Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shogun totalwar multiplayer plans revealed...!!

The Puppet King Senior Member AggonyKing's Avatar

Default Re: Shogun totalwar multiplayer plans revealed...!!

the movement in that game looks so messy :P *subscribes*

anyway, although I agree with you I am trying to think positively as I don't think CA are going to take the buildings out at all :( Mind you that gen bonuses in ntw do expire on a unit after a a while. So if the follow this same process, increased archer range (or any other random bonus) wouldn't be that much of a problem or not as effective. You can either move back and wait it out, etc (btw totally speculating on bonuses just for idea purposes :P ) I also don't see a problem with this type of bonus if the balance to it (and the rest of the bonuses) is applied correctly. I'm accostumed to facing missile units with higher range than mine's. Its all about adjusting, but I hope CA does release a bunch of maps (20 at least :D ) for tourney support with no crazy buildings or any other shenanigans.

btw are you going to be uploading more movement replays? they're kinda interesting to look at :P

"Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare."
    Any man can make a mistake; only a fool keeps making the same one.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well at least I hope the MP sieges are good.

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyKing View Post
    the movement in that game looks so messy :P *subscribes*

anyway, although I agree with you I am trying to think positively as I don't think CA are going to take the buildings out at all :( Mind you that gen bonuses in ntw do expire on a unit after a a while. So if the follow this same process, increased archer range (or any other random bonus) wouldn't be that much of a problem or not as effective. You can either move back and wait it out, etc (btw totally speculating on bonuses just for idea purposes :P ) I also don't see a problem with this type of bonus if the balance to it (and the rest of the bonuses) is applied correctly. I'm accostumed to facing missile units with higher range than mine's. Its all about adjusting, but I hope CA does release a bunch of maps (20 at least :D ) for tourney support with no crazy buildings or any other shenanigans.

btw are you going to be uploading more movement replays? they're kinda interesting to look at :P
    I can't wait as well! Well, in shogun 1, you had a dozen maps according to a province... Anyhow, i just hope that on the multiplayer campaign map, you don't fight a random oponent, because it would be a skirmish, without any real strategical objectives. That's probably the major drawback of the "risk" map, where you actualy have a strategical objective to achieve!

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    One word TWC there all raving about camping over there :D way to go to make much ado about nothing and send ca off on the wrong track. Some of the guys posting this crap have said in other threads theyre thinking to try mp for the first time in shogun 2 weeeeeeee
    Not only TWC though, its a bit on TW.com as well, though most of it had been aiming at ETW. Which kinda makes a bit sense (though I obviously don't agree) the way CA works, being a version inbetween.

Also, though this might be just a hunch, it is possible they changed their coding into a different and more effecient format simply to streamline their stuff and perhaps be more compatible with Steam. Sucks to be a modder but as a result it may end up in better stability and smoother gameplay.

I enjoyed the replay Swoosh, I even started to watch some of my own replays zoomed out all the way. Especially naval battles turn out to be funny, as its like circles trying to swirl around and into each other. :)

Don't want to say too much about these buildings anymore, as it is really turning into a tiresome and annoying topic. It sucks, but its not like CA will listen on this matter. Hehehe it may result into more camping actually, as one may not want to move into combat facing an enemy holding the building, while he doesn't want to move in either afraid to loose said bonus.
    Last edited by Tempiic; 12-14-2010 at 02:00.

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempiic View Post
    Don't want to say too much about these buildings anymore, as it is really turning into a tiresome and annoying topic. It sucks, but its not like CA will listen on this matter. Hehehe it may result into more camping actually, as one may not want to move into combat facing an enemy holding the building, while he doesn't want to move in either afraid to loose said bonus.
    See that's the problem. People camp now because either they have a position which they think is unassailable (its really not) or they are just inexperienced. It cant be changed now, true enough, but I do think that one of two things will happen with the buildings. Either they will lead to building huggers or they will be like the farmhouse at the actual Battle of Waterloo which was fought over, with high casualties on both sides, and was the key position on the Waterloo battlefield.

Obviously its the latter that CA is shooting for but I'm afraid that we will see people hugging buildings as a sort of crutch.
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Unfortunately, the kinds of details you all want to know are the boring things that don't generate much interest beyond a relatively small group of old STW players. Those details lack the "wow" factor and don't generate interest in the game or in readers of the article. Did we get the kinds of details you are asking for in the STW previews? I don't think so. It was stuff about unit and individual AI and how Sun Tzu's rules are programmed into the game.

I also don't think CA is stupid and will intentionally allow gross imbalances to happen in the game. My biggest concern - and probably a concern for most games in general - is that the testing be sufficient enough to reveal flaws and exploits that the wider community of tens of thousands of gamers will find six hours after the game is released that the beta testers did not find if they are not good or imaginative enough.
    This space intentionally left blank

but... but... The biggest "wow" factor to me are the smallest improvements on controls, units, maps, and everything that is core to the battles and improving the replayability. The SP campaign improvements and MP addons are just extras... more so the SP improvments, but in the end just extras. I mean what's TW without good replayable battles... battles you want to keep going into? :)

I've played way to many RTS/TBRTS games with great ideas to them, but their core to the game was flawed and it seems that they were hoping to sell a lot of copies based mostly on their idea and a little flash with it and hoping to get away with little effort in fixing what made the game really replayable.

TW is lucky to have its core not flawed to much and sells the rest off with a lot of flash and have become good at it therefore making them the best on the market right now.

Heres some music to your ears guys!

IanRox Ca quote:

Hi all,

I just thought I'd jump in and confirm a few things for you all:

1) There is full lobby chat. And clan chat.
    2) There is a full 'classic total war' mode which works in the same way that TW MP always has. Key buildings will be able to be disabled by the host in this mode.

I hope this clarifies things for you all

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Blog Entries

IanRox Ca quote:

Hi all,

2) There is a full 'classic total war' mode which works in the same way that TW MP always has. Key buildings will be able to be disabled by the host in this mode.

Chat lobby.... Jesus Christ thank you...

This games starting to get me really excited with the new infos coming out, sounds like it could be one of the best mp releases of the series and being the first totalwar game to be a 3rd generation of the same engine im really expecting big things!!

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

IanRox Ca quote:

Hi all,

They are catering to all, which is the best way to go about it. To be honest I was somewhat excited about the new MP, but if it turns out to be crappy, we can always go back to the original.

Most excellent and exciting.

now I will get this game for sure

how exciting!

Sweet! Im in. See you maniacs on the battlefields.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Trying to teach my daughter STW1. Hope she gets good before STW2 comes out. :)
    By the way, good to see you all again.
    The strength of my arms, the power of my soul, the valour of my men... These all belong to the Fear Clan. I'm ready to fight in the name of the clan.
    Shogun 2 on Facebook

Hey! my old totalwar mentor :D great to see you fucy! Im sure under your guidance she will become and honorable warrior :) Hope lifes still being great to you! Would be nice to see you back in shogun2 for a wee game now and then!

Buddha

And there was much rejoicing...
    This space intentionally left blank

Ouch! stop throwing rocks at me swoosh! the lobby is intact. my head on the choping block. I surrender! :) good news. :D :D :D
    I obey the rose.

Honour and Friendship

IanRox Ca quote:

Hi all,

Great news

Waves to Fucy welcome back :)
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

Heh. I am still baffled and very confused about what to post now. :)

Map creator harrassment? they havnt mentioned that?

:P
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

Oh yes. Just let me catch my breath first. :)

i say we complain at the lack of a MP Beta from now on >_>

Heh it is strange having most requests fulfilled pre release :) Ca have done a great job so far on shogun 2 it has to be said.

Buddha

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

IanRox Ca quote:

Hi all,

After feeling so 'down' with all the negative vibes this news has now really cheered me up.
    Looking forward to the release date now.

And a big 'hello' to Fucy. Long time no see.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

@King
    Lol! Stop while your ahead. Or damn the torpedos!

@SwooshSo
    Indeed. Maybe some MP gameplay or something like that. They say that MP is the next big thing for Shogun 2 and yet all weve seen is a Dev vs. AI seige, in the rain, in the dark. How about a daytime fight between just a few units in the daytime. Dont get me wrong, the weather effects look great, and the fire arrows are some real nice eye candy but lets face it; most of the MP battles probably wont be sieges.

And we've yet to see if the weather does truly affect the battlefield. 'That hill we're marching up sure is slippery, what with it being the rainy/monsoon season here in Japan and all Tai-Sho. And during the winter it will be kind of slick too, sir.' says the marching samurai. Do soldiers and horse slip and fall occationally in the elements? Will wind and rain affect archer accuracy and range?

Obviously, these questions are small potatos compared to the fact that CA seemed to have really taken the creme-de-la-crem of the MP suggestions over the years and developed a system that really harkens back to the Glory Days of the love affair that started 10 years ago with Shogun. I say pip pip hooray....if it all works.

No, in all seriousnes I think that if it all works out, with the lobbys being restored, the MP and the SP changes, as well as the very, very, intresting Clan Warfare and Ladder systems I read about, well, it sounds truly epic! And epic, is EXACTLY what any Total War game or expansion should strive to be.

Perhaps the above adulations are premature, perhaps not. But you have to admit that it seems that for one of those rare momensts in time, a company really listened to their customers and fanbase. And maybe, just maybe, squeezed out a gem.
    Last edited by Phog_of_War; 12-16-2010 at 00:02. Reason: Bkause A khent sepll
    <=== Member since 2000

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

well even on a plain grass map i doubt the ai will be tested good enuf, the devs just arent good enough i think.... and when it comes to seasonal weather effects im in favour of that although it should be kept playable..... gameplay>realism

hey schumster... ;)
    Last edited by Magyar Khan; 12-18-2010 at 14:37. Reason: an hello to the ugliest of them all :o)
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

I would think the most important "core" requests would be filled first and promoted and that would be the biggest "wow" factor for everyone, but I guess I'm an outdated old doggy who misses the old school games that were simple near perfect balance and had yrs of replayability.

Blog Entries

What's the big deal about grassy flatland?

grassy is the best map for no terrain advantage for any side. each side starts off equal. The only thing that would make a difference is how each team builds their armies.
    I obey the rose.

Honour and Friendship

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast