Thread: Demo - what should I test?

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

Default Demo - what should I test?

Hey!

I just downloaded the Demo via Steam to make sure my computer can handle the game befre buying it.

Any things I should try out in particular, to see if the performance during the game will be fine?
    Like... are there any parametres I should try or any special situations ingame that'll challenge my hardware more than others?

Thanks
    TLD
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Demo - what should I test?

I can't recall what was in the demo - I have some memory of the tutorial having quite a large night-time siege assault battle, so if there is something like that it would be a good test of what your computer can handle. Naval battles might also cause an issue for older computers.

In the past, I've found TW games can run on quite a wide variety of hardware by varying the graphics settings, but the quality of the experience is equally varied. ETW naval battles were agonisingly sluggish on my old computer and the land battles were ugly; on a new computer, they are both gorgeous. Try out different graphics settings and see how they feel.

My impression is that full versions of games often perform better than demos though.

Thanks! Yes I have had the same impression in the past, about better performance from full versions but that'sok, as it makes me kind of secure, when a Demo works the full version will work at least as good on my computer ;)

So, I tested it and it works out well with medium graphics and that's fine for me...
    Now I have another question. The Demo was a Download of about 5GB, so is there a way to "upgrade" the Demo to the full version instead of downloading the whole game anew on purchase? 'Cause in the Demo Menu it looks like everything is there, the buttons I can't use are just greyed out...

If you're concerned about the full game's download size buy the disc version. It ties in to steam exactly the same, and saves you a massive download because you install from the disc. It's also a lot cheaper, at least where I am.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I'm not really "concerned", rather curious if it's really necessary to download the full game once you have the Demo installed which seems like it has the features but just has them locked ;)

Thanks for the advice though, although there's 2 problems with the disc version:
    1. I have to wait for monday :D
    2. It's not really cheaper, where I live

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

w.r.t. exhaustive testing, i wouldnt bother if i were you, since there's a patch coming out fairly soon which adds dx11 paths to the game, enables FSAA etc, which (i assume) isnt in the demo (doubt there would be a patch for the demo or an updated version but you never know). My suggestion - play the game see if you like it - dont get bogged down in the graphics.

As for the redownload thing, i would expect you'd have to redownload. Unless you can find an 'enter a product key to upgrade to full version' button somewhere in the demo...