Thread: Information on Iron/steel making in and around germania

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Default Information on Iron/steel making in and around germania

First question. Was steel made by German tribes at all? I know they were iron poor and I am not sure about their technology in regards to steel making.

Secondly, How did they make the steel if they did have the technology to make it?
    I suspect most likely it would have been through the use of charcoal for the carbon enrichment but I believe there are/were significant amounts of coal in the ground in those regions. Did they mine and use coal at all or was it entirely based off wood charcoal?
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Default Re: Information on Iron/steel making in and around germania

I do now that at some point German tribes used bloomeries for steel production but I'm not sure when this was done or if it even was in EB's timeframe.

They mostly used turf and charcoal, but sometimes bituminous coal was used, which was gained by open-pit mining.

Edit:
    According to this site : http://www.b22.de/rennofen/index.html
    they probably used such furnaces as early as 500 bc
    Last edited by Trve Leveller; 10-25-2010 at 14:37.

"This Declares likewise to all Laborers, or such as are called Poor people, that they shall not dare to work for Hire, for any Landlord, or for any that is lifted up above others; for by their labours, they have lifted up Tyrants and Tyranny; and by denying to labor for Hire, they shall pull them down again." - William Everard

Thanks for the link. i don't read german though. But the pictures can be useful.

I am not so concerned about eb's timeframe. I am looking more into the dark ages but I figured the past was a good place to start. I am mostly interested in how prevalent the use of coal was both during the timeframe and in the periods afterwards and if anyone knows whether the use ratio of coal to charcoal increased of decreased.

Otherwise, thanks for the reply. The germanic tribes are a major weakness in my knowledge.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Charcoal would have been most commonly used right up to nearly the start of the industrial age but I think there are records of surface coal deposits being exploited as early as Aristotle when some treatises written in Athens mention coal mining by metal workers. Romans in Britian and Rhineland seemed to have made some limited use of coal as well but it would have beem mostly for making bronze and maybe some early types of iron. Steel was relatively rare until the industrial age and mostly developed accidentally and the science of its production not established. It was a craft and various metal workers over the world created different forms but if you are looking for German tribes the closest in ancient period is likely the roman military steel created in Noricum(Austria/Slovenia). Damascus steel and other types of steel produced in Merv and maybe India was beginning to be scientific in nature by 1100 as some of the Arab writings describe 3-4 different processes to create steel and the merits, costs, and uses of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Charcoal would have been most commonly used right up to nearly the start of the industrial age but I think there are records of surface coal deposits being exploited as early as Aristotle when some treatises written in Athens mention coal mining by metal workers. Romans in Britian and Rhineland seemed to have made some limited use of coal as well but it would have beem mostly for making bronze and maybe some early types of iron. Steel was relatively rare until the industrial age and mostly developed accidentally and the science of its production not established. It was a craft and various metal workers over the world created different forms but if you are looking for German tribes the closest in ancient period is likely the roman military steel created in Noricum(Austria/Slovenia). Damascus steel and other types of steel produced in Merv and maybe India was beginning to be scientific in nature by 1100 as some of the Arab writings describe 3-4 different processes to create steel and the merits, costs, and uses of each.
    Excellent stuff. That pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for the info.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Your question was...

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    First question. Was steel made by German tribes at all? I know they were iron poor and I am not sure about their technology in regards to steel making.

Secondly, How did they make the steel if they did have the technology to make it? I suspect most likely it would have been through the use of charcoal for the carbon enrichment but I believe there are/were significant amounts of coal in the ground in those regions. Did they mine and use coal at all or was it entirely based off wood charcoal?
    However, the thread was titled Information on Iron/steel making in and around germania. So, I'm not sure if you are asking about one of the seven major ethnos that occupied greater Germania in the EB time frame, or all of them?
    Last edited by cmacq; 10-26-2010 at 23:53.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

You must first explain to us ignorant masses what these seven ethnos are.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq View Post
    Your question was...

(Blxz said stuff here but the quote won't show)

However, the thread was titled Information on Iron/steel making in and around germania. So, I'm not sure if you are asking about one of the seven major ethnos that occupied greater Germania in the EB time frame, or all of them?
    Nope, thats pretty much needlessly making things more complicated. While the distinction is important when considering this time period and as a historian I am more focused on the geology and mineralogy and in the periods that followed the EB time. Ichon gave me pretty much exactly what i needed to hear and I have done a little more follow on research from there.

Perhaps my title was not spot on but I wanted to be broad enough and didn't actually think that much attention to the wording would be displayed. Otherwise cmacq, if you have some extra information about certain ethnos that may be different from what Ichon has said please feel free to give me a concise summary as well as some recommended reading. The point of this thread was as information gathering.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Blxz; 10-27-2010 at 12:27. Reason: flow
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Perhaps my title was not spot on but I wanted to be broad enough and didn't actually think that much attention to the wording would be displayed. Otherwise cmacq, if you have some extra information about certain ethnos that may be different from what Ichon has said please feel free to give me a concise summary as well as some recommended reading. The point of this thread was as information gathering.
    The reason is as much a difference between day (very high grade) as in the Noric (Celto-Germanic) blade on the one hand, or in the other, night (so very low grade) as in Swabian (proto/common-western Germanic) blade. Although the center of Noric steel was immediately south of the Danube, the Noric Celts were Boii Celts and thus both were Volcae, as Noric weapons ore was widely used in production throughout southwestern Germania before the mid 1st century BC. The method of Noric ore procurement and steel manufacture was so good it inspired the Celtic long sword and later became the center of Roman (that is western or European) arms production. At the other end of the spectrum was early Swabian steel production (if one may be so bold as to call it steel). It was focused (actually its manufacture was anything but concentrated) on the lower Elbe, and its quality was so unbelievably poor, it inspired the Germanic single-edged sword. The main reason this steel was so bad was because of the complex method of the low-grade iron procurement. Also the so-called 'Iron-poor' statement said to have come from Tacitus, is much better rendered as that the Germanics 'sparingly-used iron.' In fact, one of the largest pre- and proto-historic Iron producing regions in Europe was centered on the upper Vistula basin, found well within greater Germania, as defined by Tacitus, in what is today southern Poland. Additionally, in the 1st century AD, this area became the most important steel and arms manufacturing centers anywhere within greater Germania. However, before the 2nd century AD this area was appearently not 'largely' occupied by proto/common-western Germanic types.

In other words, in the ERIA, the upper Vistula had become the bloody ‘Armamentarium Europa Barbarorum,’ or the 'Arsenal of Barbarian Europe.'
    Last edited by cmacq; 10-27-2010 at 22:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    You must first explain to us ignorant masses what these seven ethnos are.
    Rather off topic here, no? OK, heres a bone; in greater Germania as the Romans called an ethnic group of the far north the 'Finns,' for one.
    Last edited by cmacq; 10-27-2010 at 22:03.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

From what I understand, these ethnos would be (with examples of each): Finns, Lugians/West Balts, Istriavones (Volcae, Boii), Herminones (Suebi), Ingaevones (Cimbri, Frisii), Scandinavians (Geats, Danes/Dani, Jutes/Eudoses, and Swedes/Suiones), and Venedi (which seems to have been used as a general term for non-Lugian Balts).
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 10-29-2010 at 16:25.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    From what I understand, these ethnos would be (with examples of each): Finns, Lugians/West Balts, Istriavones (Volcae, Boii), Herminones (Suebi), Ingaevones (Cimbri, Frisii), Scandinavians (Geats, Danes/Dani, Jutes/Eudoses, and Swedes/Suiones), and Venedi (which seems to have been used as a general term for non-Lugian Balts).
    Wenn man so viel voraus hat in der Tat eine viel zu viel vermutet und Nachsicht ist nicht ohne Rand!

Sind wir klar??

Wenn Sie brauchen, um Ihr Können als Forscher beweisen, brauche ich eine individuelle Fähigkeit zur Keramik-und Begräbnis Informationen zu finden. Wenn diese kleine Aufgabe ist zu weit unten, dann bitte Ärger diesem Thema mit dem, was die meisten privaten, nicht weiter!
    Last edited by cmacq; 10-30-2010 at 22:46.

I´m wondering what kind of language this is? It sounds German, but it actually isn´t *hmm*
    - 10 mov. points :P

What? lol... my German is not as good as it used to be but I can understand almost everything he said no problem so I'm sure its German. Why do you think it isn't?

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

There are alot of Dutch speaking members at the org, maybe that's the confusion?
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Wenn man so viel voraus hat in der Tat eine viel zu viel vermutet und Nachsicht ist nicht ohne Rand!

Sind wir klar??

Wenn Sie brauchen, um Ihr Können als Forscher beweisen, brauche ich eine individuelle Fähigkeit zur Keramik-und Begräbnis Informationen zu finden. Wenn diese kleine Aufgabe ist zu weit unten, dann bitte Ärger diesem Thema mit dem, was die meisten privaten, nicht weiter!
    Well, the words are German, and one could extrapolate some sense out of them, but it sounds like if you speak a language using another one´s grammar as basics; this actually sounds like a translation by a "machine".
    - 10 mov. points :P

Quote Originally Posted by vollorix View Post
    Well, the words are German, and one could extrapolate some sense out of them, but it sounds like if you speak a language using another one´s grammar as basics; this actually sounds like a translation by a "machine".
    Ah- yeah I see what you mean. I thought maybe German isn't his first language. I sometimes sound like that when I speak it because I haven't lived there in at least 12 years and while I remember vocabulary I forget the grammar rules.

I hope, none have found my German usage, overly obtuse? Although not to draw too fine a point, the attention it claims, I must say in deed, has served us well.

Nonetheless, Deutsche Grammatik has never been my strong suit.
    Last edited by cmacq; 11-01-2010 at 03:37.

I hope, none have found my German usage, overly obtuse? Although not to draw too fine a point, the attention it claims, I must say in deed, has served us well.

Nonetheless, Deutsche Grammatik has never been my strong suit.
    Still got no idea what it means.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Dås isch in dr Tåt ziëmlich konfus.

Sind wir klar??
    That's an Anglicism ("are we clear?"). The correct form would be "Klar soweit?" or "Hast/Haben du/Sie mich verstanden?". The latter though is distinctly un-friendly in this context, while the former is colloquial.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Dås isch in dr Tåt ziëmlich konfus.

That's an Anglicism ("are we clear?"). The correct form would be "Klar soweit?" or "Hast/Haben du/Sie mich verstanden?". The latter though is distinctly un-friendly in this context, while the former is colloquial.
    Thank you, but lets not gloss over this 'Iron/Steel Thing.'

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    There are alot of Dutch speaking members at the org, maybe that's the confusion?
    Dutch looks different. You can tell at a glance which is which using the fact that German uses capitals, umlauts and the like much more often.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 11-02-2010 at 02:40.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.