Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bug Reports

I hope these haven't been posted somewhere else.

1. Can't build any ships above Baroque. Every time I right click on shipyard it still says I'm waiting for the compass event even though it has already happened. I've reinstalled the game and am waiting to get to the compass event again to see if this fixed anything.

2. Crusades no longer ask for permission to enter my lands. They just go passing through sucking up my troops even though I don't want to let them. Maybe this is a new feature? Just in case it matters I've been playing as the HRE Early. This has happened before and after I reinstalled the game and installed the patch.
    I see stupid people....walking around like regular people....they don't even know they're stupid.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Heinrich VI Mercenary
    Posted: Nov. 14 2002,11:55 in Main Hall

found a bug. inquisitors build in castille dont get the +1 valour bonus they should get according to the strat map.
    (unconfirmed)
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Game crashed to desktop during big battle (my pc could handle it fine, no lag either).

I zipped up all the txt files in the MTW root dir and uploaded it to the org,

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloa....rir.zip

====
    adjusted file name
    B.

Abandon all hope.

It's lame enough that the massrebellions are still in the game but to give longbowman to Germans (while I-English- still can't build them?) Sorry, I know, no whining, but I really dislike the mass rebellions...
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 06-09-2006 at 18:53.
    Abandon all hope.

As noted:

GA points not calculated properly; rebels forces in provinces often have forces the time period does not allow (my favourite was Lancers in Ile de France during Early-cheapest way to get them though ); event notices and ability they should give not in synch ie: how long after the notice do you need to wait?

I thought there was valour upgrades for Master shops, incl Master Horse Breeder-sometimes there is sometimes there isn't Doh I have checked and I am not confusing the sometime effect with territorial specials.

All apply to SP
    Ja-mata TosaInu

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

SP Campaigns

User create campaigns still fail to display the custom descriptions UNLESS you first select a "release" campaign and THEN select a user made campaign.

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

SP Campaign

GA points for successfull crusades fail to be awarded

UNLESS after conquering the province garrison the castle,
    then move enough men out of the province to entice the AI to invade the province,

THEN choose Retreat to Castle and you will get the GA points for a successfull Crusade.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

This is from rpasell posted in the EH regarding the SP Campaign:

Quote[/b] ]
    I notices yesterday that the HRE had a barque in the Atlantic. Is that a bug or are barques now non-costal, the description still says it is a costal vessel.
    To which Basileus replied:

Quote[/b] ]
    Theres nothing about this in the patch info but it has happend to me aswell, the english had 2 barques in the atlantic..
    This space intentionally left blank

GA points not added correctly - i have seen only homeland points added and other times only conquest points added.

Not just post-patch, but units not withdrawing properly or reinforcements not arriving - the icon flashes between marching quickly and standing and the unit doesnt leave the map.

Quote[/b] (GilJaysmith @ Nov. 15 2002,08:36)]
    Quote[/b] (ichabod @ Nov. 14 2002,18:39)]Novel Bug post patch
    just to keep centralized

==== edit by barocca ====
    GilJay - you have to go look at this one,

Ichabod - could you zip the save file/files and upload them here
    http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Up...s/MTWbeta.php3
    label "BUG_savegame_ichabod1.zip", "BUG_savegame_ichabod2.zip" etc.
    Noted, waiting for savegames.

Gil ~ CA
    [QUOTE]
    Did you get the files OK? If not let me know, otherwise I'll assume you got them & are busy at work.
    P.S. Solypsist, for some reason the picture link on the original post is no longer working?
    Thanks to all who work so hard on this great game/forum.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the immortal General/King bug is still very much present...
    Abandon all hope.

SP Battles

Hosakawa Tito
    ---------
    I just had a battle in my Danish campaign against the Golden Horde. I was defending a bridge in Kiev. My favorite tactic is to march a defensive unit, in this case mercenary halbediers, halfway onto the bridge and stop them there, hold formation hold position. I place arbs and archers on each flank of the bridge at the waters edge. The attackers charge across and engage my unit on the bridge. My halbediers hold the attackers in place, and my missle troops massacre them. When the halbediers get whittled down, I move another unit onto the bridge to relieve them. I tried to withdraw them off the map for a fresh unit, but some of them remained on the bridge like they were stuck in place. I couldn't advance or withdraw them. I won the battle anyway, but good thing I didn't need that fresh unit or it could have cost me the battle. I've had units in STW and MI get stuck once in a while, but never on a bridge. Anyone else ever see this in MTW?
    ---------

LadyAnn
    ---------
    I saw it once. I change the unit to "engage at will" so they could break rank and be on the narrower bridge. It seems to work. Don't know if it was a map problem or not though. Those got stuck are the spears.
    Annie
    ---------

