Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First impressions thread

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: First impressions thread

played a set piece battle, love it. first for a total war game since medieval.

odd bug:

when the battle finsihed and the notification pops up on screen my mouse pointer disappeared.

i could ctl+alt+del back to desktop, and go back into the game, but never get my mouse back to select the dialogue that would take me back to the main menu.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Shogun 2 is currently the most played game on Steam with 21,292 concurrent players. Which is the first time anything other than an FPS has held the top spot (even if temporarily) in a long time. Congratulations CA, looks like you hit a home-run in both numbers and fan reaction.

I played more campaign play last evening as Mori and actually lost.It seems gone are the days where one can destroy full stacks with just few units. 1500 strong Ouchi army did short work from my pesky army and captured my home castle while i could do little to stop that from happening. Lovely!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I'm playing a short Mori campaign on normal. I'm trying to take it slow as far as aggression goes other than taking the missions given. I have the mamoth (3 provinces to my 1) Amako clan on the ropes (I think) but now the "friendly" Kikkawa clan has declared war on me...and I'm stretched a little thin.

So far, the AI has done a respectable job. In a siege attack, it came at me from three directions, which kept me busy. After the Amako besiegers were defeated, their decimated army then did the only thing they could do - attacked and damaged the gold mine I was building. Quite annoying.

For this first campaign, I have the advisor on high and he/she have been very helpful. I am enjoying myself so far - seeing it is after 3am and I didn't really want to quit playing. I'm hoping tomorrow evening stays open to see if I can hold off the Kikkawa clan threat.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening View Post
    Personally, I think you're all mental for buying this game considering how atrocious Total War and Creative Assembly have been in the past few years. Nonetheless I'm reading this forum with interest just to see if your faith has been rewarded. I won't buy this game no matter what, but a friend of mine did and on the first siege he had the AI moved one single unit to attack his city and it obviously got annihilated. After that the AI just stood there and took the missile hits. Sounds like the "good old days" of Total War to me. But that's his experience, anyone here had any sieges yet? They were just disasterous in Empire.
    I know what u mean Quick but i caved in and downloaded the game last night. ETW was a real let down i probably played only one campain on that game, didnt even bother with NTW but the demo for shogun felt soo good.........
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

There should be an option in the files to slow down unit speed by home modding foop. I haven't got the game, but it was there in previous TWs.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

You could always just play the battles at half speed via the slider.

Originally posted by Gregoshi
    After the Amako besiegers were defeated, their decimated army then did the only thing they could do - attacked and damaged the gold mine I was building. Quite annoying.
    And quite encouraging too. If the AI does the right thing on normal, i mean :)

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

anyone know the full timeline yet?

i had heard 60 years, which means 240 turns and thus excellent, but some say only over fifty years which is 200+ turns and thus less awesome.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper The Builder View Post
    This awful Japanese game won't sell as much as Empire.

Plus in Empire, you had loads of factions, with Shogan you can only play Japanese............BOORRRRRIIIIIINNG
    Awful Japanese game? Boring?

Saying that games like Shogun are boring because there's one single faction is at best, tactless.

And selling as much as Empire, look at the Steam stats right now which will surely disprove your theory. And no, Empire was a disaster from the AI side. Gameplay and depth, very very good, but everything else was more or less a disaster.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Awful Japanese game? Boring?

Saying that games like Shogun are boring because there's one single faction is at best, tactless.

And selling as much as Empire, look at the Steam stats right now which will surely disprove your theory. And no, Empire was a disaster from the AI side. Gameplay and depth, very very good, but everything else was more or less a disaster.
    I have to disgree with one thing for me Empire didnt have any depth either otherwise i agree and maybe even feel insulted a little that someone would call the setting that got me interested in Total War in the first place boring!

We ALL have our TW prejudices and biases, so let's not get too bent out of shape if someone doesn't share our opinion of the each TW title - no matter how wrong they are.

heh, yeah, for every new setting, the people who liked the previous one are totally dissapointed, disgusted even at times. When Medieval came out, the ancient warfare buffs were gloomy while the medieval buffs in high spirits. Once Emipre came out, all the sword and buckle fans were slashing wrists and all the gunpowder enthusiasts came out of teh woodwork (many totally new). All the while the Sengoku fans were in grumpy whinning mode. Once S2 was announced everyone was dissapointed (as tehy all expected Rome 2 :), except for the few that were into Sengoku - but eventually this changedover time. To be continued... ;)

What is teh attraction for teh fans of each period is exactly what drives away its critics. For Sengoku is the uniform and smaller rosters, the uniform culture/civilwar scenario, the "small" map and timeframe. Those are exactly its strengths too; uniform and small rosters make for better balance and so better AI performance in battle, uniform culture allows in depth exploration and portrayal of it, and small map/timeframe makes the game more personalised without oversimplifications of provinces or turns that last yaers each. The civil war/unite the country setting, is also perfect for TW; diplomacy is at best used to buy time and its everyone against all in effect, which is what the TW AI understands best.

Its also a matter of which periods you know - some people dislike crtain periods because they know little about them. In that case though the game can be a tool to learn and explore the period too.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

This awful Japanese game won't sell as much as Empire.

Plus in Empire, you had loads of factions, with Shogan you can only play Japanese............BOORRRRRIIIIIINNG
    Empire is an amazing game, what the hell you talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Its also a matter of which periods you know - some people dislike crtain periods because they know little about them. In that case though the game can be a tool to learn and explore the period too.
    Exactly what happened to me with STW. I knew little about Japanese history and culture and honestly did have ANY interest in it at all. But the TW concept was so revolutionary back then, I just had to try the game - Japan or no. The game really turned me on to things Japanese though, so for that I am grateful and I can fully enjoy Shogun 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    We ALL have our TW prejudices and biases, so let's not get too bent out of shape if someone doesn't share our opinion of the each TW title - no matter how wrong they are.
    It bears repeating...

just to clear any confusion my comments were totally tongue in cheek (expect the bit about empire being crap and being insulted and .. did i mention you smell? anyway..)

but for those who do get into it you MUST read Shogun and the game will take on a whole new meaning.
    Last edited by crpcarrot; 03-17-2011 at 17:50. Reason: Replaced profanity and correct my aweful typing

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Exactly what happened to me with STW. I knew little about Japanese history and culture and honestly did have ANY interest in it at all. But the TW concept was so revolutionary back then, I just had to try the game - Japan or no. The game really turned me on to things Japanese though, so for that I am grateful and I can fully enjoy Shogun 2 as well.
    I can say the same thing about Rome. Had zero interest in the ancient world at the time. I can honestly say that Rome: Total War turned me onto one hell of a lot of stuff that I'm really fascinated by nowadays.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Inappropriate comment removed. -Kagemusha

I like Shogun 2.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-17-2011 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe View Post
    The reason why not many were impressed with Shogun 2,because they were racist.
    I think that is a bit extreme. Lack of interest or knowledge is the likely answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe View Post
    The reason why not many were impressed with Shogun 2,because they were racist.
    i don't think there is any evidence to back that up.

I would like to remind everyone that we have certain rules around here, which everyone should follow. Personal attacks and verbal attacks against groups of people are not tolerated.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-17-2011 at 18:37.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Fighting over why a game is likable and why it's not by others was banned 24 years ago.

anyone know if seasons actually make a difference to unit speeds on the campaign map, or unit upkeep when campaigning?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    anyone know if seasons actually make a difference to unit speeds on the campaign map, or unit upkeep when campaigning?

cheers
    I doubt it has any effect on campaign map, only difference I can think of is the weathers effect on how fast units get tired in battle.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

It was my impression playing tonight that winter movement on the campaign map was slower by about 1/4 or 1/3 less than other seasons. Units moving from Aki castle to Iwami castle could just about make it in one season. During the winter, however, they seemed to make it up the north road into Iwami but stopped right after turning eastward towards the castle.

i'd lovw to see this confirmed, as it it would be an amazing addition given that there would all of a sudden be an ideal campaigning season.

any more takers?

Blog Entries

There's also attrition during the winter, I usually hunker down and stay on my own turf unless I am absolutely sure I can do a siege assault and win.

units also dont get replenished on enemy ground making. I am not certian but i also think movement was less during winter.

i cant officially confirm it but im certain that units move less during winter and suffer attrition when not within your own territory in the winter.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast