Thread: Republicans make mockery of their "needs to be constitutional" House rule.

Default Republicans make mockery of their "needs to be constitutional" House rule.

This is an hour long. It will make your head hurt.

The tl;dr version can best be summarized from a comment from the website I found this clip from, (Reddit.com).

"TLDS: Anthony Weiner (D - NY) says that the bill presented to the house does not fill the new requirement requiring that the bill establish Congress' constitutional mandate to pass the bill. Joe Barton (R-Texas) claimed that Republicans filed the constitutional mandate required by the new house rules. Anthony Weiner says that the act does not reference any portion of the constitution.
    John Dingell (D - Michigan) adds that the constitutional mandate papers aren't even included with the Bill as its presented with the house. Counsel clarifies that the new rule never stipulated that the constitutional mandate papers had to be presented to the rest of the house, they just needed to be filed. Dingell insists that the rule now be changed so that the filed papers now be required to be presented to the House.
    Barton pulls out his pocket copy of the constitution and says that the constitution says that the legislature is allowed to pass laws to amend other laws, therefore the law has a constitutional mandate. Dingell points out that you can't just pull a mandate out of your ass, you have to point to the mandate that's actually filed...and no one knows what was filed on the paper.
    Counsel then says that the way the Weiner is making his objections (point of order) is not the right way to deal with the rule-violation (according to how the rule was written). It is up to debate, but not point of order. Weiner then argues that the House has to issue with the point of order because it's a fundamental rule of the house.
    Chairman is about to rule on the point of order and then unidentified congressman (can't see his name plate, around 19:07) says it's time for a showdown between the two sides. Unidentified congressman repeats Weiner's point. Barton asks rhetorical question to the counsel about whether Congress has the right to pass laws and therefore whether the point of order presented by Weiner is valid. Counsel dodges the question and says that it's up the Chairman.
    Barton then gets frustrated and says that Weiner's disagreement is invalid because the Republicans complied - Weiner just disagrees about what constitutes compliance. Barton also points out that the actual way of dealing with this debate is a 5-minute rule. Chairman is about to end debate, but then Frank Pallone (D - NJ) says that Chairman can't end debate on point of order.
    Weiner then re-iterates his point that the proposed legislation doesn't really address the new house law. Barton gets really pissed and says that the Counsel has already stated that the point of order is not proper and that they must move to a 5-minute debate.
    Jan Schkowsky (D-IL), who has been trying to get in a word over the past 20 minutes starts on a gigantic rant about how everyone has ignored her for the past 20 minutes. She was trying to make Pallone's point that the point of order can't be overruled without debate.
    Pallone argues that you can't just end debate on a point of order. Suggest they move to 5-minute debate.
    Schkowsky objects to Chairman's decision to rule on the point of order, and then a gigantic flame war goes on about whether they have the right to object about the motion to strike this debate from the record and rule on the point of order. No one's really sure, however, what Schkowsky is specifically objecting to.
    Chairman temporarily suspends debate, then Schkowsky comes in again and objects because as a woman she isn't even being allowed to speak.
    Weiner then comes in to defend Schkowsky and argues that Chairman can't allocate time randomly. Barton then contacts the rules committee, and clarifies the meaning of the rule. States that the point of introduction is the only time at which the rule is enforceable. The question of whether the issue is a matter of debate can be decided during voting, but you can't issue a point of order against the content of the filing. Barton says you have to move to 5-minute debate under this ruling.
    Weiner says that the rules committee is all controlled by Republicans and starts on another rant about how the rules committee is wrong and that Pallone had made a motion for unanimous consent and that Schkowsky was recognized to speak but didn't get a chance to speak.
    Then...a bunch of arguing over who has the right to object and talk and whether the clock was on or not. Debate shifts towards arguing over the unanimous consent motion filed by Pallone...Schkowsky gets 5 minutes to rant about how the committee is managed and how no one's conforming to the rules. Tammy Baldwin (D - Wisconsin) chimes in to say that all her constitutional filings include specific reference to actual clauses of the constitution.
    Chairman then gets his 5 minutes to present the bill and presents the bill's contents (which is to amend the health care act so that it doesn't cover abortion). Pallone then goes back all the way back to the original argument about how they can't establish the constitutionality of the bill.
    TLDR of the TLDS: TIL that you can interrupt anyone in the House just by screaming "POINT OF ORDER!""

Default Re: Republicans make mockery of their "needs to be constitutional" House rule.

I know it is an hour long guys, but it is a very important video to watch. 12 hours with no posts makes a sad emoticon.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Republicans make mockery of their "needs to be constitutional" House rule.

An hour is a lot of time to spend to be told politicians are hypocrites.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

His last name is Weiner
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

If you expect me to be disappointed in life, then I can assure you that I was disappointed in life looooong ago.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Republicans are screaming hypocrites? Next you'll post a video suggesting that Democrats are spineless wimps in thrall to a conflicting array of special interest groups. And I will be amazed.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, I couldn't think of where else to post this, as it doesn't really deserve it's own thread. My aim is not to rebut this thread and it's point in any way. In fact, it may just support the OP by pointing out how extremely rare it is for politicians of any type, like Republicans who claim to love the constitution, to actually think about the constitution.
    GOP rep: I made a 'terrible mistake' in last year's Patriot Act vote
    A California Republican said Friday that he made a "terrible mistake" in previously voting to extend provisions of the Patriot Act that allow the government to hack into e-mail and bank accounts without a search warrant.

Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) said on Fox Business Network that it is the reason why the Patriot Act "is so dangerous."

RELATED ARTICLES
    Ron Paul slams Patriot Act at conference
    "A year ago, I made a terrible mistake and voted to extend those provisions of the Patriot Act," he said. "But the more that I learned, the more that I researched, it became crystal clear to me this that this is not only an affront to our bill of rights, but it's a fundamental challenge to our freedom."
    McClintock was asked about House Republicans shying away from extended debate and hearings on the act.

"They're afraid of terrorism and an organized fifth column in our country, but look at our history," he said. "We have faced far more malignant and powerful governments and far better organized networks of spies and saboteurs in this country before without having to shred our constitution. This is no time to start."

The House is expected to finish up work on an extension of Patriot Act surveillance authorities next week.
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder