Thread: So I am thinking of doing another reading contest.

Default So I am thinking of doing another reading contest.

The past month I have been discovering for the first time the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on my Kindle since it was free in the public domain. I kind of want to incorporate my newly found love for the series with a summer reading contest that will start when I get off from uni around June.

The problem is that not many people really participated in my last contest. Maybe because it stretched on too long. I would like some hints or tips or suggestions from people on how to generate a lot of buzz and participation for the next contest.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So I am thinking of doing another reading contest.

Basically, your last contest was gambling. We would say a number, we would wait and eventually one of us would be right. It wasn't really engaging. Think of a way for your participants to come back to your contest or at least have a bigger input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

If you're reading Sherlock Holmes stories you'll most likely finish all the short stories and the novels before you leave off.
    That's stuff you just can't put down once you've started.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    If you're reading Sherlock Holmes stories you'll most likely finish all the short stories and the novels before you leave off.
    That's stuff you just can't put down once you've started.
    This is absolutely true. I am about to read all of A Study in Scarlet in three days. I haven't read a whole book in three days since....ever.