MizuKokami
    ---------
    i've had a few times where i've tried to withdraw a unit off the battlefield to bring in reinforcements, and the unit seems to be stuck on the edge of the map in a place you can't see. the unit icon shows it as withdrawing, but the halt button in the commands is flashing. just clicking it once doesn't work in getting the unit to obey, but clicking it several times real fast brings the unit back to the field so i can move it to a place where i can direct it to withdraw without getting stuck. if you get a unit stuck again, check and see if any buttons are flashing. maybe this is a bug. keep us posted.
    ---------

deejayvee
    ---------
    In one battle I had 2 units of Polish retainers that had been mauled to pieces and was trying to withdraw them and they'd get stuck somewhere between leaving the map and actually leaving the battle just like MizuKokami mentioned. Only thing was there was no flashing of the halt button. I just pressed it and they came back on the field. Then every time I tried to withdraw these Polish retainers they'd get stuck. Eventually I routed them and they left. A couple of other units had to be withdrawn too and they worked ok. It was only the retainers.
    ---------

MizuKokami
    ---------
    i think the problem that i've seen has been only when withdrawing them through trees. after getting the units back, i move them over to a clear area and can withdraw them as normal. maybe the units are getting stuck on certain textures?
    ---------

Hosakawa Tito
    ---------
    I believe you are right Mizu. If it happens to me again I'm going to try what Lady Ann suggested, change their formation/engage at will etc... don't know if it will help, but is worth a try.
    ---------

pdoan8
    ---------
    If unit gets stuck at the edge of the map (while they are withdrawing), you can try to cancel the withdrawal order (Backspace), move them back (onto the map) by clicking any where on the map then withdraw them again. It always works for me.
    ---------

deejayvee
    ---------
    Well, with my Polish retainers I withdrew, halted and withdrew again a couple of times, but they didn't leave until I routed them.

However, they were withdrawing through trees, so Mizu's answer would explain it.
    ---------

Barocca
    ---------
    This is quite frustrating,
    i have seen units stuck withdrawing from the map this several times.

Workaround
    cancel the withdrawal order,
    either by select unit and press backspace,
    or by multiple clicking on the halt button, unit will return to the field, then move to an area clear of trees and withdraw again,
    or rout the the unit.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

More on the GA Crusade issue.

1) If the province has no fort/castle/etc, you will not get the GA points when you lose the province. You must be forced (choosing retreat to castle might work) back into a castle structure.

2) Once (if) you loose the castle you will get your crusade marker back in the starting province so you can re-launch it.

3) You can do this multiple times. For example, if you take Palistine, build a fort (if it doesn't have one) and then lose the province to a muslim faction, you'll get the 12 GA points. Now, when they finally take the castle you get your crusade marker back (with accompaning text so apparently this is working as intended). Now launch the crusade (you have to pay the pope again, but you saved the 1000 florins required to build the crusade marker) against Palestine. Take the province, rebuild fort if necessary. Lose province to muslims and once again you'll get 12 more GA points.

To really abuse #3, build 3 crusade markers. Launch them against all three of the coastal Crusade GA targets (you've got a fleet stretching there right? ) Go through the stated steps, eventlly losing the provinces. (Heck, I was moving all but one or two units out to conserve units.) Once the Egyptians (in my case) retook a province, I immediately relaunched the crusade against the same target.

Not only did I get tons of crusade only troops for a cheap cheap price, but needless to say, won that GA game by a large margin. Personally I think the multiple GA crusade points is a bug, and not entirely sure that you should get the crusade marker back even though that part seems to be intentional.

Magnum
    Magnum

I was invaded by the egyptians, even though they didn't have any ships in the region and I even owned 1 of the 2 coastal seas (they did not own the other). Got a screenshot if requested...
    Abandon all hope.

MP Setup Bug

posted by Kongamato
    Posted: Dec. 07 2002,00:45
    --------------------
    In a recent multiplayer game(before I crashed), the player I was attacking had his ambush given away before the battle even begun.

During the army setup phase, I heard the footsteps of a unit being placed on the ground near me and I saw dust rising from the clump of trees to my right. Once the battle began, a unit I sent as recon uncovered his 3 units of Gothic Knights hiding in the trees. I then crashed, but if the battle had gone on I probably would have been able to counter his ambush with an unfair advantage.

I believe that the feature I just exploited detracts from the game, and ruined the ambush set by my opponent. If CA is reading this, I hope you guys can get this fixed.

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

SP Campaign
    and the sicilian princesses bug still happens,

if you enable and play as the sicilian faction and keep the king in sicily the princesses do not appear on the strategic map,

Workaround
    if you ensure all princesses are under age first turn and move the king out of sicily on the first turn then the princesses should appear as normal
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

I noticed that sometimes some armies dissappear from the strategic map, but i can recover them using the army scroll button (bottom left). I pick the invisible armies and their troops appear below. I select each one, i move them to the province they were and reappear.

"The game [M2TW] is actually more balanced than rock/paper/scissor. Combinations that work: rock vs rock - paper vs paper - scissor vs scissor.
    A new frontier that wipes off a bunch of old concepts"
    - Machiavelli69

"Shogun was chess, vi was chequers rome was tiddlywinks and mtw2 musical chairs." - Swoosh So

Just to confirm that we're grateful for these bug reports - keep 'em coming.

Gil ~ CA
    Gil ~ CA

This Panda

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

this is a confirmation and additional note on barocca's sicilian princess bug...

Quote[/b] ]SP Campaign
    and the sicilian princesses bug still happens,

if you enable and play as the sicilian faction and keep the king in sicily the princesses do not appear on the strategic map,

Workaround
    if you ensure all princesses are under age first turn and move the king out of sicily on the first turn then the princesses should appear as normal
    in my game as the sicilians, you dont have to move the king; the princess will show up in the heir's list as normal when she comes of age, but wont show up in the agent list or on the campaign map. if you wait about 2 years, she will show up all on her own in the agent list and the map. however, if, while she's only showing in the heir's list as being of age, but not in the agent list or on the map and you click on her name, you will crash to desktop every time.

the workaround is, DONT CLICK ON THE PRINCESS IN THE HEIR'S LIST ;)

i dont know if this is also true of any other faction or if it works this way in the default campaign game. i've only tested it and seen it occur in this modded game.

K.

Quote[/b] (barocca @ Nov. 15 2002,20:54)]
    Quote[/b] ]Heinrich VI Mercenary
    Posted: Nov. 14 2002,11:55 in Main Hall

found a bug. inquisitors build in castille dont get the +1 valour bonus they should get according to the strat map.
    (unconfirmed)
    I have also seen this, inquisitors are produced in castile at 0 valour.

1. SP crash - Occasional crash during the announcements in the beginning of a year. This did not happen pre-patch. Seems to be random although it usally happens shortly after a battle. Three or four announcements appear with no problem, then the game just shuts down. Faction does no seem to be a factor as it occured with the 4 different factions I've played since the patch.

2. Polish Faction - if I have maximum units garrisoned in the citadel in Poland, the new units I am producing never appear. The unit I was supposed to train disappears off the unit production que, but never shows up on the map. Once I took my garrisoned troops out of the citadel everything was fine.
    - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

SP Campaign
    New patron SSNeoperestroika asks:
    ---------snip---------
    "I've had MTW since it came out. Quite some time ago I decided to alter it to play all factions (turns out it was a lot easier than I thought, eh
    Anyway, I discovered the Prince portraits then, and would like to know why they are never used. Why are General Portraits used in their place? Or where are these portraits used? Is it a glitch?...."
    ---------snip---------

a bug i think,
    just ran a process monitor to check if all the folders and files were in correct place/name etc.
    and Medieval doesn't even look for prince portraits
    - it loads the generals portraits whenever you click on an heir...
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

---------snip---------

a bug i think,
    just ran a process monitor to check if all the folders and files were in correct place/name etc.
    and Medieval doesn't even look for prince portraits
    - it loads the generals portraits whenever you click on an heir...

In looking through the files the other day, I saw code where you were supposed to assign princes to units when they came of age. This seems to be an early concept that was later abandoned, perhaps because the AI could not be made to perform the function properly. This was probably when the prince portraits were forgotten about.

New bug report: None of the minor factions, except for the Swiss and Burgundians, have code that creates titles when palaces like the Chancellory are built. This is a major annoyance when you play as one of those factions in a modded game, but it would also hurt those factions in all games.

Correcting bug: You can simply copy the existing code for other factions and change the faction names to the necessry ones in the three campaign files located in the campmap/startpos folder.[/B]

New bug report: The Varangian Guard are not allowed in the late age, nor are Longboats, and several of the more advanced Catholic units may appear in Orthodox rebellions.
    These bugs can be changed easily enough in the crusaders unit build file, assuming you are familiar with the file, but it would be nice for the company to correct these themselves and release a small patch.

Note on sound stuttering: I played on a fairly new and quite capable computer when I first got the game, and experienced the sound stuttering that many have reported. Well, I got a new computer of my own a couple months ago, and everything has run as smooth as silk on the new machine. The ram on the two systems is identical, so it would seem that an advanced sound and/or video card is required for the game to function smoothly.
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Loyalty Save/Reload Bug

I've tested this a few different ways. If you have some marginal loyalty provinces, "save", then reload the turn. Loyalty is boosted. Provinces often see ~20% boost. Some negative impact on loyalty is not being calculated on the first turn of a load. In the next turn loyalty effects do appear to be properly handled once again.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Not sure why I'm bothering to report a bug. CA won't patch MTW again and I won't buy Vikings to get bug fixes, but here it is anyway:

An heir came to maturity with a vice that says he is easier to bribe. Can't recall the name of the vice now. Of course heirs can't be bribed so this is a bug in the vice assignment routine.

Trapped Relievers' Castle Siege Length Bug

In certain situations, a large garrison can hold out indefinitely. Message will be something like "this castle will not fall without direct assault." The times I have seen this are when there are few defenders on the opening turn of the siege, then a large relieving force attacks the following turn and fails to break the siege. They end up trapped in the castle as well. But the game fails to recalculate siege length, so 300 or 400 men can hold out forever. You either have to do a horrendously costly assault, or abandon the province then re-attack, or bribe them.

More of a "unintended gameplay feature" than a bug:

Loyalty Boost/No Penalty for not following through on Castle Assault"

If as the besieger you find your besieging forces too few to maintain province loyalty, or if you lack appropriate siege weaponry, or want to use troops elsewhere, but you don't want to do a horrific assault: assault the castle anyway. This will boost loyalty tremendously for the turn. When it comes time to fight the battle, choose "abandon the attack". You can do this turn after turn without ever getting a rebellion, or a nasty vice. Seems to me like chance of rebellion should be based on what loyalty would have been had you not selected castle assault (since you abandoned it). You should not have your cake and eat it too. You should also have some percentage chance of getting a cowardly or indecisive vice.

This is a "cheesy" human tactic, so other than initial testing I haven't used it. I don't think the AI does it so it adds to play imbalance in SP.

AI code for javelin foot soldiers is lacking

From experimenting with Murabitin, Almughavar, and Kerns I find that the tactical interface does not work well with the foot javelin units. The AI should be able to throw at least one volley into the face of a charge and either hold position and fight, or withdraw. Presently, the javelin unit tends to just run without ever throwing anything. Plus rear javelin individual should throw spears over their melee javelin brethren from their own unit into the enemy rear. Javelins should do well just behind the main line, but they tend to flee until they are out of range instead. They can be made to work properly, but it takes so much micro management and so many commands that they are a hindrance in battle rather than a help. The AI uses them poorly as well. The AI does very well with Spanish Jinettes, perhaps because they are so fast and work more as light cavalry.

Listing a few of the better known simple coding errors in the current game:
    1. Tunisian port graphic is in the Sea of Gabes, but the actual port/merchant/troop embarkation point is the African Coast. Historic info I've seen suggests the port should be in the Sea of Gabes as illustrated, but that the order of the sea zones was accidentally reversed leading to the current mismatch.
    2. Mounted crossbowmen should not be available until the invention of the crossbow like the other crossbowmen and arbalests ("High" period rather than "early".)
    3. Various minor factions lack "offices" for governmental buildings (chancellor and the like) except for Swiss and Burgundians. Handicaps the other minor factions since they lose command stars and/or acumen for various leaders.
    4. Footknights are not buildable (without mods of course.)
    5. Rains incessantly.
    6. Autocalc doesn't properly handle castle sieges, fails to calculate significant losses for attacker due to fortifications--particularly when the attacker lacks siege equipment.

Couple of things that might not be true "bugs" but certainly don't fit with the rest of the game...

7. Varangian guards are not available to the Byzantines in Late. The Byz are already handicapped by the lack of spear units in Late. Taking away the Varangians is a pretty heavy blow to add to it.
    8. Polish Retainers should be available in more than a single province (a few neighboring provinces would make sense.) They are of little use to the Poles because of this restriction.
    9. Lithuanian cavalry is at least one full set of building upgrades above what it should be when compared to other cav units. Why the "Swordsmith3" requirement for lance armed cav/archers? Shouldn't this be "Spearmaker2" or "3" or something? Why "HorseFarmer4" for *light* cav?
    10. Dismount choices for many cav/camel are a bit strange and the Muslim units really have poor selection--seems like they should get some sort of "special" upgraded version of the equivalent foot unit that they presently have. Afterall, the men in question would likely be better fed, better armed/armoured, and of higher morale than their counterparts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12