Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Required system specs

Default Re: Required system specs

Last thing I'd do is spend a gutsfull of money chasing a game.

That sounds kinda funny coming from someone who has dedicated as much time and effort to TW as you Orda.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

If you can play ntw you should be able to play stw2 fine.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by gollum
    That sounds kinda funny coming from someone who has dedicated as much time and effort to TW as you Orda.
    Does it? I couldn't care less, it's a fact. If you are prepared to keep spending your cash keeping up with the next release, that's your choice.

Yeah, i'll remember you warned me, thanks.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

My experience is when I usually update memory, unless it's really minimal, or a graphics card- I'm usually disapointed with the results. What I usulally do is replace the cpu if the motherboard can be upgraded. If it can't then I'll usually spring for both.
    "This is no way for a leader to behave, but in battle it's beyond belief."

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I've got an old Conroe Core2Duo, which I think will manage, and an ATI 4870. Six gigs of RAM (mostly salvaged from another machine), so no worries there.

Also, I felt very, very loved when I saw this email in my inbox: "You've received a gift copy of the game Total War: Shogun 2 (preorder) on Steam."

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I hope my 6 gig of RAM and Video Card can run the game or I be going into forced retirement.

My poor Q6600 can't cope. My Nvidia 9800GT won't help either.

I don't want to re-install Windows due to updating the motherboard, so I'm out, I guess. Not worth for just one game. I'll play this years later, as I did with Medieval 2, which I also skipped until right before the release of ETW.

I hope it's not the graphics that call for that much CPU power. I'm happy with M2 level of detail.

Oh well, back to Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress, etc. Long live low-rez gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan View Post
    Last thing I'd do is spend a gutsfull of money chasing a game.
    Me neither.

My old system MB doesn't support anything higher than the C2D 6xxx and I'm currently have the E6600. The only CPU that is better would be the X6800 (but I heard much problem with stability). The MB has an early 1.0 PCIe which does not support many of the newer 2.0 cards. That will limit the stock I can choose from. My newer laptop would have much better chance since it has i5 460M, 6 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 550v with 1GB of VRAM. If that won't do (at least at medium setting), then STW2 will be out of my league.

Quote Originally Posted by Jappa View Post
    Ahhh, unfortunately I have a laptop.. a VAIO......

Is there no way I can upgrade my laptop at all to suit STW?
    Jappa, you may want to look here at the ViDock

http://www.villagetronic.com/e_products.html

gets good reviews from what I've seen. Maybe worth a look if youre a long term laptop user.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Also, I felt very, very loved when I saw this email in my inbox: "You've received a gift copy of the game Total War: Shogun 2 (preorder) on Steam."

Who did that for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

Who did that for you?
    A chick. For Valentine's Day. 'Nuff said.

Hail Gentlemen,

On this page here if you scroll down half way you will notice a little tool to help people see if their system can handle STW2 and how well it will handle it. I'm getting a new rig but I actually needed a new desktop for a LONG time now.

Here is the page:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...%20Total%20War
    Also Known As: RTKPaul
    "I dont want you to die for your country, no poor son of a bitch ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor son of a bitch die for his country"- George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DthB4Dishonor View Post
    Hail Gentlemen,

On this page here if you scroll down half way you will notice a little tool to help people see if their system can handle STW2 and how well it will handle it. I'm getting a new rig but I actually needed a new desktop for a LONG time now.

Here is the page:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...%20Total%20War
    hmm, this link doesnt work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    hmm, this link doesnt work for me.
    Hail Kocmoc,

Long time no see. I double checked and the link is definitely working for me. Not sure why its not working for you. Has anyone else been tried the link?
    Also Known As: RTKPaul
    "I dont want you to die for your country, no poor son of a bitch ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor son of a bitch die for his country"- George S. Patton

The link worked for me but the way the tool works is odd - after each input, the page refreshes to the top of the screen and you have to scroll back down to the tool location to continue with the next input...just a little annoying. However, the good news is that if the tool is correct, I can play TWS2 with the graphics set to "very high".
    This space intentionally left blank

The app doesn't like my CPU. Hey man, I've gotten good mileage out of my Core2Duo 6600. It's not old, it's a classic. Grumble grumble grumble.

My Intel i5-760 scored a 7, the Nvidia GTX460 scored a 9 and 4 gigs of ram scored a 7. This lead to cpu, gpu and ram scores of 100%. Which in turn generated the comment "Medium to high settings - This system should have little trouble with Shogun 2: Total War."

It didn't say "Crank everything to the max!" It said "should have little trouble". Ay caramba...
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Hay guys. I have been reading many different forums on Shogun 2 and yes, I'm an addict to all total war games. I don't usually post much because rarely I don't find the information myself.

The reason I have sneaked out from my cave is to simply post a response to looking at this site

"game-debate.com/games/ind...%20Total%20War"

Just a simple heads up, its crap. I don't know what they think about the other game requirements but these requirements they expect of you is way off, you don't need a over all top end system to play shogun 2. there is even a forum about its requirements in the official forums of shogun 2. So any of you guys with even a dual core processor could run this game at med settings at best if you have other hardware components that help this, like 6+ gigs of ramm (ddr2, after all, ddr3 is really not that different, hence at all, lol!), windows 7 64-bit, ect. I have a Intel core 2 quad processor (Q9400) and with my hardware/software, I can run any of the total wars that has been released, at max everything with no lag. I suspect these people have alternative motives or are simply THAT bad when it comes down to computer knowledge. I am sure they are great guys/girls irl and I wish them no ill will, but its just a fact.

So, people on a budget, fear not and ask HardwareMaster (official forums for STW 2 sticky) for any help. If anyone wants to ask here about their specs ill check back here a few times to help even with system building.

I don't normally do this but I despise misleading, particularly when it involves money.

Oh, and hello every one!

Welcome and thanks for de-lurking sugam. I approached that system requirement tool with some skepticism and am treating my results as nothing more than it whispering sweet nothings into my ear.

BTW, here is a link to the thread sugam referred to: The Official (Can my PC run Shogun 2) Thread.

Gar, ya I was tired and tried to post links but could not on my first post, but it was to prevent spammers and that's great, I hate spammers too. I was really freaking tired and was in a near drunk like stooper so I was not that clear and probably should have shared my full specs.

My basic specs are:

Evga FTW 780i with a Intel core quad processor running at 2.g Ghz.
    8 gigs of Corsair ramm (the ddr2 type)
    GTX 560 TI in SLI format (x2) they are basically 1 gig cards but they are sick
    Windows 7 64-bit
    850 watt PSU

My ramm is old as hell but they are a factory matched set and buying a new set would show little improvement. The only really expensive part is the two cards I bought a few weeks ago. Before them I had a pair of gtx 260 (my third one was given to my girlfriend cause her computer sucks and it hurts to watch her play wow at such bad frame rates) Before these video cards I was running ETW at near max everything. I only turned off shadows completely (they are not that good maxed out anyways) and AA at x8 and water detail at high. That's it.

humm.......soka....

*runs back into the dark corner*

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

Sugam, glad to see you made it here!
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Bummer, my Dell XPS M1530 looks like it's not so hot:

"This system setup is probably not going to be able to run Shogun 2: Total War. Time for an..."

Hopefully they release a demo so I can still give it a shot. If not I'll probably be playing Rome and Medieval 2 for the next couple years...

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    Hopefully they release a demo so I can still give it a shot...
    The demo will be released on February 22 - just a few more days to wait.

That's great news, thanks for letting me know.

with a Dell XPS M1530...I hate to tell ya you would be lucky to play it at the lowest settings.
    Its also a 2007 laptop. You should have been thinking of upgrading around 2010, if that's possible. I know its hard times for a lot of people, Im one of them.

Did you go with the 2 or 4 gig's of ramm. (the systems max is 4 gigs, isn't dell great!)
    Also the video card running with 256 megs is hurting it.
    Not to mention that laptops just don't perform as well as desktops when comparing similar builds.

its close so its hard to say at minim settings but I don't think it would be a good experience ether way. But, there is that demo. The demo will run better then the full game of shogun 2 but it will give you in idea and there is always NTW and ETW to compare it to. Gar, I hate bad news. Well, I wish you luck with it.
    Last edited by sugam; 02-19-2011 at 17:19.

Actually my XPS is from Jan 2009. It has a Core2Duo, no Quad support. It does have 4GB with 8GB max. And the video card is the Nvidia 8600M GT. With 256MB of memory, but it can turbocache and use the main memory. Right now it reports 1.5GB of mem available to the card. Yeah, it has limitations all around.

It runs SC2 at medium fine. So it will be interesting to see how the demo fares...

No worries, Rome and Medieval 2 will probably keep me entertained for another two years. :-)

so, its using virtual memory then for the video card. You got a better version then the original make so that's good. The video card I think would hold it back the most but I think you have a shot of at lest running it, have you not empires or what not, to play on it?

Okay, I'm downloading it.

* 6GB for a demo, are you kidding me?!

* I had to create a Steam account. Par for the course, but I'm not happy about it. I'll post here if the demo works on my laptop.

Addendum: Well, surprisingly it runs. It auto detected the video settings and set them to low. And it wouldn't even allow me to tweak settings. It looks pretty crappy. I'm not sure if it's worse than Rome though. Water was garbage and detail on units were low, but other stuff was decent. Perhaps equivalent to Rome on medium settings? The look and feel is weird though. Ambiance is definitely different.
    40 seconds load time to the main menu. I started the historical battle, which appears to have about 3000+ units on screen. It took about 30 seconds to load the battle. I just mashed units against one another and scrolled around zooming in and out. I'm not sure what my framerate was but there wasn't detectable lag. So far it looks promising.

Will I play it? No, not now. I'm too busy seeing what I missed the past 9 years. I'll wait for all you beta testers and patching to get done first. ;-) I'll wait for some of your reviews of online multiplayer experiences, then perhaps pick it up strictly for online later this year.
    Last edited by Risasi; 02-25-2011 at 19:21.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast