Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unification of the Isles: Britannia Hotseat (completed, winners Myth and Zim)

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default Unification of the Isles: Britannia Hotseat (completed, winners Myth and Zim)

Kingdoms Campaign Britannia Hotseat

Settings:
    1.5 patch
    M/M
    Autoresolve only

Rules
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Players shall post a link to the save game in the main game thread and also send a private message to the next player in line to alert them that it is their turn. The save game file should follow the naming convention UotI-turn number-faction (eg. LS-1-Antioch)

- Players have 48 hours to play each turn, with extensions granted at request. The GM will skip a players' turn if the deadline is missed with no communication and a sub allied to the player cannot be found.

- No spies may be used to open the gates of settlements or forts.

- Siege equipment may only be used to open gates as follows: Ballista can open nothing, Catapults can open wooden walls, Trebuchets can open stone walls.

- No destroying buildings for cash under any circumstances.

- No fighting losing defensive battles on purpose in a besieged city, just to deny the invader the sacking option.

- If an army is beaten in battle by a faction that is after them in the turn order that army may not move on the following turn.

- An army which is beaten in battle may not be attacked on the following turn (because it is immobilized either by the game mechanic or by the rule above) by any faction unless it has retreated to a fort or settlement.

- No exploits, including (but not limited to): no merchant forts, no surround-and-destroy, no tribute deals that deliberately put you into debt greater than 10k, no deliberate diplomatic exchange of territories just to get a free garrison, no tribute deals with or monetary gifts to the Pope, no attacking ships in ports.

Players:
    England - Myth
    Norway - Zim
    Wales - Ignoramus
    Ireland - Nightbringer
    Scotland - Cecil XIX RIP Turn 4
    Baron's Alliance - phonicsmonkey

Very first save for England:

UotI
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 11-08-2011 at 06:52. Reason: prefix
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Unification of the Isles: Britannia Hotseat

The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

So the naming scheme is UotI - Faction to have it's turn - turn number we just played?

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

I guess
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Yes

UotI-1-Scotland.zip

Scotland!!

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a problem with the save. When I unzip it's missing the ".sav" in the filename, it doesn't load and it's much too small.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 03-01-2011 at 20:54.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Blog Entries

Worked great!

UotI-Norway-1

Ireland's save.

OK guys I found two exploits both by accident :) The first one is that in-game messages can be read by opening the save file (found that at work when I opened the one you guys said is corrupt).

The second exploit is that when a diplomat unit tries bribing an enemy settlement and is rejected your king gets one dread. Do this x number of times and you max out your dread for free in one turn.

I propose we don't use the in-game messaging system and that we agree to not abuse the diplomacy dread (diplodread?) thing as having a king with 10 dread for everyone is just silly.

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    The first one is that in-game messages can be read by opening the save file (found that at work when I opened the one you guys said is corrupt).
    Did you open it with a text editor or something?

The second exploit is that when a diplomat unit tries bribing an enemy settlement and is rejected your king gets one dread. Do this x number of times and you max out your dread for free in one turn.
    I'm fine with not using the in-game messaging. I don't like it anyway as there's no record of it for later (unless you do what myth did I guess). Maybe with the other thing, if people want to keep trying to bribe settlements (something I never bother with myself), we could say perhaps one bribe attempt per diplomat per turn as a guide?

PS. lol @ diplodread
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Eh, I spoke to Nightbringer - he said he hasn't messaged Wales. I suppose what i saw (yes I opened it with note pad) was actual camaign text a-la council missions, only made to look like diplomacy from the other nations. The bribe thing however - if you get an instance where you always get rejected (like say at the end of your turn when you are broke) this means that in 10-12 turns you can have a 10 dread general, and autocalc tends to favor that a lot. I'm not going to use this, i prefer a king wiht chiv instead.

Eh, I spoke to Nightbringer - he said he hasn't messaged Wales.
    NB, don't make me come over there....

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post

Sorry, I misunderstood - thought you were up to your old tricks again and forgetting to send pms..

Why would someone try opening a save with notepad?

Eh, I spoke to Nightbringer - he said he hasn't messaged Wales. I suppose what i saw (yes I opened it with note pad) was actual camaign text a-la council missions, only made to look like diplomacy from the other nations. The bribe thing however - if you get an instance where you always get rejected (like say at the end of your turn when you are broke) this means that in 10-12 turns you can have a 10 dread general, and autocalc tends to favor that a lot. I'm not going to use this, i prefer a king wiht chiv instead.

by opening the save file (found that at work when I opened the one you guys said is corrupt).
    This is why I guess

That's a what he did, not a why. Fiddling with the saves in notepad strikes me as opening up all sorts of avenues for abuse. Or at least it would if the files didn't come up as gibberish in notepad.

This is why I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    That's a what he did, not a why. Fiddling with the saves in notepad strikes me as opening up all sorts of avenues for abuse. Or at least it would if the files didn't come up as gibberish in notepad.
    I think what he meant by that was that he was trying to figure out what was wrong with the save file.

Basically yes it was stated the file is smaller. I opened it assuming I'd get gibberish (which i did) then I saw a wall of plain ol' English.

I double checked and I think it's actually Wales's correspondence, not a part of the actual game. I won't open any more saves but since I know it can be exploited I told you guys (rather than reading the messages quietly which would have been to my advantage). So you can trust in my honesty as a player :)

I know what you were getting at. I just had never heard of someone opening a save in notepad in order to fix a corrupted save

I think what he meant by that was that he was trying to figure out what was wrong with the save file.
    I didn't think you would have cheated and the posted about it. It just seemed curious to me to try to open a hotseat save. One of the earliest hotseats here was marred by at least one person messing with files (in this case his game files) and accusations that at least one or two others were doing something similar. No offense meant.

Basically yes it was stated the file is smaller. I opened it assuming I'd get gibberish (which i did) then I saw a wall of plain ol' English.

I double checked and I think it's actually Wales's correspondence, not a part of the actual game. I won't open any more saves but since I know it can be exploited I told you guys (rather than reading the messages quietly which would have been to my advantage). So you can trust in my honesty as a player :)

Blog Entries

I was merely curious, I am no programmer nor do i know how to mod MTW. I double clicked just for the hell of it :)

It appears that our diplomacy thread is a bit on the slow side though. BTW do we actually send our diplomats to the Isle of Man in game?

Nah, that would just be annoying. Although i guess ti could be convient for trade rights and map info trades.

Nah, that would just be annoying. Although i guess ti could be convient for trade rights and map info trades.
    It's usually handy in these games to send all diplomats to the same place. In the bigger games it tends to be Baghdad or Rome. There's no obligation though.

The autoresolve gods have failed me at the battle of random castle outside of Wick. Is this the end of Norway? Well, not this turn, but maybe soon.

England.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...id=201&id=8806

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast