Thread: Naval combat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Default Naval combat

Hey all,

So I figured I'd brush off my copy of Empire and give it another go. One thing that always seems to frustrate me is naval combat. A bit ironic, I suppose, since I'm in the navy... although as a corpsman not a line officer. Any strategy y'all find useful?

To me it seems that one must rely on numbers and size rather than finesse. Which sometimes I find a bit disappointing. I'm trying to find battle techniques that add that extra element of skill.

Yoyoma

edit:

Oops, I didn't realize there was a sub forum here, and it looks like there's already some discussion going on towards this end. Apologies.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 11-07-2010 at 23:01.

My kingdom for a .

Default Re: Naval combat

You have done very well. Its good, you can start next version of that.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I'm by no means an expert. I'm now in my first campaign where I focus on naval battles.

The most important thing in naval battles is the weather gauge. You want to be between the origin of the wind and your enemy as much as possible. In other words your opponents should have to go into the wind to get to you. This will give you the best chance to get into a good position and hammer the enemy's ships before they can retaliate.

Some more specific advice:
    - Try to turn with the wind, it'll go faster. If you need to turn the other way around, make sure you have enough momentum.
    - Don't be afraid to make a giant detour if it means you can take the weather gauge
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

im so bad at it i have to auto resolve everything. i mean im horrendous.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Start with smaller fleet battles and try to have ships that outclass your enemy. Great Britian is a good starting point. Don't take on the pirates before you have a decent fleet either.
    Silence is beautiful

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

i practice with the custom battles but literally stand no chance. ive gotten to the point where i can beat a sloop with a heavy first.......

no but really i lose if its like a sloop vs. sloop or first rate vs. first rate.

and i almost always lose if its two vs. 2