Thread: Random Crashes and Other Problems

Default Random Crashes and Other Problems

I've been having a problem with EB, and I don't really know how to fix it. There is no consistent problem it is just random, and I never had this problem before. EB says I need 1.5 patch but when I had 1.3 the game worked fine and never crashed. Now when I re-installed the game later with 1.5 it crashes a lot randomly, all the time. Mostly when starting a battle, ending battle, starting a turn, or ending a turn. Sometimes it can happen from just clicking a settlement! And sometimes I click that settlement again later and nothing happens. This wouldn't be much of a problem if it didn't happen every 15 minutes! The two most annoying problems I have though are: 1: When I tab down sometimes I can't open it again, I will click on it and nothing will happen, and sometimes I will click on it, it will re-load the game 3/4ths of the way then minimize again.
    2: It will say I already have another RTW game running so I can't run EB, but I do not have another RTW game running and the only fix is to restart my computer all over again. Main note: Worked fine with 1.3, works bad with 1.5. Why is this, and what are my options so I may fix it?

Update: Not even working at all at the moment. I open it, screen turns black normally, then it minimizes while its icon in the toolbar flashes orange. Each time I try to open it it just does the same thing over and over again.
    Last edited by Beignet-LeCochon; 02-26-2011 at 14:16. Reason: New Info
    Etiam Imperator!

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: Random Crashes and Other Problems

After reading it I would suggest a complete clean new installation outside of Program Files if you use Vista/Win7!
    Don't forget the fixes, this clears the pre-battle CTD's.

More random crashes and their solutions are covered in the [url=https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=103681]frequent issues]/url].

Running RTW in windowed mode and a neutral task (explorer) in the background helps.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Well, I re-installed it outside my programs folder and so far (only been playing for about 5 min) some of the problems seem fixed. Now when I launch it it works consistently, at least so far. But when I minimize it, I am still unable to re-open the folder. Now this doesn't seem like a problem, but you need to remember that there are popups sometimes and the fact that my computer minimizes any game if I adjust the sound in any way. Which means if I turn the sound up just a little, the game becomes unplayable, and I need to close it and start over again.

Update: Never mind, it still is having problems opening.
    Last edited by Beignet-LeCochon; 02-27-2011 at 14:15.
    Etiam Imperator!

How do I run it in windowed mode?
    Etiam Imperator!

Change the option in the EB-Configuration dialogue or, if you are using a shortcut, add -ne to the end of the target line.
    In the same way, disable movies, -nm is the command.

Try running EB with admin rights and in compatibility mode, maybe this helps.

Did you check the ingame chrashes in this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=103681 ?

XSamatan

When these problem going to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by MontySpear View Post
    When these problem going to solve?
    Most of them never. They are hardcoded 'features' inside the RTW engine. EB is a mod that maxes all of RTW'S limits fully out so small problems in Vanilla can becoem a pain in the ass. Stick to the advices given in the linked thread and you'll be fine in most cases.

XSamatan