Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Marriage an Outdated concept?

Default Re: Is Marriage an Outdated concept?

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    It is truly insane. If I were Paul I'd have had Heather put down.

I've honestly never understood that Anglican practice....

If you divorce your wife in England, are you required to pay her a % of your wage "just because"? Or is it just to fund your children? Or what?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I've honestly never understood that Anglican practice....

If you divorce your wife in England, are you required to pay her a % of your wage "just because"? Or is it just to fund your children? Or what?
    There have even been some cases where wives have tried to "trap" their husband to living in England long enough to get divorced here for the settlement.

I honestly don't think that there is an explanation that I understand: if a wife gives up her job, she doesn't get what she could reasonably have expected, but instead suddenly gets a percentage of what hubby was on (great for the young secretary who bags the manager). Oh, and a slice of the pension of course. Kids? Wife gets those and the dad gets to take part in their upbringing by paying for everything...

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

The concept of marriage as a civil institution is an outdated concept. The concept of marriage in the spiritual and cultural sense is not. Civil unions for all - everyone should have a key man/woman whether they are sexual partners or not. After I got the civil union I would get married in a Catholic Church, though...
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't have a civil union either.

I want no mention of my love life in the official records of my state.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

what about the benefits?
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There shouldn't be any.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why Couples need benefits anyway when it is the single adults which need them. In a partnership, you have two incomes so basically everything is "half-price" as it is shared. As a single adult, it is only you, so you have to pay full price for everything. Infact, the biggest example for this is when you go on holiday. As you only pay for the room which caters for two people, you effectively pay double the price than a couple.

When you start adding up all the maths, you can clearly see that sharing with someone else is a benefit within itself.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Indeed.

Food is another very good example. As a single person, you basically have two choices: eat the same for days and have little food variety, or throw away 30-50% of your food.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I wouldn't have a civil union either.

I want no mention of my love life in the official records of my state.
    What, you don't trust the state? Are you being a bad little commie?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    What, you don't trust the state? Are you being a bad little commie?
    Being an anarchist, no. Don't see how that's surprisinh though...

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I don't see how anarchism is consistent with the rest of the views you express on these boards...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I don't see how anarchism is consistent with the rest of the views you express on these boards...
    Social anarchism. On the economic side of life I'm all for public solutions and government ownership. But when it comes to peoples private life and social control, I belive in as few laws as possible. And I have never had even the slightest bit of respect for "authority".

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

So you're not actually an anarchist...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

As far as this thread is concerned, yes, I am...

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I don't understand why Couples need benefits anyway when it is the single adults which need them. In a partnership, you have two incomes so basically everything is "half-price" as it is shared. As a single adult, it is only you, so you have to pay full price for everything. Infact, the biggest example for this is when you go on holiday. As you only pay for the room which caters for two people, you effectively pay double the price than a couple.

When you start adding up all the maths, you can clearly see that sharing with someone else is a benefit within itself.
    You're under no obligation whatsoever to remain single

As for benefits: married couples don't have benefits granted by the state here. No tax cuts because you're married. No social benefits because you're married. In fact, if you're married, the combined income of both partners is usually too high to get any kind of benefits. The fact that certain expenses are easier to carry, because you're with two, well, what can I say. It's a sad and bitter man who is jealous about that. What do you propose then? A marriage tax that pays for the rent of single men and women
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    You're under no obligation whatsoever to remain single
    Shouldn't that be the other way round? Not being single is a consensual choice of two people... you can't just decide not to be 'not single'
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Shouldn't that be the other way round? Not being single is a consensual choice of two people... you can't just decide not to be 'not single'
    Sure you can. It's called growing a pair of balls and going out to find a girlfriend. Keep asking women out until one of them says yes, adjusting your approach and style to take into account previous failures. It's pretty much a fool-proof method.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Sure you can. It's called growing a pair of balls and going out to find a girlfriend. Keep asking women out until one of them says yes, adjusting your approach and style to take into account previous failures. It's pretty much a fool-proof method.
    But I actually have standards. I could go out and get a girlfriend, but it would not be a compatible match. I want a female with a brain, and with appreciation of History, perhaps even interested in playing a few computer games too, and doesn't look like a shebear, this is proven even more difficult due to the area I am currently working in, where the only place of intelligentsia is the Hospital (where I work). This is most evident by the fact 90% of females in the local area when asked "Who is Churchill?" will reply with "Isn't he the nodding dog on TV?" Then girls I am interested have in the past, unfortunately been not-single (legitimitely).
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-20-2010 at 18:10.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

But I actually have standards. I could go out and get a girlfriend, but it would not be a compatible match. I want a female with a brain, and with appreciation of History, perhaps even interested in playing a few computer games too, and doesn't look like a shebear, this is proven even more difficult due to the area I am currently working in, where the only place of intelligentsia is the Hospital (where I work). This is most evident by the fact 90% of females in the local area when asked "Who is Churchill?" will reply with "Isn't he the nodding dog on TV?" Then girls I am interested have in the past, unfortunately been not-single (legitimitely).
    It sounds to me like you're limiting yourself too much. Just because someone doesn't have the same exact interests as you at the moment doesn't mean you aren't compatible. First, perhaps the person would be interested in those things, but hasn't really been exposed to them. For instance, I'm a hardcore gamer and filmsnob, but my wife did not play games and did not have much knowledge about cinema when I met her. She is now a gamer and loves movies almost as much as I do. People change, so a lack of present interest in a certain area shouldn't be a reason not to date someone.

Second, keep in mind that ignorance is not the same as stupidity. There are many people in the world who are intelligent but simply haven't been exposed to the same amount of education that you have. I also love History, but it's just one of those areas which, for various reasons, very few people learn much about. A person who is currently ignorant about history is not necessarily a person who is uninterested in history. IMHO, curiosity is a far more important trait than actual knowledge. Knowledge can be gained at any time, but the drive to gain it is hard to spark.

Third, opposites attract. Having things in common is important in a relationship, but it's also important to be different. When people have some different aspects, those differences make the other person more interesting and unique. Differences can be a very positive thing and can encourage a person to break out of their shell and experience new things which they never would have done before. The goal of a relationship is not to find someone who is your long-lost identical twin, it is to find someone who is compatible. Often times those who have the most difficulty finding a partner need a partner that is 'different' from them more than anyone else.

Finally, even if a person isn't right for you, the simple fact that you're dating various people expands your social horizons and allows you to meet people you otherwise wouldn't. Perhaps the girl you ask out isn't the right person for you, but maybe while dating her you'll meet someone who is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Finally, even if a person isn't right for you, the simple fact that you're dating various people expands your social horizons and allows you to meet people you otherwise wouldn't. Perhaps the girl you ask out isn't the right person for you, but maybe while dating her you'll meet someone who is.
    Hah, one time that happened, it really bite me back hard and people in that social circle. I was sort of seeing someone, but I ended up closer with her friend, so I broke it off with the earlier one (we didn't anywhere anyway, it was like we met up some where casually, not even kissed). Anyway, this friend wanted it more on the quiet, as she didn't want to upset her friend, so the original girl got really jealous (when she found out four or five weeks later) and got what I would term "bat 'hit crazy", and completely devastated a circle of friends, as they ended up being pulled in opposite directions.

I have dated people, but it has always ended up going horribly wrong, at no real fault of my own. I probably have been limiting myself too much, that I agree, but I have expanded my horizons far more to those who at least interest me, even though they don't currently share my interests.

Yes.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Possibly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123