near the Abukuma River. Terumune cried out for Masamune to open fire on them, regardless of his own safety, but his son hesitated. In the confusion, Terumune was cut down and Yoshitsugu somehow escaped to his castle of Nihonmatsu.
    Date Masamune, with his trademark crescent moon helmet crest.
    Enlarge
    Date Masamune, with his trademark crescent moon helmet crest.

A general war ensued between the Date and Hatakeyama, the Hatakeyama drawing on support from the Satake, Ashina, Soma, and other local clans. The allies marched to within a half-mile of Masamune's Motomiya-jo, assembling some 30,000 troops for the attack. Masamune, having only 7,000 warriors of his own, prepared a defensive strategy, relying on the series of forts that guarded the approaches to Motomiya. The fighting began on the 17th of November, and did not progress well for the Date. Three of his valuable forts were taken, and one of his chief retainers, Moniwa Yoshinao, was killed in a duel with an opposing commander. The attackers pressed towards the Seto River, which was the last obstacle between them and Motomiya. Date attempted to turn them back at the Hitadori Bridge, but was driven back. Masamune brought his remaining forces within Motomiya's walls, and prepared for what would surely be a gallant but futile last stand. But the next morning, no doubt to the amazed relief of the Date warriors, the main enemy contingent picked up and marched away. These were Satake Yoshishige's men, their lord having received word that in his absence the Satomi had attacked his lands in Hitachi. Apparently this left the allies with fewer men than they believed possible to bring down Motomiya, for they too had retreated by the end of the day. This brush with utter defeat was likely a factor in turning Masamune into the renowned general he would one day be known as. In his youth, Masamune had suffered a bout with small pox that caused an infection in his right eye-which he plucked out himself. Combined with his early aggressive and unstable demeanor, Masamune would earn the tag 'One-eyed Dragon'. That nickname would stick, but became one of respect.

In the wake of the battle, peace was struck with the Hatakeyama and Soma, although this was to prove short-lived.

In 1589, Date defeated the Soma, and bribed an important Ashina retainer, Inawashiro Morikuni, over to his side. He then assembled a powerful force and marched straight for the Ashina's headquarters at Kurokawa. The Date and Ashina forces met at Suriagehara on 5 June, and Masamune's forces carried the day, Masamune leading a charge against faltering Ashina ranks, and breaking them. Unfortunately for the Ashina, Date men had destroyed their avenue of escape, a bridge over the Nitsubashi River, and those who did not drown attempting to swim to safety were mercilessly put to the sword. By the battle's end, Masamune could count something like 2,300 enemy heads in one of the more bloody and decisive battles of the Sengoku period to happen in the far north.

This would be Date Masamune's last expansionist adventure, however. With the coming of the next year Hideyoshi besieged the Hojo's Odawara castle. Hideyoshi ordered Date to participate, which he did, though it is said he put off his arrival so that his spies could report on the likely victor. Since the outcome of the siege was obvious, Date presented himself before Hideyoshi and apologized for his lateness. Following the conclusion of the siege, however, Hideyoshi ordered Date to relinquish his newly won holdings in Aizu (perhaps using Date's tardiness as a pretext) and be content with Yonezawa (200,000 koku), a much-reduced income that doubtlessly did not sit so well with Masamune.

In 1592, Date served in Hideyoshi's headquarters at Nagoya on Kyushu during the Korean invasion. Three years later, he found himself implicated in the suspected treason of Toyotomi Hidetsugu and was ordered to pack up and move his household to Iyo on Shikoku, an unthinkable fate (to Date) averted through the good offices of Tokugawa Ieyasu. All in all, it is not surprising that Date readily joined Tokugawa when war came between the latter and Ishida Mitsunari began in 1600. He had already married a son to one of Ieyasu's daughters (an act which in itself had aggravated tensions between Ieyasu and his fellow san-bugyo members) and was likely contemplating how best his remote forces could aid Tokugawa when war began. In the event, he and Mogami Yoshiakira of Dewa held the forces of Uesugi Kagekatsu at bay, with Masamune's first contribution to the war effort being the Siege of Hataya. The battles in the north culminated with Masamune's attack on Fukushima Castle. Date and Mogami's efforts allowed Tokugawa to move west in confidence, and, of course, the campaign culminated in the total victory at Sekigahara in October 1600. In the aftermath, Date's lands were enlarged to 600,000 koku, and he built a new castle town (Aoba-jo) at Sendai.

In 1613 an interesting chain of events unfolded. Masamune, largely lenient towards the Christians in his lands, interceded on the behalf of a certain Father Soteho who had been condemned to death for preaching his faith in Japan in defiance of the anti-Christian edicts. Soteho was released and sent to Sendai, where Date asked if he might arrange for a trade mission to Europe, accompanied by a few Date retainers. Soteho agreed, and Ieyasu reluctantly consented to Masamune's requests for authorization, despite fears that the crafty Date was somehow fishing for European aid in a possible overthrow of the Tokugawa. Masamune dispatched Hasekura Tsunenaga (1571-1622) to head the mission, which returned seven years later. The long-time travelers found that Date had been pressured into initiating a persecution in his territory, and Soteho, arriving at Nagasaki, was once again condemned to death, and this time burned. Though Date's embassy had come to naught, he maintained his status as a first rate general, serving in the Osaka Campaigns (1614,1615). His somewhat unusual and at times controversial manner of doing things was best demonstrated by an incident that occurred during the 1615 siege. Evidently, Masamune became frustrated at the lack of aggression on the part of friendly troops under Jinbo Sukemochi, and ordered his own men to let off a few rifle volleys in their direction to goad them into action. Needless to say, this was not an act well looked upon by his fellow generals.

When Ieyasu was on his deathbed in 1616, Masamune was one of the last of the great daimyo to see him, presenting his overlord with a piece of Zen poetry. Yet, while they were ostensibly on very good terms, Tokugawa (nor anyone else for that matter) never fully trusted the unfathomable lord of Sendai. A number of anecdotes have survived that paint the picture of a lord with an attitude both unreadable and outspoken. In addition, Masamune had a keen appreciation of the arts, despite his rustic background.

When Masamune died (1636), he was succeeded by his son Tadamune (d.1658).

Masamune's sons included Hidemune, Tadamune, Munekiyo, Munetsuna, Munetaka, and Munekatsu.

The Katakura, Shiroishi, Endo, Rusu, Oniniwa, and Hasekura clans served the Date loyally.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Great stuff!!!!
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Alexsandr View Post
    That's too bad. :D

Alright. Here's mine.

"I fought against my nemesis, the Hatekeyama and defeated them. Having unified the northernmost lands of Japan, I found myself having to submit to the authority of Hideyoshi Toyotomi, and helped him defeat the Hojo. After Hideyoshi died though, I joined forces with Ieyasu Tokugawa. I tried to join the Tokugawa at Sekigahara, but was help up by Kanetsugu Naoe and the forces of the Uesugi. I was at Osaka though, and played a pivotal role in that battle! Who am I?"
    However; honestly I was not able to match "all" of the criteria of the question to Masamune.

Helping Hideyoshi defeat the Hojo, well he was intentionally late to the battle because he was sizing up the winner before he got there, and really got in trouble over that one.

And tried to join Tokugawa at Sekigahara? From what a preliminary scan of the material could reveal (as I am certainly not an expert), Masamune was there for the battle.

Am I incorrect and Kagemusha takes the next turn, or should we continue to search for the intended Daimyo?

Kagemusha said Date Masamune first, and that is correct.

Hmm. Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Date Masamune was late because of the Uesugi. And he was present at the siege of Odawara. Present. Not particularly involved, but he was there. I believe Toyotomi Hideyoshi punished him for that as well. (further drawing him over to the Tokugawa's side.)

I'm not a expert either. But I am sort of a novice historian... XD And the Sengoku era is one of my specialties. I'm pretty sure I got that information straight. Oh, I re-read it and I see your issues. "helped the Toyotomi defeat the Hojo might be one." Well he was there, albiet late. So he did... but, eh, not as much as he could have. On the other one, I'm pretty sure Masamune Date was at the battle late. Along with a lot of other people. (So he wasn't alone in that regard anyhow.) It's hard to write a question completely accurately, sorry if the way I wrote it was kind of confusing. I could have wrote it different for sure.

More information about Masamune Date. Masamune was the first daimyo to establish a uniform for his forces. (mentioned earlier in this thread.) Their equipment was all gold and black. Masamune Date was also present at the siege of Osaka where his mounted teppou cavalry played a very decisive role in that battle. Also in that battle, Masamune Date ordered that an ally be fired at for sitting around while the battle was going on. You'd better give it your all with him around it seems! This didn't exactly endear him to his allies. Masamune Date was sometimes considered rash, but his skill in battle was undeniable. When he returned to Sendai, (some credit him as founding Sendai, the truth is he just made it better.) he restored many sites of historical significance. Especially stuff related to the Taira and the Minnamoto. He himself was a Fujiwara, back in his bloodline anyhow, and his ancestor was in the vanguard in the attack on Yoshitsune Minnamoto in Oushu. (Thus how the Date family got in the north in the first place.) Many historical items of his still exist to this day. Including letters to the Pope, and writings of his own.

A very impressive daimyo for sure. :D

Then the next question comes from Kagemusha

Just a thought, it might be a good idea to keep a running list of trivia subjects (not whole questions) on the first post, so we don’t start repeating our selves.

Great topic by the way; Thanks!

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness." Date Masamune
    Last edited by Tomisama; 08-09-2010 at 20:50.

Tomisama, good idea about the questions. I will edit in numbers for the questions and compile them in the first post.
    All right next one:

"I fought in over 60 battles and was not wounded even once. I was called as "Samurai among Samurai". Who am i ?"
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Member Member Shigemasa Oyamada's Avatar

I'm going to take a guess but I don't think it is right since he mostly fought duels and not battles, Miyamoto Musashi?
    It is possible to be too much smarter than your opponent. If you give credit for more subtlety than he has, he can achieve tactical surprise by doing the obvious.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Tomisama, good idea about the questions. I will edit in numbers for the questions and compile them in the first post.
    All right next one:

"I fought in over 60 battles and was not wounded even once. I was called as "Samurai among Samurai". Who am i ?"
    I'd stake my life it was this man:

Tadakatsu Honda shall make orphans of your souls!

Correct answer Cecil XIX!Please tell us some more of this fellow and make your own question.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ahh Tadakatsu Honda, champion of the Mikawa warriors under Tokugawa, that makes sense.
    It is possible to be too much smarter than your opponent. If you give credit for more subtlety than he has, he can achieve tactical surprise by doing the obvious.

Blog Entries

The only other thing I know about Tadakatsu that hasn't been mentioned is that his spear was known as the "Tonbo-Giri", or Dragonfly Cutter. So called because it was said that if a dragonfly rested on it the insect would be sliced in two. The spear is known as one of "The Three Great Spears of Japan", and the man was one of "The Four Guardians of the Tokugawa".

Also, he has an awesome theme song.

All right, here's my question.

My father and grandfather served the Takeda clan, but I am best known for serving the Toyotomi. I fought in the last battle of the Sengoku era, and for my exploits some called me "The Greatest Warrior in Japan." Who am I?

Sanada Yukimura.

-Frederick the Great

Tadakatsu Honda served the Tokugawa since Ieyasu's Tokogawa's time serving the Imagawa. (At which time Ieyasu was known as Motoyasu Matsudaira.) Tadakatsu Honda is said to have never been injured in battle. His famous spear, Tonbo-Giri, as mentioned above was a highly famed weapon. After Sekigahara, the man who Shingen described as a "Luxury of the Tokugawa" began to lose favor with the Tokugawa. Tadakatsu Honda had allowed his daughter to marry the son of Masayuki Sanada. Yukimura's brother, Nobuyuki Sanada. It was Tadakatsu who called Yukimura "The Greatest Soldier in Japan." Where as Tadakatsu was called, "The greatest Samurai." Tadakatsu called Yukimura this because Yukimura escaped his relative imprisonment to come to the aid of the Toyotomi. A feat of great skill, courage, and loyalty. Of Nobuyuki Tadakatsu called him, "The most sincere young man he had ever known." And so allowed him to marry his daughter Inahime. Allowing his daughter to marry into the Sanada clan was not a popular decision. And Tadakatsu suffered for it. He was no rewarded nearly as much as other retainers of the Tokugawa after Ieyasu united the land. He was however, completely loyal. Even with his diminished status. He was, and is still known as a great warrior, and played a crucial role in countless battles for the Tokugawa.

Another famous feature concerning Tadakatsu was his armour,particularly his helmet, which was decorated with deer antlers.Here is a modern replica of his famous armour:

Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

My apologies for being slow here, but yes, AggonyDuck has it correct.

According to legend; during the end of Hideyoshi's Kyushu campaign, this Shimazu retainer, famed for his bravery, took to the hills to continue to the struggle instead of seeing his clan endure the shame of defeat. However, unbeknownst to him, the war ended in a generous peace offer by Hideyoshi that brought peace between the Shimazu and the Toyotomi. As the Toyotomi army was withdrawing from Satsuma, the vanguard found its way barred by this retainer and his small band of samurai. The Toyotomi samurai tried to make it clear that peace had been agreed upon, but it was only after seeing the arrival of the rest of Hideyoshi's army that he saw the absurdity of his situation. Thus he became the last Satsuma samurai to lay down his sword. Who was he?

-Frederick the Great

I'm not entirely sure, but Shimazu Yoshihiro?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast