Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Electiageddon Electopolypse Now: A Field Guide to the Repubs

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Post 2012 Electiageddon Electopolypse Now: A Field Guide to the Repubs

Nate Silver does a nice round-up of the potential Repub candidates. I know it's a bit early for this sort of thing, but I thought it worth discussing. GOP Orgahs, whom do you like? Dislike? Reasons?

One can certainly debate exactly what it means to be a moderate or a conservative, and exactly where any particular candidate falls along this spectrum. Likewise, the insider/outsider dimension is somewhat blurry: is a potential candidate like Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina, who aligns himself with the Tea Party but is also an influential senator, a part of the Republican establishment or an opponent of it? So my placement of the candidates is necessarily approximate.

With that said, it is exceptionally important to consider how the candidates are positioned relative to one another. Too often, I see analyses of candidates that operate through what I’d call a checkbox paradigm, tallying up individual candidates’ strengths and weaknesses but not thinking deeply about how they will compete with one another for votes. If you like, you can think of the circles on my chart as stars or planets that exert gravitational forces on one another, seeking to clear their own safe space in the galaxy while at the same time stealing matter (voters) from their opponents.

There are two more kinds of information embedded in the chart. First, the area of each candidate’s circle is proportional to their perceived likelihood of winning the nomination, according to the Intrade betting market. Mitt Romney’s circle is drawn many times the size of the one for the relatively obscure talk-radio host Herman Cain because Intrade rates Mr. Romney many times as likely to be nominated. [...]

[T]he color of each circle reflects the region the candidate is from: blue for the Northeast, red for the South, green for the Midwest, and yellow for the West.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2012 Electiageddon Electopolypse Now: A Field Guide to the Repubs

Electiageddon? I like that word. A lot.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

One thing that always intrigues me about America is the idea that candidates may be picked that appeal to a narrow base in there parties,but then find they lack appeal nationally. How would you all say the respective candidates poll nationally versus inside the party
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    One thing that always intrigues me about America is the idea that candidates may be picked that appeal to a narrow base in there parties,but then find they lack appeal nationally. How would you all say the respective candidates poll nationally versus inside the party
    That's because America is so polarized between the rightists and the even more rightists.
    But an interesting question, at the moment though the Democrats may support a whackier candidate just because they hope it makes him/the Republicans more likely to lose in the end.

I'm intrigued by Romney getting the biggest blob, should make TuffStuff happy but I thought hardly anyone liked the guy last time?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Anybody but Romney, please. The guy is a hairdo and looks phonier than a bad photocopy of a three-dollar bill.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Jon Stewart is gonna have a field day with this bunch of genius.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Spare me please.

It is traditional for the voters to select the least bad candidate.

If there is a Politician or a Party you think you like you just haven’t done enough research.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Argh.

No thanks on Palin, Barbour, Guliani, or Gingrich.

I haven't studied Pawlenty, and he might be acceptable.

But my favorite is Johnson.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

That has to be one of the best thread titles ever, although the award still goes to Faisal's 'HOT HOPLITE ACTION'

Out of any of the Republican candidates I would actually favor either Ron Paul or Romney.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Out of any of the Republican candidates I would actually favor either Ron Paul or Romney.
    You should check out Johnson. I think he will get Paul's endorsement, as IIRC Paul isn't running.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    You should check out Johnson. I think he will get Paul's endorsement, as IIRC Paul isn't running.

CR
    I know Johnson. He is terrible. He replaced Russ Feingold which was a travesty, considering he refused to talk to the media and let his money buy enough advertisements to victory. His speeches are nothing but Tea Party rhetoric. He is a terrible candidate.

Blog Entries

I think you may be talking about a different Johnson; I'm talking about the former governor of New Mexico.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

I think you may be talking about a different Johnson; I'm talking about the former governor of New Mexico.

CR
    Whoops my bad. This other Johnson seems much better yes. He has enough sense to speak publicly about ending the war on drugs.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Still a Romney fan. I am literally a card carrying member of the Mitt Romney Fan Club (his PAC).

Pawlenty I wouldn't have to hold my nose for, Huntsman I like, I would vote for Ron Paul if I had a few in me. I'd vote for Thune if I had to, but I think he's a lightweight - same for Huckabee who irritates me and Barbour who has boss hoss written all over him. I love Rick Santorum, but he wouldn't pass anyones test. I would never vote for Daniels, Pataki or Giuliani in the primary but I would probably vote yay in the general. Trump is scum, Palin is a massive disappointment, and Gingrich is a washed up freak. Bachman is a bit creepy. Jim DeMint and Johnson I couldn't care less about.

I'd like to see how Christie or even Paul Ryan would start polling, even though I know they haven't come far enough just yet. Hopefully Ryan wins Herb Kohl's seat at the next chance because representatives don't have a realistic chance.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 02-06-2011 at 02:50.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like a number of people on that list, especially Johnson, Daniels, and Thune; but in terms of a candidate who could actually win a national election, I support Pawlenty. He is intelligent, articulate, and has a strong record of governing in a traditionally blue state. He is also interested in tackling big issues such as debt and entitlements instead of divisive and ultimately unimportant wedge issues. I think he could bring a level of managerial competence back to the White House.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 02-06-2011 at 03:39.

Changed my mind, I want this guy to be the Republican candidate:

As a Utahn I'm kinda partial to Jon Huntsman because I think he did a pretty good job as governor of the state but I need to be more educated before I know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Changed my mind, I want this guy to be the Republican candidate:

I bet he got his Master of Communication in the Army.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Still a Romney fan. I am literally a card carrying member of the Mitt Romney Fan Club
    That Romney is exactly the type of guy that gets caught strapped up in leather with a male hooker in a random rundown motel in Nevada. That boy's butt looks way to clean

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    That Romney is exactly the type of guy that gets caught strapped up in leather with a male hooker in a random rundown motel in Nevada. That boy's butt looks way to clean
    Normally yes, but he is Mormon. Unless you have met them you wouldn't understand. They really are super clean and cut and proper like that.

Blog Entries

Johnson (R-NM) Hands Down.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Three words:

Dig. Up. Reagan.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

i like mitt romney quite a bit. i was a fan in the last primaries. however, americans probably will never vote in a mormon. too many people get the willies around them because their religion is...... yeah complete bull but yah know. But he is a good politician who was actually quite popular in mass. which is so blue its purple.

a like pawlenty as well.

i think an up and comer though he isnt going to be running for president fro wuite awhile at least is bobby jindall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Wow, he looks better in death than he did in life.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Three words:

Dig. Up. Reagan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    * immediately presents video of digged up Reagan *
    Oh God I love the internet, I love it!
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    i like mitt romney quite a bit. i was a fan in the last primaries. however, americans probably will never vote in a mormon. too many people get the willies around them because their religion is...... yeah complete bull but yah know. But he is a good politician who was actually quite popular in mass. which is so blue its purple.

a like pawlenty as well.

i think an up and comer though he isnt going to be running for president fro wuite awhile at least is bobby jindall.
    Just so you know being Mormon doesn't stop you from liking TW games and posting in forums...be careful what you say.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Lighten up Francis

What are you going to do? Stab him? You best be careful or I'm toattly going to flame you!

lolololololololololololololol
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I think you may be talking about a different Johnson
    Oh gosh.....

Quick, someone make a penis joke! I'm all out!
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast